Dai Xin Yi Quan and Xing Yi Quan (why the difference?)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Dai Xin Yi Quan and Xing Yi Quan (why the difference?)

Postby Buddy on Sat May 24, 2008 5:31 pm

What do you mean by shoulder method? What I've learned is shoulder (blade) is for issuing, elbow is for changing, and wrist is for controlling. But the lower wai san he is the same.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat May 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Mix, This is actually Song style but I think tuo is at 0:37 only at 0:47 it looks like a true shoulder strike?

Here's tuo and I don't really see the shoulder strike. Thoughts?

http://www.56.com/w51/play_album-aid-25 ... E4NTk.html

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun May 25, 2008 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sat May 24, 2008 7:49 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:So are you saying that the obvious shoulder techniques contained within Tuo are not shoulder training methods? Its a shoulder strike or a shoulder arm bar, its obvious in the form. Therefor its a shoulder training method. 8-)

I am not sure if you read my above post. I am talking about "independent" methods which train specifically the shoulder. Like I said before you can make what you want out of of the forms (that is cool), but that is not what I am talking about.

FWIW

Jon.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply- that's close enough as far as the history. I was just wondering what the general time lines were- as for documentation chuan po's or any type of written historical record would be good, but as you said may be impossible to be specific or may be hidden.

As for shoulder strike hsing-i in hebei hsing-i snake could do it.

There are lot more I am sure.
Last edited by Chanchu on Sat May 24, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sat May 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Chanchu wrote:Thanks for the reply- that's close enough as far as the history. I was just wondering what the general time lines were- as for documentation chuan po's or any type of written historical record would be good, but as you said may be impossible to be specific or may be hidden.

As for shoulder strike hsing-i in hebei hsing-i snake could do it.

There are lot more I am sure.

Funny enough you mention "she xing" as that is in my eye's a modified, "ru lin bang" or "enter the forest shoulder strike". In the Dai move I mentioned the moves comes up underneath your opponent uprooting him, it is in a upward strike.

Jon.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun May 25, 2008 8:13 am

Interesting that you mention Snake being a modified "Entering the forest". Our Sparrowhaw form has a second move called "Entering the Forest" after the standard Hebei move of the same name, which looks like a Snake strike, but hitting upwards. Jose and I were discussing that move yesterday.

I couldn't find that move in any other Hebei style, but as I suspected, Xue Dian has it. Here's an image:

Our version comes up with a fist. This is what it looks like, using two different pictures from Sun's Book.

“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby taijiren on Sun May 25, 2008 8:37 am

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:Funny enough you mention "she xing" as that is in my eye's a modified, "ru lin bang" or "enter the forest shoulder strike". In the Dai move I mentioned the moves comes up underneath your opponent uprooting him, it is in a upward strike.

In the Dai Siba (四把), yao ru lin bang (鷂入林膀) comes right before tiao ling (挑頂). To me, it's tiao ling that she xing came from. I've always been struck the the similarities of these two moves after I've done a few line drills of both.
Last edited by taijiren on Sun May 25, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
taijiren
Santi

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 am

Snake IS a Tiao move. The difference lies in the wave motion you use in snake to penetrate.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun May 25, 2008 11:56 am

Jon: gotcha.

D_Glenn: not everyone knows the shoulder in Tuo. Essentially the shoulder strike or arm bar shows up just before you drill up to set up the slice across.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 am

Besides, some people do Tuo in two ways: Tuo Xing with the shoulder, and as Baoguoshi (Wrapping posture), which uses less shoulder, more forearm action, and the direction is straight
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Sun May 25, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun May 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Felipe Bidó wrote:Besides, some people do Tuo in two ways: Tuo Xing with the shoulder, and as Baoguoshi (Wrapping posture), which uses less shoulder, more forearm action, and the direction is straight

I haven't seen the second variation. Is it like "flower hiding under the leaf" from baguazhang?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun May 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Not at all. It looks similar to pulling a rope one hand at a time. I'll check the video of my XY nephew in the video section and see if he does it in the Wuxinglianhuan
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun May 25, 2008 1:21 pm

taijiren wrote:
Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:Funny enough you mention "she xing" as that is in my eye's a modified, "ru lin bang" or "enter the forest shoulder strike". In the Dai move I mentioned the moves comes up underneath your opponent uprooting him, it is in a upward strike.

In the Dai Siba (四把), yao ru lin bang (鷂入林膀) comes right before tiao ling (挑頂). To me, it's tiao ling that she xing came from. I've always been struck the the similarities of these two moves after I've done a few line drills of both.

Why I mentioned"ru lin bang" is due to the exact same move as in hugging your left hip with your right palm and then expanding. In the Xing Yi Quan move you actually are striking with the forearm/hand, but in the Dai Xin Yi Quan the move is with the shoulder.

Tiao Ling is also similar in this regard as you are also hugging the hip before you expand, the difference lies in the "inserting' (cha).

Jon.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun May 25, 2008 5:24 pm

I will only say that for me, comparing the various xinyi/xingyi styles makes a lot more sense if you do it incrementally - i.e. xinyiliuhequan, Dai family xinyiquan, Che style xingyiquan, older styles of Hebei xingyiquan, younger styles of Hebei xingyiquan. (Not sure where Song style fits in here.) There is actually quite a lot of similarity - very interesting stuff. Of course, for comparison purposes, it is better to have older, "purer" versions of the above styles (no combination styles, variant styles).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun May 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:In the Xing Yi Quan move you actually are striking with the forearm/hand, but in the Dai Xin Yi Quan the move is with the shoulder.

i'm not sure why you think this or maybe i'm misunderstanding, but having an extended arm doesn't necessarily mean that you are striking with the hand, rather than striking or throwing with any part of the body along the line of force...thus in xingyi every time the arms or body move there is a shoulder method being trained. so then when you look at pi, zuan, beng, pao and hengquan they all have very clear shoulder methods.

i see i'm getting into what you said not to, developing interpretations from the non-shoulder-specific forms. but i think you're incorrect when you say that in snake, or any other shape, that "you actually are striking with the forearm/hand".

i think it's extremely cool what you say about dai being separated into shenfa bufa and bangfa. i've started threads in the past asking about shoulders and headbutts in xingyi!

jon do you ever practice any hebei xingyi anymore? maybe with the switch to dai you've discovered a bunch of new stuff in your body, but if you went back to the hebei forms you might find that actually that stuff was in there all along, only expressed differently.
Last edited by I-mon on Sun May 25, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-mon
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan