New book recommandation?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

New book recommandation?

Postby Samoobramba on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:01 am

I want to buy a (new) book about Taijiquan Classics/Principles. I found some books that could be interesting to read.

Explanations of the Tai Chi Principles:
- Stalking Yang Lu-chan by Robin Johnson
- Anatomy of Yang Family Tai Chi by Steffan de Graffenried
Translations of the Tai Chi Classics:
- Drawing Silk: Masters' Secrets for Successful Tai Chi Practice by Paul Gallagher
- Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan (Gold Book) by Wu Kung Cho

Any comment or recommandation for these books? Thanks.
Samoobramba
Santi

Re: New book recommandation?

Postby JAB on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am

I would not waste time nor money. Go for "Effortless Combat Throws" by Cartmell. Best martial book out there.
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Martial arts books are for fun and inspiration. They give you something to think about and get you out into the backyard excited about training. For actually learning something useful you need a teacher.
-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:34 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Martial arts books are for fun and inspiration. They give you something to think about and get you out into the backyard excited about training. For actually learning something useful you need a teacher.
-Jess O

that's almost like saying you will never learn anything out in the world... you can only learn things in a classroom

i know what you are trying to get at but lots of people have learned lots of thing and gained insight that has changed them (not even related to martial arts) and after a certain point you must become responsible for your own growth and development... not saying that a teacher is not useful... just saying- why limit yourself...

but if you are just starting out correction from a competent teacher can save you having to relearn how to stand or move in the future... but of course that is not guaranteed...

plus i think most things should be for fun and inspiration- otherwise why waste your time...

as for the books- i am not familiar with them but would recommend reading as much as you can so that your perspective is not small

for the tai chi classics my favorite is still
Tai Chi Chuan the literary tradition
http://www.amazon.com/Essence-Tai-Chi-Chuan-Tradition/dp/0913028630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216758824&sr=8-1

it is just a translation with no commentary- so you can go back to it latter and your understanding will be different if you have been practicing

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Samoobramba wrote:I want to buy a (new) book about Taijiquan Classics/Principles. I found some books that could be interesting to read.

- Drawing Silk: Masters' Secrets for Successful Tai Chi Practice by Paul Gallagher

I have the 'Gold Book'. It's definately worth it, especially if you study Wu style. It has many interesting texts by Wu Gongzhao in it that are very clear and easy to understand. He attempts to describe Taiji in modern terms, for instance, he describes the 8 methods with examples from mechanics. It also has a very old text in it that was handed down by Quan You and is said to be the teachings of Yang Banhou. So this is a not commonly known 'classic' that should be interesting to Yang stylists also. Then there are some great photos of Wu Jianquan and Wu Gongyi in it, as well as family history and biographies. It also has an interesting layout, based on old style Chinese bookbindary.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm

thanks for that review of the gold book

i have been thinking about ordering it for a while

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Yeah Franklin, I hear ya. But I have a hard time staying awake reading books about kung fu, and the vids are even worse. When it comes to something as abstract as Internal style martial arts, hands-on contact is almost the only way to get it right. "One smack from a teacher is worth a thousand books..." as the ancients used to say...

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Samoobramba wrote:I want to buy a (new) book about Taijiquan Classics/Principles. I found some books that could be interesting to read.

It's not on your list, but the Lost Taichi Classics of the Late Ching Dynasty is one of the best books on taiji that I've read. It covers the "secondary" classics, which to me seem a lot more user friendly and useful. These classics give more details about push hands (they even give a pattern), applications, and cultivation. If you don't have it, it's well worth the money.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:25 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Yeah Franklin, I hear ya. But I have a hard time staying awake reading books about kung fu, and the vids are even worse. When it comes to something as abstract as Internal style martial arts, hands-on contact is almost the only way to get it right. "One smack from a teacher is worth a thousand books..." as the ancients used to say...

-Jess O

i agree, but they are probably putting you asleep because if you are like me you have read more than a couple right ;D

and yes- in my experience a good smack if very valuable.. sometimes it might take a few years to figure it out

i think it was peter ralston who wrote that there are three aspects you need- hard practice, study, contemplation (a paraphrase- so forgive me if it slightly off)

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Samoobramba on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 am

I heard many good opinions about the for "Effortless Combat Throws" by Cartmell. It is also a good book from the striker perspective?

I also heard good opinions about the Gold Book. I'm interested for "Taiji principles". They colud be Taiji Classics (translation) but better if there are some authors commentaries. How good is in comparison to others Taiji Classics translations?
Samoobramba
Santi

Postby Buddy on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 am

Tim's explanation of body mechanics alone makes this one worth the price.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 am

Samoobramba wrote:I also heard good opinions about the Gold Book. I'm interested for "Taiji principles". They colud be Taiji Classics (translation) but better if there are some authors commentaries. How good is in comparison to others Taiji Classics translations?

The "Gold Book" does not cover the more commonly known Taiji classics. If you're looking for them, you'll find several different translations on the internet. The Gold Book only has Wu Gongzhao's texts in it, which don't need any commentary at all and it has the Quanyou text, which isn't really commented, but there are footnotes by the translator.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Samoobramba on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I just ordered the Gold Book and Effortless Combat Throws" :-)
Samoobramba
Santi

Postby Dillon on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Effortless Combat Throws is fantastic. That and Peter Ralston's Principles of Effortless Power have both had significant impact on my training and thinking.
Dillon
Santi

Postby Chanchu on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:19 pm

"Steal my art"

Is the best Tai chi book ever! :)
Chanchu
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan