Chen Fake and Wu Tunan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Chen Fake and Wu Tunan

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:16 am

Bodywork wrote:Chen Zonghua...comparing him to skill of Chen Yu is ridiculous.

Chen Yu looks very strong and solid, but I can't really understand the big hype. Of course, he seem to be very good, but when I think more about it, I've seen nothing from Chen Yu that really impress me extremely much or anything that show that he could use his skills on something else than against a stiff non-freezing student. Just sayin' :P

At least, Chen Zhonghua shows his stuff and explains it in some kind of a context. I think he could give Chen Yu a match alright. @@@
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Partridge_Run on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:28 am

Well, it figures you would say something like that Bao.

I remember back in the day when you - and countless of the other members of this board - were adamant that the dantian was just some sort of metaphor, or merely a person's center of gravity, or something vague like that. Truly ridiculous.
"The bank was saved, but the people were ruined."
- Henry M. Gouge, circa 1830
“No civilization can survive the physical destruction of its resource base.”
- Bruce Sterling
Partridge_Run
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Partridge_Run wrote:Well, it figures you would say something like that Bao.

Everything can be looked on at different angles. We always choose what to look at and how we look at it. ;)

Partridge_Run wrote:I remember back in the day when you - and countless of the other members of this board - were adamant that the dantian was just some sort of metaphor, or merely a person's center of gravity, or something vague like that. Truly ridiculous.

Don't know what you are referring to. I believe that I have always written about the dantian as something useful and something physical in the sense that you can learn how to feel it. Though I don't agree with what Chen style calls the Dantian, I still do believe that there is great value in much of Chen style exercises as Silk Reeling.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chen quan on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 am

Bao said: "At least, Chen Zhonghua shows his stuff and explains it in some kind of a context."

That's because Chen Yu, are you ready for this, speaks only Chinese. If you don't speak Chinese, then you are missing the explanation. Wow, I can't believe that needed to be said.

CZH...not my taste. Look at his legs. He uses some kind of yoga pose as a horse and his shen fa is totally and dramatically distorted. He tries to "explain" his distorted movements, with his Darth Vader breathing in the background, but it still looks bad. He's attempting to find a deep connection, but he makes a lot of sacrifices to other areas of the body in the process.
Last edited by chen quan on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
chen quan
Santi

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:55 am

chen quan wrote:Bao said: "At least, Chen Zhonghua shows his stuff and explains it in some kind of a context."
That's because Chen Yu, are you ready for this, speaks only Chinese. If you don't speak Chinese, then you are missing the explanation. Wow, I can't believe that needed to be said.

Maybe more because there are in fact more vids with more explanations from CZH? Well yes, I do understand Chinese.

CZH...not my taste. Look at his legs. He uses some kind of yoga pose as a horse and his shen fa is totally and dramatically distorted. He tries to "explain" his distorted movements, with his Darth Vader breathing in the background, but it still looks bad. He's attempting to find a deep connection, but he makes a lot of sacrifices to other areas of the body in the process.

That's a tough statement. :)

I have never said that I understand Chen style and I don't make any claims to understand anything I see from a Chen style perspective or make a good comparison according to Chen style principles. Of course you know these things much better. But still it would be interesting to hear other's comments, from people who do understand Chen style but who don't have any reason to take any side. (No loyalty to a certain teaher, his linage or have a close friendship with either side.
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan