Hakka family style

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Hakka family style

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu May 05, 2011 2:00 am

Time and again, I stumble on this term.
Although I live in Taiwan some years now, I only saw a stuff form with a wippy rattan stuff, similar to one posted online sometime ago, but never any hand form.
Is that a certain style, several styles or can it be ordered into some external or internal school?
Thanks in advance!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Re: Hakka family style

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 am

Hakka styles are usually closely related to Southern Praying Mantis. Chow/Jow Gar, Iron Ox, Jook Loom, etc. This is the largest collection on the web of relevant videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eric88ling . For some reason though, Eric (channel's owner) won't answer any messages or emails. He and other Hakka/Mantis stylists were featured in a recent documentary called "Needle Through Brick".
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby waterhorse on Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 am

Wikipedia makes a brief mention of Hakka styles........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_Kuen

Best,
Dave
waterhorse
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Thu May 05, 2011 5:47 pm

When I lived in Taiwan there was quite a lot of Hakka martial arts being practiced - but only within the Hakka community. It was generally unavailable to non-Hakka. As I recall, the larger Hakka communities were in Jiayi and Yilan. My landlord when I had an apartment on Jinhua St. was Hakka - he took me on a spine-jarring motorcycle trip to (if I recall correctly) Jiayi, where I got to see some ZhuJiaJiao and some other systems that were just generically called Hakka boxing (ke jia quan). I was not asked to participate - except as a demonstration model/target. I would imagine that the systems are still there - and still not very openly taught.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Well, thank you all.
Dr. Fish, I'm close to the Hakka village Meinong down south in Taiwan, and it seems still identical to what you observed, no way in there.
Grets
Dr. Bohn
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 pm

kenneth fish wrote:When I lived in Taiwan there was quite a lot of Hakka martial arts being practiced - but only within the Hakka community. It was generally unavailable to non-Hakka.

This has traditionally been the case elsewhere as well in Hakka systems like Kwong-Sai Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis, especially among the older generations of teachers, until more recent decades when non-Hakka and non-Chinese were finally accepted as students by some Chinese teachers. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

From Sam Chin’s ILC web site:
The history of I Liq Chuan is cryptic. Chin Lik Keong is the Founder of the system. He studied martial arts from several masters including Sifu Lee Sum training Lee Style, Sifu Len training Phoenix Eye (the striking of meridian points), and his last Sifu was Lee Kam Chow training Feng Yang Lu Yi. Some people called it Lu Yie Pa Kua, Hsing-I Pa Kua or Liew Mun Pai (nomadic clan). It was a hidden martial art skill used by these nomads to protect themselves on the open roads and was not open to the public, and only passed down secretly. The higher levels of skill were kept for the family members only. Through his years of training he realized and dissolved all the arts of his former training to the basic movement according to the nature of the human structure.

Note that the ‘nomadic clan’ arts referred to here is Hakka. Since I never learned Hakka fighting arts, I do not know what aspects of ILC are Hakka, what are from the other arts, and what are innovations from Chin’s synthesis, insights and innovations.

Dan
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby XinKuzi on Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 am

LaoDan wrote:...I do not know what aspects of ILC are Hakka, what are from the other arts, and what are innovations from Chin’s synthesis, insights and innovations.

I've wondered about this... I, for one, would be interested to know more about ILC's Hakka roots. :)
XinKuzi
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 pm

XinKuzi wrote:
LaoDan wrote:...I do not know what aspects of ILC are Hakka, what are from the other arts, and what are innovations from Chin’s synthesis, insights and innovations.

I've wondered about this... I, for one, would be interested to know more about ILC's Hakka roots. :)

the backbone is feng yang liu yi, as in, feng yang china. (the place with the round houses i believe)

also called liu yi bagua, or we've also seen references to two different styles, one called feng yan xing yi quan and one called liu yi bagua. Sifu always told me that feng yang liu yi was a xing yi bagua style. in any case, we don't know our selves. Sijo learned from a man named Lee, Kam Chow, that's about it. Lot's of the old historical stuff got lost in some floods they had in Malaysia on the 60's I think.

Some of the Wuji I Liq Chuan guys managed to get some of the remaining feng yang liu yi quan pu from the last of the other living students of Lee, Kam Chow, but I don't really think they shed much more light.
Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) focused in controlling your opponent, while Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳)is yielding and issuing energy (fa-jing, 发勁). Master Lee Kim Chow learnt the art from Chu Yin Cheong in China and he was the inheritor of Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳), while he learnt Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) from Master Lee Tian Kim . After settling down in Malaya, He began to spread the art among the Chinese community here.
Last edited by ashe on Fri May 06, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby XinKuzi on Sat May 07, 2011 6:33 am

Interesting - thanks for the info, Ashe!
XinKuzi
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 am

From what little I have seen of Hakka styles:
Use toe-in stances extensively
Use a lot of fajing from the upper, rather than lower dantien - the chest opens/closes, the upper spine bends, unbends
Largely hand-technique based
Short range
Very "shocky" type of force
Not beautiful CMA - but effective, I would guess

The Hakka houses/fortifications in the Fujien area suggest a very close, communal lifestyle. Defense of these rounded, tower-like fortifications would, indeed, require very close-in tactics.

However, I have seen very few Hakka weapons forms, which is odd, as for people like the Hakka, migrating south through the generations and having to build fortified communities in the lands they encroached upon, weapons skills would have been critical.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 am

I think we should beware of generalizations when it comes to Hakka styles. Since the Hakka peope were known as nomadic tribes that lived and moved throughout various provinces in China, they had the opportunities to absorb elements from many systems to create and modify their own fighting styles along the way. So there's always the possibility that one Hakka style can be quite different from another.

There are two relatively well-known Hakka systems in Taiwan called "Yueh Fei Chuan" (general Yue Fei's boxing) and "Liu Ming Chuan"(nomadic tribe boxing), and both have relatively extended postures and techniques that do not resemble regular Hakka/southern systems.

Check them out:

Yue Fei Chuan

Liu Ming Chuan

[
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 am

C.J.W.:

Doh chya! Uhn hao lyak chim doong see. 8-)

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Liu Ming Chuan

wow that's a super exciting find! yang feng liu yi was also called liu mun pai.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue May 10, 2011 4:12 am

Interesting videos, Hakka styles do seem to retain a southern flavor to them in general.

I guess that there are still many styles that have not been taught to outsiders yet (besides Hakka); I wonder just how much of "outed" styles have really been made available to the public, too!
edededed
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan