Is it wrong to want to learn a certain style?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Is it wrong to want to learn a certain style?

Postby edededed on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey, what a coincidence - I got started from BKF's book, too :) After that was Jarek's site... I knew I wanted bagua, and that is what I am learning now - if you are willing to move, it isn't too hard to find a specific style to learn.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:07 am

If I wanted to learn a standup grappling MA I would go to the school in my area with the best standup grapplers whether it was a Judo, SC, Grecco, Bagua etc... school. If I wanted to learn a striking MA I would go to the place with the best strikers whether it was a Xingyi, boxing etc... school.

I think the goal of what one wants to achieve should be a big part of the choice (unless you are not serious about getting better at "martial" arts) - If the teacher and other students in the class can't do what you hope to do, it'll be very unlikely you'll be able to get the desired skills from that place.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Brady on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 am

Fubo wrote:If I wanted to learn a standup grappling MA I would go to the school in my area with the best standup grapplers whether it was a Judo, SC, Grecco, Bagua etc... school. If I wanted to learn a striking MA I would go to the place with the best strikers whether it was a Xingyi, boxing etc... school.

I sort of agree with this but if I want to find a striking school to compliment my primary grappling, boxing is a worse choice than xingyi (as an example) even if they have produced better strikers overall.
Brady
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 am

Brady wrote:
Fubo wrote:If I wanted to learn a standup grappling MA I would go to the school in my area with the best standup grapplers whether it was a Judo, SC, Grecco, Bagua etc... school. If I wanted to learn a striking MA I would go to the place with the best strikers whether it was a Xingyi, boxing etc... school.

I sort of agree with this but if I want to find a striking school to compliment my primary grappling, boxing is a worse choice than xingyi (as an example) even if they have produced better strikers overall.

I'm not talking about art vs. art, but the quality. For real useable skill I would choose boxing over Xingyi, with my grappling, if the xingyi place didn't spar and had a low level of skillful fighters. If the quality of boxing is much higher ther the quality of Xingyi, "that" boxing would be a much better compliment for grappling. If the Xingyi and boxing we of equal quality, with an equal amount of quality training partners in the class... I personally would go for the Xingyi with my grappling, but I don't view boxing as a bad compliment to grappling.
Fubo
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan