please read: server migration in progress

Official postings from the admins and moderators. Report bugs and make forum improvement requests here as well.

please read: server migration in progress

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:48 pm

i am moving rsf to a new and better server today. please be patient with any outages. i'm shutting down the site for a bit while i move the database. there should be minimum downtime.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Re: please read: server migration in progress

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 pm

What is the purpose of making a real-time announcement that you're shutting down the site? It only makes sense if you do it before or after. I was in the middle of a lengthy PM when the changes occurred, yes really, great timing, huh. 'Course I've brought this to your attention previously so apparently this is all falling on deaf ears or something.

By the way, if you can't read this message, please open your eyes.
Michael

Postby Bhassler on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah, man, how dare you provide this website for all these people who you don't know and have never met for free, doing all the work behind the scenes on your own time and largely out of your own pocket without consulting me so as to better operate at my convenience? Don't you know who I am???!??!
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:48 am

How do you know any of that, Hassler? If you do know, you're better informed than I am. I have no idea how this site is run in spite of trying to communicate on this topic and raise money during this time, as well as donating myself. I'm baffled as to why he made any announcement at all.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 am

My sense of entitlement is outraged! OUTRAGED I TELL YOU!

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/image/64186936538
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:32 am

entitlement sucks. the more you give the less the gratitude.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:33 pm

UnCarved wrote:entitlement sucks. the more you give the less the gratitude.

This is absolutely not a case of misplaced feeling of entitlement or lack of gratitude. If you do not communicate then the result is confusion that looks like entitlement or ingratitude. The most basic communication that is absent on RSF between all the admins/mods/techs and the other members is something I think is a problem.

I'm asking you a simple question: why didn't you post the notice about the server change before making the change?
Michael

Postby Finny on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:23 am

Jesus. Maybe it was on his list of things to do, but you know, LIFE got in the way and he forgot?

Maybe he figured letting people know as it happens was all that was required?

Maybe he didn't think it was a big deal? Why is it a big deal? Because you lost the couple of minutes you'd spent writing a PM?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:05 am

Finny wrote:Why is it a big deal? Because you lost the couple of minutes you'd spent writing a PM?

No, obviously not, the intention for my post was not that. It was just an example I gave of how moving the server has negative consequences that can be avoided with advanced notice.

I'm asking for basic communication from the admins about what's going on with RSF and the server move is just a small example. My frame of reference goes back to 2008-9 when a lack of communication led to certain problems and I'd like to avoid problems resulting from people with the responsibility for this place not being given the help they might need. As I stated back then, I think there could be, and in IMHO there should be, more support from RSF members for the admins, but without any communication there's little that can be done, and only the admins can make a move in that direction.

I don't know why the responsibility of the technical side should be only one person's to carry and I don't wish to criticize Kelly, but again, without regular communication that's how this comes off. I have wondered in the past, and now with this server move, if he needs some kind of additional support because to do this kind of thing without advanced notice is contrary to everything I know about IT management.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 am

The new thing is kicking me out after a relatively short time (a few hours?); seems like a cookie expiration problem or something along those lines... Re-logging in is not too big of a deal, but it is annoying, esp. since it wasn't the case before.

The old server worked great, in that regard -- i.e. it's not a client-side problem (also because it's happening on all the different computers/devices I use to access the site.)

Any ideas, Kelley?

TIA
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 am

yes, the "Log me on automatically each visit" feature isn't working for me either.

i'd like to take this opportunity to thank kelley for all the work he's done to make the forum run smoothly, technically.

thanks, kelley!

best...
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Dmitri wrote:The new thing is kicking me out after a relatively short time (a few hours?); seems like a cookie expiration problem or something along those lines... Re-logging in is not too big of a deal, but it is annoying, esp. since it wasn't the case before.

The old server worked great, in that regard -- i.e. it's not a client-side problem (also because it's happening on all the different computers/devices I use to access the site.)

Any ideas, Kelley?

TIA

You ungrateful, constantly bitching small-minded person. You are entitled to shit. Is it such a big deal to log in again and again on each and every single visit? How dare you, making your "polite" little "suggestions" to "improve" something. You make me sick...

;)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:29 pm

I know... I can barely live with myself... :'(
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Lol. Nothing evokes complaints so much as a something that is obtained for free. ;D
RSF rocks.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Since the server move over a week ago, I have been unable to access RSF directly, by typing http://rumsoakedfist.org into my browser as I previously did either with a VPN or without. Now I have to go through a web proxy on top of the VPN, which is working intermittently.

I used ipaddress.net to lookup the rumsoakedfist.org IP address and got 184.106.94.35, which is an unlinked landing page for something called Bighead Software.

Whois shows the name registrar is godaddy and was updated on the day of the server move, but all the pertinent info. is handled by Domains By Proxy, LLC.

Is there an IP address I can use for RSF so that I can t-shoot my DNS issues that started on the day of the server move?

On a few occasions I did not have to use a web proxy to access RSF, but had to keep logging in, so it seemed the persistent cookie function was not working, which is the same problem Dmitri reported.
Michael

Next

Return to Official News and Communication