Site Improvement Requests, 2008 Q2

Official postings from the admins and moderators. Report bugs and make forum improvement requests here as well.

Site Improvement Requests, 2008 Q2

Postby nianfong on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Please post any ideas you may have for site improvements here. I will start new threads every quarter or so to keep the thread relatively clean.
nianfong
Administrator

Re: Site Improvement Requests, 2008 Q2

Postby nianfong on Fri May 02, 2008 3:10 pm

from meeks:
is it possible to make external links open in a new window?

I think if we do this we'd have to make it an option for users to choose, because some people like it, some people don't.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 02, 2008 4:35 pm

Would be really nice to be able to either view or maybe "export" (at least as HTML) an entire topic.
The old (existing) EF does that every time you hit 'reply', it appends the entire topic at the bottom. Which is of course not the brightest idea; that's what made the original TNT thread so slow and cumbersome...

This version resolved that problem by limiting the "TOPIC REVIEW" content (below the posting text box) to 10 latest posts (e.g. go to posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=2, and scroll down). BUT, now there seems to be (am I missing it?) no way to see the entire topic.

Would be awesome to either have a option there to "show all", or something along those lines. Or, have "export topic" link similar to how IPBoard does it (at the top-right nest to the topic title.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 pm

When writing a post I can change text colour, but not font size - that would be a nice feature.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 02, 2008 11:09 pm

The old board would resize an Avatar for you. Now you get:

"The submitted avatar is 321 pixels wide and 500 pixels high. Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 90 pixels wide and 90 pixels high."

Can it be made to do the hard work for you?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat May 03, 2008 12:08 am

nianfong wrote:from meeks:
is it possible to make external links open in a new window?

I think if we do this we'd have to make it an option for users to choose, because some people like it, some people don't.

plus you have to edit the database in order to install that mod.

the wife spent the better part of the day working on it.

if you don't know: editing the database = BAD
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Sat May 03, 2008 8:09 pm

I agree with the exporting option. On Cyberkwoon, when you display a thread for printing, you have the option to remove the pagination, like this:
http://cyberkwoon.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... rel=-10000

I think that CK is also using phBB, so it should be feasable. Then, you just save the whole shebang on the HD, in order to back it up.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun May 04, 2008 12:51 pm

On the old board you could display the 10 most recent posts - I find this very useful. Can it be added to this board?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun May 04, 2008 3:14 pm

GrahamB wrote:On the old board you could display the 10 most recent posts - I find this very useful. Can it be added to this board?

This one does better than that. There's a 'Search User's Posts' link on the right side on the user account page, and it returns ALL posts, sorted by date in descending order. 8)
E.g. search.php?author_id=65&sr=posts
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 11, 2008 5:38 pm

GrahamB wrote:The old board would resize an Avatar for you. Now you get:

"The submitted avatar is 321 pixels wide and 500 pixels high. Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 90 pixels wide and 90 pixels high."

Can it be made to do the hard work for you?

Don't know if this is new, but I just added my avatar and got the same error message. On the same page, there's a line where you can specify the avatar dimensions, so I plugged in 90 x 90 and that solved the problem.
Michael

Postby Michael on Mon May 12, 2008 5:58 am

I wonder if URL's are a different default color from normal text?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday

WIkipedia

Yep. I like it.
Last edited by Michael on Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 am

FEATURE REQUEST

Is there a way for a user to control how many threads and posts are displayed by default on each page?
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 12, 2008 6:31 am

OK I got a feature request too... (Sorry Ashe and Fong...)
I would love to have keyboard shortcuts for italics, bold and underline (Ctrl+I, Ctrl+B and Ctrl+U) when writing a post...

I've used it a lot in the past.

Not a huge deal, -- but since we're creating a wish list, I just thought I'd put this in.

Thanks.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Tue May 13, 2008 5:45 am

Can we have it jump back to the forum list after you click the "mark all as read" button rather than the forum you were just at and wanted to mark as read because you didnt want to read anymore?

also THANKS awesome job with the forum. a beer for all of you as i find you around the world

Craig.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 am

Alright I got one more... It is only becoming noticeable now, since we have a bunch of people posting... But in the old forum the forum would get marked as 'read' (icon change) after I read/opened at least one of the new threads. Here, it forces me to explicitly mark them all as read (link on the top-right), which takes a couple seconds every time (which BTW made me realize that I do that/use that 'read'/'unread' functionality a lot...)

There is of course the very cool 'View new posts' link which does the trick, but the view is "flat" there...

Anyway, I can certainly HTFU and learn to live with it, but if there are enough others who might be used to using the forum the same way as me, and if it's not that big of a deal, then maybe we could tweak that behavior... Pleeeze... -bow-
Dmitri
Great Old One

Next

Return to Official News and Communication