Conserving effort when sparring

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Conserving effort when sparring

Postby Brady on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:09 pm

I was wondering what strategies you guys use to ensure you are saving your energy when sparring.

I tend to have the bad habit of using dumb strength and not noticing it. Today I was working with the idea of just "holding a shape" and not exerting any intention beyond that. It was a good experience because I was keenly aware of the spots my body was working against itself. Anyone do anything similar?
Brady
Wuji

Re: Conserving effort when sparring

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:00 pm

that's why you hold a santi in xingyi... so you learn to keep your hands up with minimal effort. it's also how we trained to block.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby klonk on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Brady wrote:I was wondering what strategies you guys use to ensure you are saving your energy when sparring.

I tend to have the bad habit of using dumb strength and not noticing it. Today I was working with the idea of just "holding a shape" and not exerting any intention beyond that. It was a good experience because I was keenly aware of the spots my body was working against itself. Anyone do anything similar?

That's great, you are on the right track. Beyond that, I would say that everything I do has the object (or intended objective, anyway) of landing a technique. The sooner the fight is over, the sooner you can rest. Defend attackingly, if that makes any sense whatever. Be a menace whatever he tries, and failing that, at least be a continual nuisance.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:07 pm

i try to relax like i relax during push hands. use just enough effort for what i want to achieve (which is usually to not get hit in the head so much). as far as ways to make that happen, it's forms and zhan zhuang for me.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 am

I try to stay soft until either I have made contact or I'm blocking or striking.
Of course that changes when your grappling. I still have a lot of trouble staying soft while grappling.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:45 am

If you've trained enough IMA, your body should have a resilient structure without even having to think about staying hard or soft when meeting resistance.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby somatai on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 am

C.J.Wang wrote:If you've trained enough IMA, your body should have a resilient structure without even having to think about staying hard or soft when meeting resistance.

qft

do not let your weight get outside your frame, do not let your effort get outside your frame, marry your weight and effort
somatai

Postby Brady on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:21 am

somatai wrote:do not let your weight get outside your frame, do not let your effort get outside your frame, marry your weight and effort

This is one thing, I'm getting pretty good at this in my Judo now. The type of issue I seem to have more often is that within my frame there are pieces of me that are not working with the whole but on a permanent lock down (without taking me outside my base).

edit: I attribute alot of my increased ability to stay within my structure while standing to consistently playing the push-out game.
Last edited by Brady on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brady
Wuji

Postby somatai on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:25 am

let more energy or pressure come in and soften with it....allow compression to occur more deepy?
somatai

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:49 am

Stand-up:
In sparring I conserve my energy and let the other person get tired by having them throw more punches and kicks. I'll just block, counter and go. I normally not good at the kicking and punching exchanges so i tie-up and clinch and frustrate them to open them up for strikes.

submission grappling/BJJ: this art presents alot of opportunity to rest when your in various positions to try to move into a better more superior position on the ground.
neijia_boxer

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:02 am

mixjourneyman wrote: I still have a lot of trouble staying soft while grappling.

don't fight it, mix.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:08 am

A problem with getting tired and tense when sparring, is the adrenaline dump. I don't know you, but as you get more experience, you will be able to relax more. Of course, it depends who you're sparring with. If they are better and out to get your head, you will probably end up getting tense.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 pm

There shouldn't be ANY adrenaline dump in sparring IMHO. That's why it's sparring not fighting. It's a "game", so "play" it, don't "work" it.

You get better as you get more and more familiar/comfortable with it (as one does naturally with any other activity).

The only advice (in addition to some other good things already mentioned) I have for you Brady is "sink your qi", (the basis of) which could be approached by continually reminding yourself to breathe from the bottom of your stomach and relaxing the upper body. That will also do a couple of other very good things for you (martially and otherwise), aside from just reducing immediate effort. FWIW.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:31 pm

qiphlow wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote: I still have a lot of trouble staying soft while grappling.

don't fight it, mix.

Surely a contender for the Double Entendre Hall of Fame...
Qiphlow that was fast.
Last edited by Sprint on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Old Man Chi on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 pm

More sparring. And then more sparring. The more you hit and get hit, the more you will relax, everything will slow down.

Oh yeah, and breath. Completely disagree standing will do anything to relax you in sparring.
Old Man Chi
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan