Jingwu teachers in 1909 are who?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Jingwu teachers in 1909 are who?

Postby Brian L. Kennedy on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 am

I am doing the edits for my upcoming Jingwu book. There are two teachers listed in the teaching staff for 1909 that I am having trouble identifying. Does anyone know anything about either of these two teachers?

Liu zhi-shang劉致祥
Sun chzn-shen孫贊軒

thanks much,
Brian Kennedy
Brian L. Kennedy
Great Old One

Re: Jingwu teachers in 1909 are who?

Postby nianfong on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

i believe the correct pin yin should be
Liu zhi-xiang
Sun zan-xuan
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Brian L. Kennedy on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks Nian---I should have taken a closer look before cutting and pasting them!
take care,
Brian
Brian L. Kennedy
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Hello Brian...always looking forward to your research. I found this be a helpful resource.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese/chinbks_trad6.htm#625

The Central Ching Woo Record - TC 625
Compiled by various members
$57.95 Traditional Chinese Characters
275+ pages, photographs and drawings, hardbound,
oversized around 7.5 by 10.5 inches, Gold embossed title with book marker ribbon

NOTE: We should be getting the soft cover edition of this book in soon.

We have been trying to represent this text for a long time. This is a new reprint of the original Chin Woo (Qing Wu) Ben Ji or the memorial edition chronicling ten years in the development of the most famous Kung Fu organization in the world. The subject of novels and movies such as "The Chinese Connection" and "Fists of Legend"; the Chin Woo was a real organization (and still is). This was China's first attempt to modernize Kung Fu instruction with a universal curriculum. This special limited edition shows dozens of pictures of the brave souls who helped to re-ignite Chinese moral courage and character. Many sections speak of the Chinese athletic endeavors as well as Western style interests like billiards and photography. This marked a major change in Chinese consciousness and the beginning of an amalgamation which, had it not been torn apart by war, might well have sped China along it path to progress If you have a real interest in this amazing time comparable to the Harlem Renaissance, this book will be a valuable collector's item.
Click on the picture to see some old photos.
Customer review of this it
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Brian:

Silly suggestion as I am sure you have already gone down this route, but would the extant Jingwu Organisation in Shanghai, Malaysia (very active Jingwu when I was there in the 1990s) or elsewhere have this information?

BTW, I believe - but am not 100 percent certain - that it was the Singaporean and/or Malaysian Jingwu who first bought Chen Xiaowang out of Chen Village. A little bit of modern martial history there, possibly.

Best regards and happy new year.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 am

RE CXW, Singapore I heard
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Brian L. Kennedy on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:15 am

Good Morning Dr. Rob, Andy S.
Dr. Rob, that book you pointed out from Plum Publishers----that is the book that my book is based on! And you are right, it is full of good information on the Jingwu, for example most of the photos in that book will be in mine too. But alas, no info there on those two guys.

Andy S, yeah I have checked around some of the surviving older JIngwu places. But no luck there either. It actually kind of points out an interesting aspect of Chinese martial arts history and that is that there were tons of fine teachers, who may have even been quite important in their time and place, that have left zero historical record. The "famous" teachers that we in the 21st century know----their fame is often just a matter of luck. Luck in the sense that they left a book behind or caught the fancy of some journalist.

In any event, thanks much folks,
Brian
Brian L. Kennedy
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 am

Brian L. Kennedy wrote:Dr. Rob, that book you pointed out from Plum Publishers----that is the book that my book is based on!

Sweet! I was looking at that link and thinking "Damn, I wish that book was in English!" Now we're going to have an English equivalent of it. I'm looking forward to it! :)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Brian L. Kennedy on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 am

Good Morning Cerebus,
Yeah, that is a great old book. When I first saw it at Mr. Liu's shop (Lion Books of Taiwan did the reprint) I was amazed at the all the photos and almost immediately thought to myself, "I could write a book about this book". Which I did.

The Jingwu really is the birthplace of modern Chinese martial arts, "modern" in the sense of presenting traditional Chinese martial arts as a civilian middle class recreation. And the Jingwu was so important in spreading traditional Chinese martial arts to places like Hawaii, Southeast Asia and North America during the 1920s to the 1960s. And the JIngwu is coming back---I got an announcement the other day from the Jingwu Association in Portugal that the newly reformed Shanghai Jingwu Association is putting out a new Anniversary Book for 100 Years of Jingwu.

take care,
Brian
Brian L. Kennedy
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 am

Brian you have pm
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Brian L. Kennedy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Wong Ying, thanks so much for that help. I appreciate that.
take care,
Brian
Brian L. Kennedy
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 am

I liked Fearless and the way it depicted the JingWu story. I don't know if it was accurate or not, but I thought it was a great MA movie, and a pretty good film in general.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Sifu John,

Some branches may have taught Mi Zong but not all-, and those that did may not have taught Huo Yuanjia's branch of Mi Zong-The Hong Kong branch did teach it from a list of classes I saw years ago. In most Chin Woo branches the 10 basic forms are taught and then the students may be directed for advanced training into what ever TCMA system is taught at that particular branch. The instuction at different Chin Woo branches can vary alot and it seems that there are different "versions" of Chin Woo these day's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_Woo_A ... ssociation

http://www.chinwoo.com/history.htm

Some branches also have other sports besides TCMA the dreaded modern Wu Shu is taught at some evidentaly, western boxing and so on. Oversea's branchs keep Chin Woo going when it was shut down on the mainland.

'Fearless' was a great film Jet Li's idea was great tell the basic story of Chin Woo but it is only a film and not true to life. Created some controversy with his depictation dramatization of the old master Huo Yuanjia

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/03/09 ... wsuit.html

But I think Jet Li very much respect Huo Yuanjia and Chin Woo though the family may have felt he took the dramatization to far.
Last edited by Chanchu on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:54 am

Brian L. Kennedy wrote:I am doing the edits for my upcoming Jingwu book. There are two teachers listed in the teaching staff for 1909 that I am having trouble identifying. Does anyone know anything about either of these two teachers?

Liu zhi-shang劉致祥
Sun chzn-shen孫贊軒

thanks much,
Brian Kennedy

Dear Brian,

I can't possibly go through all the material in my library as it would take days but I guess you got this right ?

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan