Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Postby Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

charles wrote:General wisdom suggests that there are two starting points to "internal". One can start off with "hard" style training and, eventually, gradually, become "softer" and more "internal". The opposite approach is to start off "soft" and "empty" and eventually, gradually, become "harder". Different starting points with different training paths. Which to use depends upon the style and teacher.

This mainly depends from whence you start as well. For example, internal training today usually starts with the dantian. Some arts start with the hands or the feet. This is perceived as internal or external but it's the same process, just starting from a different place.

charles wrote:The story is told of Hong, in his advanced years, stating that he was physically too weak to pick up a nearby stone. However, he could, even in his weak and frail condition, easily manipulate people who were much bigger, heavier and stronger than he was. One of the things that it points out is that Taijiquan, generally, isn't a method for manipulating inanimate objects: ...

I agree with you about inanimate objects, but what do you make of the recent Chen Zhonghua interview where he states that Hong was a very physically strong person and that the 'Jinnan' tai chi was in fact a very hard practice, at least compared to Feng's? Also, WRT the comment about beginners not shaking the staff (or hitting a heavy bag) There is some value in either approach. At some point, there must be some practice which paints the bullseye on the target. Without this practice you cannot have a finished product. Sometimes, in a random practice, you have to just pick one thing and have it done that way. CZH mentions this in his recent interview with Joey Nishad when he mentions working through the strength to let it go. I have heard this referred to as 'grinding away the strength'. He says hong himself said you have to be strong first or you cannot be soft. My first Sifu Patrick Kelly was just like this. Often times, doing things like shaking a staff or hitting a heavy bag mindlessly will wear out the shoulders and arms, and allow the internal mechanisms to come through. However, this has to be set up properly by a teacher that knows how to do it or it won't work.

the interview;

Last edited by Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

ParadoxTeapot wrote:For years, I've explored a few social media platforms relating to Taijiquan, and honestly... I didn't notice hate towards Chen Taiji.

Rather... I saw a lot more hate between lineages... instead of between styles. Meaning, I didn't see any Bagua hating on Taiji, and I didn't see Taiji hating on Bagua. They seem to mind their own business on that level.

I think the discussion in this thread already alludes to the tension between Chen and Yang.

But ultimately, I think the hate really increases when it's at the level of a lineage. And that's not unique to Taiji. For instance, I have seen lineages within Baguazhang hating each other.

Basically, the more we zoom in... the more hate I see. The more we zoom out, the less hate I see.

I think this makes sense. If I say that humans are dumb, are you offended by that - given that you are a human? Probably not. If I say you are dumb, would you be more offended even though the only thing that changed was the scope and not the insult? I still used the word "dumb" in both cases, but you're more likely to take offense when I narrow the scope. The more narrow the scope, the more personal it feels.

And this is a real tactic I use online. If I want to minimize the people feeling targeted, I broaden the scope of what I'm referring to.

homo sapiens survied by being "tribal" and having far superior communication skills as a "tribe" relative to other species, presumably including other homo(human) species. so this shouldn't be surprising whatsoever. yup "humans are dumb".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:16 pm

My teacher often said
The hard becomes soft
The Soft hard
You just had to choose a path and follow it with full intent
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 pm

A beginner has to wrestle 15 rounds to get exhausted. He will then understand how not to use his own brute force and try to borrow his opponent's force. You have to go through extreme hard before you can start to appreciate soft.

There is nothing wrong trying to be as hard as you can when you are still young. Because when you get old, you will miss that. :'(
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 pm

johnwang wrote:A beginner has to wrestle 15 rounds to get exhausted. He will then understand how not to use his own brute force and try to borrow his opponent's force. You have to go through extreme hard before you can start to appreciate soft.

There is nothing wrong trying to be as hard as you can when you are still young. Because when you get old, you will miss that. :'(

Sure, it's good to start with a lot of muscular force and then learn how to do without.

It's better to have muscle and not need it than to need it and not have it!

But the point is that at a certain point more muscle doesn't help your tai chi.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 pm

origami_itto wrote:more muscle doesn't help your tai chi.

If you train for combat, you will find muscle to be useful.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:58 pm

ParadoxTeapot, I agree. After reading this thread and researching the internet more, there’s a huge feud in Chen Taiji. And the unfortunate thing about a feud is that it’s passed down through the generations. So 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation students don’t even know why they are supposed to hate the other side, they just do, but they blame that hate on things that were never even the cause of feud. They blame things like some observable differences in the practice, that is easy to see on videos.

I watched a video of George Xu, and he had a really great description about what happened. Taijiquan is like a Dragon holding a Pearl. The Dragon is the Gong Li (heavy weapons, low posture standing, Chansijin and FaLi), while the Pearl is working on the Qi Sphere. From any point that a person touches you can send them away. Your whole body is one. When Yang Luchan went to the Forbidden City he was tasked with teaching Aristocrats and the upper class. So had to do away with the Dragon and only teach them the Pearl skills. As it progressed a lot of people got really good at the Pearl skills and it’s something that anyone can learn, so it spread to the masses.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 pm

taijiquan as defined by mythology cannot be learned by the masses. we know that to be empirically true. sure, old person health art can and is learned by the masses, and is arguably the most "effective" martial art (defending people's health outcomes) ever seen. lots of things like wrestling, basketball, golf, futbol can be learned by the masses (to a meh level). if it's for "external MA", people would likely learn more after a week in mma as far as "fighting" skills. if it's "internal", nobody can even agree on anything. if they cannot learn "fighting" and nobody knows what "internal" is, how can the masses learn "IMA"? it's literally impossible. I feel bad for the family reps who are in the limelight for whatever reason.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby charles on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Appledog wrote:.. what do you make of ... the 'Jinnan' tai chi was in fact a very hard practice, at least compared to Feng's?

Feng's practice, and what he taught, changed considerably as he aged. As he aged, progressively, he added more circles and the more his circles became "less defined". Stances became higher, practice became less strenuous, release of force/qi/jin was largely eliminated. The practice became increasingly about neigong/qigong and nurturing/retaining rather than expenditure. By the end of his life what was generally practiced as his style was nearly unrecognizable to me having learned from those who studied with him prior to the 1990's. In my opinion, it would be very difficult for those starting with Taijiquan to learn traditional foundations of the art by practicing the later material.

CZH began studies with Feng after Hong's passing in the mid-1990's, though CZH, of course, has/had access to a variety of Feng's senior/long-time disciples. That is, those who practiced earlier versions of Feng's material.

Having never met or studied with Hong, I can only comment on what I've learned from Hong's disciples. What I learned from them is very exacting and precise - in contrast to the "less defined" actions of Feng's later years. The exactingness and precision is, in itself, physically difficult: it demands very specific use of the body in ways few are used to.

In short, I agree that Hong's "jinnan" Taijiquan is a very difficult practice compared to the later practice of Feng's Hun Yuan Taijiquan.

One should be very clear that what Feng practiced - and how he practiced it - to obtain his skills were generally not what he taught later in life.
charles
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm

everything wrote:taijiquan as defined by mythology cannot be learned by the masses. we know that to be empirically true. sure, old person health art can and is learned by the masses, and is arguably the most "effective" martial art (defending people's health outcomes) ever seen. lots of things like wrestling, basketball, golf, futbol can be learned by the masses (to a meh level). if it's for "external MA", people would likely learn more after a week in mma as far as "fighting" skills. if it's "internal", nobody can even agree on anything. if they cannot learn "fighting" and nobody knows what "internal" is, how can the masses learn "IMA"? it's literally impossible. I feel bad for the family reps who are in the limelight for whatever reason.

The Pearl/ Qi Sphere can be learned by the masses. There’s a lot of young Wing Chun people learning and teaching it now, without even having to do a form.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby twocircles13 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Appledog wrote:
charles wrote:General wisdom suggests that there are two starting points to "internal". One can start off with "hard" style training and, eventually, gradually, become "softer" and more "internal". The opposite approach is to start off "soft" and "empty" and eventually, gradually, become "harder". Different starting points with different training paths. Which to use depends upon the style and teacher.

This mainly depends from whence you start as well. For example, internal training today usually starts with the dantian. Some arts start with the hands or the feet. This is perceived as internal or external but it's the same process, just starting from a different place.

charles wrote:The story is told of Hong, in his advanced years, stating that he was physically too weak to pick up a nearby stone. However, he could, even in his weak and frail condition, easily manipulate people who were much bigger, heavier and stronger than he was. One of the things that it points out is that Taijiquan, generally, isn't a method for manipulating inanimate objects: ...

I agree with you about inanimate objects, but what do you make of the recent Chen Zhonghua interview where he states that Hong was a very physically strong person and that the 'Jinnan' tai chi was in fact a very hard practice, at least compared to Feng's? Also, WRT the comment about beginners not shaking the staff (or hitting a heavy bag) There is some value in either approach. At some point, there must be some practice which paints the bullseye on the target. Without this practice you cannot have a finished product. Sometimes, in a random practice, you have to just pick one thing and have it done that way. CZH mentions this in his recent interview with Joey Nishad when he mentions working through the strength to let it go. I have heard this referred to as 'grinding away the strength'. He says hong himself said you have to be strong first or you cannot be soft. My first Sifu Patrick Kelly was just like this. Often times, doing things like shaking a staff or hitting a heavy bag mindlessly will wear out the shoulders and arms, and allow the internal mechanisms to come through. However, this has to be set up properly by a teacher that knows how to do it or it won't work.

the interview;

Appledog, Thanks for posting that interview. I had not yet seen it, and I delayed responding until I could make time to watch it.

It seems like a conundrum Chen Zhonghua tells a story about Hong being weak and then says he was very strong (15:13). Chen Zhonghua answers this question in the video (22:59-23:58). Hong was not muscularly strong, he was able to "perfectly” align. So, thinking of strength this way, You have to be aligned first in order to be soft. This is much easier to understand.

He also answers the question about the Jinan group being relatively ”hard.” Hong started weak and sickly and wanted to be strong, so he focused on the martial aspects.

Feng had a pretty bellicose personality when he was young, and already knew how to fight when he started with Chen Fake, so there was a lot of emphasis in his training both from Hu Yaozhen and Chen Fake trying to get him to soften, relax, and be patient.

This illustrates something I said in an earlier post. Chen Fake taught students individually and not in a class, so he taught them what they needed to learn.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby twocircles13 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:00 pm

I meant to comment on all of these in fairly quick succession.

charles wrote:As a general strategy, Taijiquan isn't, traditionally, about whacking a stable opponent with so much force that the opponent is incapacitated. Instead, it is about first unbalancing the opponent, preventing him from attacking you further, and then using as much or as little force as one wishes to deal with the off-balance opponent. For example, using little force allows the off-balanced opponent to fall to the ground: using a lot of force throws the off-balanced opponent to the ground, potentially inflicting greater harm to the opponent.

A maxim we use commonly is, “You are never more vulnerable than when you attack.” The purpose of push hands training is not necessarily to throw the opponent to the ground, but to unbalance him so he can’t launch viable counter-attack when you attack him. You can do this by either disrupting his attack, or mounting a faux attack and disrupting his defenses. Both of which, done correctly, will give you control, whether your opponent knows it or not.

Charles wrote: I've met quite a few Taijiquan practitioners over the last three decades of practice. Of those, in my opinion, the most skilled was a yang stylist who was a disciple of Dong (Tung) Yingjie. His skills were such that as soon as one made contact with him, one had no control over one's own body or balance. One could not hit him, kick him, pull him or push him: the best one could do was try to remain standing. If one tried to push or pull him, one felt the contact of one's skin on his, but nothing more. It was like pushing or pulling air: he simply wasn't there. I saw him repeatedly do the same thing to all-challengers from a variety of styles of martial art. He argued that if one could completely control an opponent, why would one bother hitting the opponent. He could completely control an opponent. He regarded fa jin/fa li as low-level brute-force skill. He was very clear that subsequent generations of Dong practitioners did not have the skills of Dong senior - that is, simply studying with a Dong family member isn't going to get one to the skills of Dong senior.

Yes, this is the idea of taijiquan. You use control. You only need to resort to violence when you run into the rare killer. In that case, having controlled him, you injure and incapacitate him, so he is no longer a threat.

charles wrote:The closest I have found to those skills is within the Hong branch of Chen Taijiquan. My experience with Hong's Practical Method is that it tends to be more a combination of both sets of skills, hard and soft.

I agree with others in this discussion that chasing styles - Yang or Chen or others - is irrelevant. My focus has been to chase skills: finding people who exhibit skills I want to develop and studying with them. I'm not particularly concerned with their style or lineage, per se. Studying with a lineage holder is, in my experience, necessary but not sufficient. It depends on the skills/abilities of the individual teacher more than who he studied with.

I did the same, chased skills, until I met someone whose entire skill set I wanted. I still haven’t mastered them all. It would not have mattered what style or no style Chen Zhonghua was doing. I wanted to learn it. It just happened to be Chen Taijiquan. The same is true for Chen Zhonghua. He was just looking for a martial art instructor, and went to check out “the old man in the park that no one can beat.” It just happened to be Chen Taijiquan.

charles wrote:Hong, for example, did not practice weapons, spear or long pole. As I understand it, those practices weren't related to, or required for the skills he developed. For other practitioners some of those things are important training methods. Depends, in part, on what kinds of skills and abilities you want to develop. If the use of "power" is important to your method/strategy, then "power"/"strength" training is important - long pole shaking, for example. If it isn't, they aren't.

There were a couple of things going on here. My understanding is that Hong had learned them, but he didn’t focus on them. In the 1930s, these were obsolete weapons. One didn’t carry a sword or a spear in polite society or anywhere for that matter. It wasn’t until he started teaching and wanting to preserve as much of Chen Fake’s art as he could, and he had young, strong students that could benefit from the using weapons. He had left them somewhat by the wayside and felt inadequate to teach them in an ideal manner. So, he brought in or sent students to the best of Chen Fake's students to learn the basic Chen weapons to teach them to his students.

charles wrote:
johnwang wrote:
charles wrote:As a general strategy, Taijiquan isn't, traditionally, about whacking a stable opponent with so much force ...

Are you saying that Yang Taiji guys don't use punch to hit on their opponent's body?

No, I'm not saying that.

What I AM saying is that the primary strategy is not to have an opponent stand in a strong, stable stance with his hands on his hips and then have you try to incapacitate him by punching or kicking him in, say, the abdomen, as hard as you can. I suggest that the use of brute force is not the primary strategy of Taijiquan. Whacking a stable opponent with as much force as you can create is application of brute force - regardless of whether the force is created by "internal" means or "external" means. Are there applications in Taiji forms that apply brute force? Sure, depending upon the style and teacher.

What I AM saying is that there is huge variation in what is included under the umbrella term "Taijiquan". Some practitioners focus on developing "power", as much as they can muster, and others don't: others use different primary strategies. Suggesting that all styles and all practitioners of Taijiquan practice the same things for the same purposes to attain the same skills/abilities is, in my experience, incorrect. Creating some uniform straw man practice and calling it Taijiquan is to miss the differences in training and skills from one practitioner to another. It is to insist that the entire elephant looks, feels and behaves the same way as the small piece of the elephant that you've experienced.

Yes. Here’s and example from Chen Fake’s students.
fā 发 (發) - Hong Junsheng’s speciality
huà 化 - Tian Xiuchen’s speciality
ná 拿 - Chen Zhaokui’s speciality
dǎ 打 - Feng Zhiqiang’s speciality

That is not to say that they couldn’t or didn’t do all of them. It’s just that personalty, interest or some factor cause them to put more emphasis on these skills.

charles wrote:
johnwang wrote:
charles wrote:I suggest that the use of brute force is not the primary strategy of Taijiquan.

But you have to learn how to walk before you can learn how to run.

That is true, but learning to walk won't help you learn how to ski. That is, walking isn't necessarily a stepping-stone skill in learning to ski.

Beginners should not practice long pole shaking exercises because they haven't learned how to "power" the pole. Too often beginners will try to emulate what they see a more advanced practitioner do - making the pole shake. Absent of the skills, they will use primary arms and shoulders to make the pole shake. It outwardly looks similar - the pole shakes - but it teaches them/reinforces exactly what they are trying to un-learn - making the primary power generation the arms and shoulders. Until a student learns NOT to use their arms and shoulders to power the motion, the student will not progress in what the training is about. It becomes an arm/shoulder strengthening exercise - localized muscle usage.

You have to learn how to land your fist on your opponent's head before you try to learn how to make your opponent to fly in the air.

Maybe. It depends upon what skills you are trying to develop and what training progression you are using.

General wisdom suggests that there are two starting points to "internal". One can start off with "hard" style training and, eventually, gradually, become "softer" and more "internal". The opposite approach is to start off "soft" and "empty" and eventually, gradually, become "harder". Different starting points with different training paths. Which to use depends upon the style and teacher.

Taijiquan training, usually starts by trying to teach students to "let loose" (fang song). Most people have considerable experience using brute force in daily life to accomplish daily tasks. Most people have little experience in NOT using brute force to accomplish tasks. What a lot of Taiji training - depending on style and teacher - focuses on is attempting to teach people how to accomplish things by methods that don't rely brute force.

Starting one's training by hitting heavy bags often reinforces what students already know and do and can impede their progress in Taiji. In my experience, THE most difficult skill is to learn to really let loose (fang song). Relatively few that I've met achieve it, though most insist they have. Without that prerequisite, most don't progress very far and do some variation of the the brute force that they already now.

A large part of push hands training, and the accompanying "invest in loss", is to learn how to not use brute force to compromise an opponent/partner. Sure using brute force to hit an opponent in the head can be pretty effective at compromising an opponent. However, it isn't the only method and Taijiquan focuses on trying to use alternative methods that don't primarily rely on brute force, speed and athleticism. For most people, it takes a fair bit of "losing" - being easily pushed around, thrown and unbalanced - before one begins to figure out how to prevent that without using brute force, and, later, learn how to use that to manipulate an opponent.

Far too many misunderstand the admonishment not to use brute force and end up simply limp. Limp is not the same thing as "letting loose" (fang song) and will prevent progress. When the body is sufficiently "loose", it will "naturally" thread its parts together into a coordinated whole. (A coordinated whole does not mean that everything moves together in the same direction and at the same time.) The spine bows and un-bows, the chest opens and closes (folds/unfolds), the pelvis tilts and un-tilts. In Taiji, "power" is developed from those coordinated actions: "soft" produces "hard". Looseness allows the body to coordinate, storing (qi/jin/energy/pick-your-favourite-word) then releasing. You can store while opening or closing and then release by doing the opposite. Just hitting a heavy bag with what you already know and have been doing for your entire life won't further you along that training path.

There is nothing wrong with using brute force - it has been shown to be very effective - but it isn't the only approach. Taijiquan is largely about a different approach. Towards that end, it (usually) uses a different training progression.

I’ve said this before. If you want to learn the skill set within taijiquan, you have to do taijiquan. Other northern Chinese martial arts may be related, and they may have all had similar skillsets at some time, but today, if you want the skill set of taijiquan, you have to learn taijiquan.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm, edited 10 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 pm

johnwang wrote:
charles wrote:Taijiquan training, usually starts by trying to teach students to "let loose"

If a Taiji guy's car break down and he has to push it. Is there a Taiji way of pushing other than a non-Taiji way of pushing?

Should a Taiji guy solve all problems that he may face? Or should he try to avoid some problems (such as pushing a car) because he needs to use brute force?

Ha ! The taiji guy sit at the steering wheel properly directing the pushers push force
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:27 pm

I always thought Fengs later work was similar to CMC but without sticking to Yangs 10 essential points
It would have been interesting to see where it led if he lived another 20 years
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 am

wayne hansen wrote:I always thought Fengs later work was similar to CMC but without sticking to Yangs 10 essential points
It would have been interesting to see where it led if he lived another 20 years

Feng Zhiqiang’s daughter’s forms performances are kind of where their father had “finalized” his innovative work, I think that was a decision clear years before his passing.
FZQ’s disciples most if not all has mastered other martial arts before so therefore slightly different flavors exist among those who carries the torch, but the essential line of Feng’s Hunyuan taijiquan is still followed but now through FZQ’s daughters .

One should take care of not drawing conclusions when one see a form performance.
Example the 24 Hunyuan tjq form, there is a way a beginner should practice it, but when that has settled then spontaneous tempo changes and also to small extent the footwork may come to vary from the “teaching form”.
Last edited by Trick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan