Bagua Supplemental Training?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Bagua Supplemental Training?

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Yeah, if you're just starting out just concentrate on the rigorous isometrical twisting that's going to be your foundation.

The problem with the weights is that once you relax enough to be using tendonous stength using some sort of static weight might overstress the tendons and joints. Probably better to use some sort of heavy weapon designed to be used with the fu style shenfa, or they will probably teach you how to use that big stone ball, if you get into it and show dedication.

To begin with you probably won't be able to open your body enough to make it an issues, but probably best to keep the different exercises session different.

This thread got me excited and I pulled out the "sand" kettlebells I made last year and then promptly forgot about. It was fun, I think i'ma going to start playing with it as a warm up or something.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Emmett on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:48 pm

ParryPerson wrote:Hi guys, I started taking Fu style Bagua, and am wondering what are some things that would be good to do outside of the bagua training itself?

Bagua Zhang has all kinds of training that are needed. If you're looking for something else, perhaps, your instructor does not give you the necessary knowledge. Maybe you can practice is not enough.

For example ...
I'm guessing some form of cardio, but was wondering if anyone had any kind of it they liked to do that helped.

This means that you simply do not walking enough. If you walking 45 minutes on the medium or lower level ... Every day ...
Emmett
Santi

Postby lars on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 am

Hi, I definetely agree about that you should try to wait and see what happens when you have had some more classes. Chances are that new exercises will come up in class that will cover what you need, and you need the time to really drill it in. Remember that it is not only in class that you should train your exercises. The main work is the drill-work you do on your own outside of class.
Theres another thing that could be good for you. Bagua is in my opinion a quite advanced art, and usually practitioners had many years of experience from other martial arts when they came to learn bagua. So if you have no basics training from another art (basic muscle training, endurance, alignment, flexibility) and your class dont do the basics so much, then it may be really good to do some other art to get all that.
In my experience, your body will understand all the subtleties of bagua MUCH faster, after getting the basics.

Just my 2c...
Cheers
lars
Anjing

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:52 am

1st get and establish internal principles of the art.
then
any activity wll be suplemental
even dream
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan