Here goes the Frantzis Ueshiba-Bagua theory

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Here goes the Frantzis Ueshiba-Bagua theory

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:55 pm

There has been some discussion on the web over the years (including here) on a theory suggested by Bruce Frantzis (and others?) regarding Morihei Ueshiba's alleged influence from Bauga, which he was said to have been probably taught somehow in China.

Well, just bumped into this picture by accident on Aikido Journal:
http://www.aikidojournal.com/images/sha ... ia_lrg.jpg
"Onisaburo (left) and Morihei Ueshiba (right) shackled in Mongolia. Taken from The Great Onisaburo Deguchi."

Yep, as critics have said - Ueshiba was imprisoned on his trip to China. Seeing this picture... Well, that kind of sealed the deal in my mind as to the possibility of Ueshiba learning something from the Chinese.

Anyone thinks otherwise?
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Here goes the Frantzis Ueshiba-Bagua theory

Postby bailewen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Anyone at all familiar with 20th century Chinese history is inevitably going to find Frantzis' theory completely implausible.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Hahahahaha! That is almost as funny as the photoshop of John Painter with his "teacher" a while back!

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:32 pm

If you tell people what they want to hear, they'll always believe you.

This old chestnut has been around forever, and no-one has convincingly demonstrated the theory nor provided a shred of hard evidence for it. Ueshiba's time in Mongolia has been extensively documented and published. Don't you think aikido peeps would happily get behind the aikido-bagua hypothesis if they felt justified in doing so? All senior aikidoka I've ever discussed it with have been sceptical, usually explaining advanced aikido technique and theory as deriving from Takeda's highly secretive and guarded aikijutsu transmission.

As to whether there's a "possibility of Ueshiba learning something from the Chinese", I suspect it would probably have been t'other way round, since his skills were already highly developed by that time.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:01 pm

I think it would be good to ask someone like Dan or Ark about this. It seems that the Japanese had their own internal system all along but it was kept a secret.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Sajite on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:44 am

bailewen wrote:Anyone at all familiar with 20th century Chinese history is inevitably going to find Frantzis' theory completely implausible.

Wang Xiangzhai teached Yiquan to a Japanese soldier in china...
Sajite
Huajing

Postby Sajite on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:48 am

gzregorz wrote:I think it would be good to ask someone like Dan or Ark about this. It seems that the Japanese had their own internal system all along but it was kept a secret.

Daito.ryu has a decent number of practice that anyone would called "internal"
Sajite
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:40 am

Last edited by RobP2 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:01 am

no matter what any of us say, or think of him, Frantzis actually trained with Ueshiba....
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby gilbride100 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:23 am

Ellis Amdur addresses this theory (and related theories) in his book "Hidden in Plain Sight":

http://www.ellisamdur.com/buy-books-on- ... -arts.html

He provides a lot more information to back up his speculations than Frantzis does, and it's not based on Ueshiba learning stuff in Manchuria.
gilbride100
Anjing

Postby Daniel on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 am

yusuf wrote:no matter what any of us say, or think of him, Frantzis actually trained with Ueshiba....

While I was still his student, I persuaded BKF to give a one-hour talk on his experiences with Ueshiba for the first time ever. Interesting stuff. We sent out info about it to more Aikido-clubs than I could count, both in Sweden and in London, and got five Aikidoka coming. The talk was given in an Aikido-club, and none of the teachers came either.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 am

gilbride100 wrote:Ellis Amdur addresses this theory (and related theories) in his book "Hidden in Plain Sight":

http://www.ellisamdur.com/buy-books-on- ... -arts.html

He provides a lot more information to back up his speculations than Frantzis does, and it's not based on Ueshiba learning stuff in Manchuria.

to quote the table of contents:

"Circle, Square, Triangle: How to Be O-Sensei in Sixteen Easy Steps"
;D
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 am

SteveBonzak wrote:

Hahahahaha! That is almost as funny as the photoshop of John Painter with his "teacher" a while back!

-Steve

Can anyone post a copy of this picture? I'm a big fan of Photoshop magic.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:32 am

Daniel wrote:
yusuf wrote:no matter what any of us say, or think of him, Frantzis actually trained with Ueshiba....

While I was still his student, I persuaded BKF to give a one-hour talk on his experiences with Ueshiba for the first time ever. Interesting stuff. We sent out info about it to more Aikido-clubs than I could count, both in Sweden and in London, and got five Aikidoka coming. The talk was given in an Aikido-club, and none of the teachers came either.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.

Well give us the high points,Daniel.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 am

Daniel wrote:

That's funny .

Did he mention anything about his theory at that time?

----------------

I think it's case of someone seeing what they want to see and if the cup is already full, well then...

It's plain to see that BKF's Bagua is really the only version that looks that similar to Aikido.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan