Feck Qi. Its not what counts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Feck Qi. Its not what counts

Postby Andy_S on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 am

RE: Doc's post:
For MA whippersnappers out there, some "good questions:"
"You are pretty good, but are you as good as Bruce Lee?"
"Yes, but will that technique work if I do THIS?"
"Has anyone done the death touch on you? Did it work?"
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 am

Doc Stier wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:.....if your teacher is waxing nostalgic about how tough they had to train (and the exercises that they trained that they are no longer teaching or working on) the questions to ask are "what were those exercises" "why am I not being taught that way" and "how do I learn those exercises and learn them properly"?

Right on, Ken! 8-)

All too often, students fail to get the information and knowledge they're seeking simply because they don't ask the right questions. With very few exceptions, I am rarely asked good questions, and almost never asked the same questions which I asked my teachers. Go figure! :-\

In my experience, it is almost always necessary to explain why the system is built up like it is both before and while teaching it. I guess the understanding of jibengong and its pros are a bit more obvious and culturally ingrained in China - not that everybody wants to do them, but the idea itself is around, so people already know about it and have heard that the really good ones spent time on it.

In my teaching experience, explanation as to why really helps people to learn how and what. That´s why I keep putting stuff available on the Web and in articles, to at least offer the opportunity for people to learn about the background and reasons for building up the practice. There will still be those who don´t care, of course, but that´s the reason why I closed my doors and don´t teach openly anymore. 8-)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Have them find the alignment you're wanting them to experience/explore

Apply pressure to the alignment so they can feel what they're supposed to be feeling

Challenge the dynamics they apply to maintaining the alignment as pressure moves through various planes

No need for questions or answers

Instant ownership
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Very good post, Shooter.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 am

lazyboxer wrote:
jonathan.bluestein wrote:I dunno about you, but my infantry training was the worst. 40 Celsius, mid-summer, 4-6 hours of sleep for months on end, running or sprinting all day long with gear on, and eating crappy food all the while. Sometimes I just wanted to collapse and feint on purpose, but I knew my sadistic superiors would make my friends carry me for miles, and couldn't do that to them. Crawling through huge thorny bushes was fun, too. Took me a few months to take all the thorns out. I was lucky. Others got to crawl for hundreds of meters in T-shirts 'till they no longer had any skin left on their elbows or were seriously beat-up just for pissing off the superiors. Physically, worst time of my life. I'm still surprised no one tried to commit suicide, or at least threatened he'd do it. So basically, I was just surprised you saying you had a worse experience :-P

Josiah: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Obadiah: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home,our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Ezekiel: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

:)

The thing is, you can hate the people who inflict training like this on you.
Also: Most people forget that harsh training is used to build up comeraderie (english spelling, meh) between those enduring it ("You know, we went through the same shit."). That is what usually makes martial artists a community - we all know the pain of hard training. Now if people get lazy and do not train their (painful/boring/younameit) personal jibengong on their own it is understandable - it's mostly a lack of will to put yourself through all that shit. You have to be a bit crazy...

But talking about sleep deprivation...as a parent of two very young children...and this is going on for years now...well, let's not go into that. ;)
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan