Invisible JiuJitsu

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Invisible JiuJitsu

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

grzegorz wrote:Call it what you want marteking is marketing.

Just like Trump doesn't want to talk about "gun control", BJJ guys don't want to talk about "mobility" and "hit and run".
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:30 pm

johnwang wrote:

Just like Trump doesn't want to talk about "gun control", BJJ guys don't want to talk about "mobility" and "hit and run".

Not true - I'm a big believer in movement or mobility as your first form of defense. Just blogged about it today talking about one of RobP's Systema clips.

Gregorz is right about the marketing. I'm not a fan of that aspect. "In Judo we just call it Judo" lol :)

There's also a lot of Thatcher/Regan style consumerism marketing mixed with "self help" all wrapped up in the BJJ mix.

CMA can't talk though - the Taoist mountain warrior mystic sage qi marketing is strong out there. Any "adepts" out there? That's my favourite - lol. Then there's the internal power Aiki people...

Basically, most things have flaws. Just keep your head down and do your training and ignore it. That's my motto :)

Namaste.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:48 pm

GrahamB wrote:Basically, most things have flaws.

There will be no flaws the moment that you step in the ring or get on the mat. If you spar/wrestle 15 rounds daily, all the flaws will be gone.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Ha! True, but most of us have to work all day to support a family. :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby vbosch on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm

GrahamB wrote:
johnwang wrote:

Not true - I'm a big believer in movement or mobility as your first form of defense. Just blogged about it today talking about one of RobP's Systema clips.

Gregorz is right about the marketing. I'm not a fan of that aspect. "In Judo we just call it Judo" lol :)

There's also a lot of Thatcher/Regan style consumerism marketing mixed with "self help" all wrapped up in the BJJ mix.

CMA can't talk though - the Taoist mountain warrior mystic sage qi marketing is strong out there. Any "adepts" out there? That's my favourite - lol. Then there's the internal power Aiki people...

Basically, most things have flaws. Just keep your head down and do your training and ignore it. That's my motto :)

Namaste.

Those are some big words coming from someone that is from “the other side of the fence whose qi development is academic” as per his teacher.

Why do you feel the need to belittle other people when clearly your teacher thinks you are not up to par?

Maybe it would be best to actually be any good as per the model you try to train in before coming online into a forum and badmouth other people.
"Randori practise is something that is done to give life to the real power of those techniques that were learned through kata. That is to say, randori provides the power to complete a painted dragon by filling in the eyes." Kenji Tomiki
vbosch
Santi

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Good read.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks G for understanding, I am not criticizing business is business.

Most people that pop in and out of those gyms don't put in decades the way you, Pete and D have. Much respect...
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 am

grzegorz wrote:Thanks G for understanding, I am not criticizing business is business.

Most people that pop in and out of those gyms don't put in decades the way you, Pete and D have. Much respect...

Well, I've put in decades to *martial arts*, but not decades into BJJ yet, but if the Gods are willing I will. I'd quite like to be that 70 year old still on the mat and fighting the young bucks, but you don't know what cards you're going to be dealt :)

"There is no meaning without sacrifice" - I'm currently investigating the 'sacrifice' part of that equation following a nasty training injury. I'm out of surgery now though, and it's all looking good for the future. I'm slowly reaching the status of "gnarly old dude".... :)

And much respect to you too for keeping going after all these years with job/family commitments too. We must be equal parts crazy ;)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 am

vbosch wrote:
Those are some big words coming from someone that is from “the other side of the fence whose qi development is academic” as per his teacher.

Why do you feel the need to belittle other people when clearly your teacher thinks you are not up to par?

Maybe it would be best to actually be any good as per the model you try to train in before coming online into a forum and badmouth other people.

I don't know you, but that's a lovely way to introduce yourself to me.

I wasn't trying to badmouth anybody - I'm just agreeing with Greg that "marketing" is a part of all martial arts, and that's fine, but you don't have to buy into it to enjoy your training. Just train!

I think you are talking about Mike Sigman and you must be a member of the 6H forum. To be clear, he is definitely NOT my teacher. I am not his student. He has no association that I'm a member of. I'd consider him a friend. There is no "online course". He's simply shared some of his ideas online and encourages people to try it. I've been playing around with his ideas for about a year and a half now because I think they are full of intellectual rigor and at the same time entirely made up of practical "how to" things you can try yourself.

He often encourages people to post video so he can see how you're progressing. Most people don't, which is a shame as they're missing feedback. That quote you've put up there was in a post he made, using me as an example (because he knows me, and I give him a hard time about politics on Facebook :) ) of a typical guy with a background in martial arts who is trying to get a handle on his stuff. He also said this:

"Those instructors are trapped on the other side of the fence, just like Graham is. Graham, in his avocational approach, however, will get there, sooner or later ... I'm not sure about the XXXX people, but maybe some of them will. Hard to say.

The way to develop your functional qi is to establish the qi connections (not muscle) in your body and exercise them for a long time ... months, maybe a year or more, depending on how much effort you put into it. Reading about qi connections is not going to give the ability to you ... it takes long persistent work."

(He named a martial art in the XXXX which I've deleted as it would just cause a needless argument on this thread. I suspect you, "vbosh" from Spain, are an instructor in XXXX martial art? I really have no personal interest in stoking arguments about the validity of any martial art, or group - I think everyone should be free to train what they want to train. It's your life - go for it.)

Mike summation of my "avocational approach" is exactly right for my approach to his stuff. My main training interest is in BJJ these days, so I fit in other things around it. (however since my accident I've not been able to train BJJ so I've been doing a lot more CMA, hence those videos and working more on Mike's stuff). What you need to understand is how high Mike's standards are - I'm pretty sure he wouldn't consider *anybody* on this forum to have got very far in internal martial arts. His honesty is rather abrasive, and hard on the ego, but also what you need if you're going to kick your own ass to try harder and 'get it'. Following his post I did kick my own ass and tried harder- I really focussed on what I was blind to and I put up another video a week later and he said this:

"Graham, this is interesting. You were able to extend and connect/maintain as you moved. That's half of it. Better controls will come with time. Surprised me how you made that leap that quickly."

Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/255157717

You can make of that what you will.

Adios.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bjffm on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 am

I am a BJJ blackbelt and I had the chance to train with Rickson as well as with Minoru Akuzawa, Alex Kostic, Vasiliev and Torsten Kanzmeier so I think I can judge pretty good what Rickson is doing in comparsion to other BJJ Blackbelts.

From my experience Rickson feels completly different than most other BJJ blackbelts. I rolled with and ADCC World Champion and also with one of his brothers and many other blackbelts and Rickson is very different.

When I mounted him he just escaped easy without much effort yet when he was mounting me I couldn´t move him at all. Rickson is a master when it comes to weight distribution and structure on the ground and he is really able to transfer his weight into you even when he is on the bottom. Actually he is my inspiration when it comes to BJJ and my own BJJ is influenced a lot by internal training.

If you are interested I have an own youtube channel and here is a video in which I explain some of the "invisible" BJJ techniques. I use it a lot and it works awsome:

Last edited by bjffm on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
bjffm
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am

Greetings Björn - thanks for the video!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:17 am

@vbosch,

Sigman is well known in the US IMA community. I have debated him on and off for well over two decades in fact at one time he used to post here. I have nothing against him as a person I just see things very differently but you should be aware that he has very some strong opinions and I will just leave it at that.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan