Moving vs. standing for "health"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Moving vs. standing for "health"

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Vibration is actually a good thing. As your muscles fail, the tension is transfered to your tendons. The shaking is indicative that your tendons are bearing more weight then they usually do, and this will promote growth of the tendons.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:04 pm

johnwang wrote:Here are some of the ZZ that I do in my system. It's much harder than running and that's for sure.

http://johnswang.com/Chang_13Tainbu.wmv

I can see a big difference between these 2 type of ZZ. The older you are, the harder that you can stand on single leg for a long time (you body will start to vibrate).

John-

How long does one try to hold the postures in your system? Is there a standard that people try to reach? Thanks.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Steve:

There is no standard there. You do as long as you feel like to. My teacher always emphasized on "Don't push yourself too hard that you start to hate what you are doing". The worse one is the one that you bend backward and keep your upper body almost parallel to the ground (somebody call this "iron bridge"). It's very difficult to breath comfortable in that position.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:
I do not know about you, but the kind of standing I do is a lot harder than running.

johnwang wrote:Here are some of the ZZ that I do in my system. It's much harder than running and that's for sure.

Yes but not much can be inferred from that, IMO.

To make zz harder, go lower and stand longer.

To make running harder, add weight, distance, speed, elevation, and weird terrain.

The fact that one is harder than the other probably means you're not doing the 'other' hard enough ;D

But in general I don't think zz can be harder than running. Running can be gentle and relaxing, or the hardest thing you do (carrying up to 40kg, running for a few hours over mountainous terrain). If your zz is harder than that, then you are not human :D
Ian

Postby mrtoes on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 am

Ian wrote:But in general I don't think zz can be harder than running. Running can be gentle and relaxing, or the hardest thing you do (carrying up to 40kg, running for a few hours over mountainous terrain). If your zz is harder than that, then you are not human :D

ZZ as I have experienced it - yes I agree. But it sounds like John is describing postures which are quite different to the standing straight, arms aloft forms of ZZ I have come across. So if we're talking holding postures in general, let me say that even 30 seconds holding the low dragon step from hsing i with the alignments proscribed by my drill searg... er... teacher (weight mid-way between the feet, hips tucked in, as low as you can get without touching the ground with your knee), is to me quite excruciating! And what about standing and holding weights with arms outstretched? I guess it's always a question of degrees :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Hun Yuan Yi Qi Zhang on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:52 pm

I prefer moving meditation which brings me to stillness and then I do seated stillness meditation where I feel inner movement.

Both have its place in cultivation!
Hun Yuan Yi Qi Zhang
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan