The Combat Sphere principle

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Combat Sphere principle

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:01 pm

When I think of spherical energy in terms of ma, I always envision a gyroscopic steering mechanism within an iron ball that is constantly spinning while moving in any given direction at will, quite a formidable force. When I think of combating such energy, I consider ways to stop it's momentum, change it's direction and the ability to attack it's week side, the latter not being possible without first accomplishing the former.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby GaryR on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:When I think of spherical energy in terms of ma, I always envision a gyroscopic steering mechanism within an iron ball that is constantly spinning while moving in any given direction at will, quite a formidable force. When I think of combating such energy, I consider ways to stop it's momentum, change it's direction and the ability to attack it's week side, the latter not being possible without first accomplishing the former.

Very nice visualization/metaphor WD, I like it better than the marble for sure, mind if I use it??

best,

G
GaryR

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Come on man :D this is public domain. 8-) What we offer is to be shared, disputed, tweeked, and developed in any way possible or necessary ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

'm sorry if I come across harsh Interloper, I'm a nice guy in person-- I promise :).

Sure you are, Gary. :P

As to the two spheres colliding thing isn't that the whole basis of the wu-xing? Actually wu-xing, taiji, and bagua are all three slightly different versions of that IME.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am

To elaborate I've always seen Xing-yi as two spheres interacting to create a dynamic yin yang shape that has more of a "lengthwise" approach mostly due to the directionality of that art. That is to say: Forward. Taiji is more like two spheres that create a dynamic yin yang that rotate around one another. Mostly. Finally Bagua is more like a mix of the above two that is made of the same two spheres/dynamic yin yang shape, but utilizing an ever changing flow of 8 spatial octants (back, front, up, down, left, right)

Anyhoo, My 2c.

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan