Fa Jing: Power Issuing Part II Adam Hsu

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Fa Jing: Power Issuing Part II Adam Hsu

Postby Bob on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 am

Fa Jing (發勁): Power Issuing
Interview of Sifu Adam Hsu

by Ryuji Matsuda (松田隆智)

(Recorded by Syou Oyanagi (大柳勝)
Published in the Japanese magazine, Wushu in 1983
Translated to English by Joan-Huey Dow)

Part 2
(back to part 1)

Figure 8 (Click to enlarge) 6. If You Don't Learn Chan Si Jing, You Don't Learn Chinese Kung Fu!

There are two important topics in learning kung fu: one is the method of power issuing (fa jing) and the other one is the technique of attack and defense. These two topics are not independent, but intertwined together and cannot be separated. If we can issue power with strong force but don't know the techniques to attack and defend, we can never defeat the opponent no matter how strong the power we can issue. On the contrary, if we only know the techniques of attack and defense but do not know the method of power issuing, we cannot defeat the opponent either no matter now many times we are able to hit the opponent. These two techniques are complementary and should be learned simultaneously. The fact that Chinese kung fu has many curved and circular movements is due to the influence of the fa jing method and also the chan si jing. It can be demonstrated by taiji quan and bagua zhang.

We can use spear to explain further. Many countries in the world have various types of spears. The Masai tribe in Africa throws their spears to attack the target. Both Europe and Japan have spears for poking and thrusting. From the traditional Chinese kung fu point of view, these weapons are not real spears. Their usages indeed are closer to staff based on the techniques and the methods of power issuing. If the usage of a weapon does not have the curved and circular movements, i.e., chan si jing, it is not really a spear technique per Chinese kung fu standards.

Why do we say, "Spear is the king of all weapons," in Chinese martial arts? This is due to the spiral movements – chan si jing. Other Chinese weapons have the spiral movement too, but they don't emphasize it as much as in spear. Therefore we can say that it is not traditional Chinese kung fu if there is no chan si jing in the movements. This is the soul of Chinese kung fu.

Figure 9 7. The Types and Methods of Fa Jing

I cannot give a complete list of all jing from all kung fu styles. In short, every kung fu style has its own character, focus, and strength. We cannot really judge if any one is better than others. The common methods of "jing" are as follows:

"Thrust jing" (衝勁) is the straight thrusting and punching movement.
"Down jing" (揣勁) is the pushing down movement.
"Up jing" (攢勁) is the upward striking movement.
"Spring jing" (彈勁) is the curving, springing movement.
"Throw jing" (甩勁) is the sweeping and throwing out movement.
"Shake jing" (抖勁) is the shaking up movement.
"Split jing" (劈勁) is the cutting and chopping movement.
...Etc.
These are the methods of jing with noticeable power issuing movements. In addition, there are many methods of jing that don't have very noticeable movements, such as the "expanding jing" (掤勁) in taiji quan and "suck jing" (吸勁) in Chinese wrestling. It is very hard to tell with the eyes, but it can be identified easily through touch.

Figure 10 (Click to enlarge) 8. The Categories of Fa Jing Based on Direction and Distance

Now let's discuss the categories of jing based on direction and distance. Per direction there are "straight jing," "horizontal jing," and "diagonal jing." (直勁, 橫勁, 斜勁) Per distance there are "long jing," "middle jing," and "short jing." The "thrust jing" is an example of "straight jing" because the word "thrust" is the action of pushing straight ahead like the "blocking hand fist" (掩手捶) in taiji quan. The "horizontal jing" means pushing sideway like the "under elbow fist" (肘底捶) in taiji quan. The "diagonal jing" is for the direction between the front and the side, i.e., 45 degree angle, like the "groin pointing fist" (指擋捶) in taiji quan. These are the three basic types of jing in terms of direction although there are other jing for different directions and angles too. In addition, I want to point out that changing direction of the jing is comparatively easy to achieve.

The next category is differences in distance: In real combat, we should hit the target when issuing power no matter what the distance from the target is. Otherwise, it becomes useless. Therefore, we want to be able to issue power and complete the mission of the movement for targets at any distance. Of course, it becomes more difficult to issue power as the distance becomes shorter. That's why it is very important to know the proper way to practice.

We can take "lift palm" (托掌) in "xiao baji" as an example: It is a "middle jing" and it's very hard to do. It will take a long time - a year or longer - and tremendous effort and suffering to master it if we practice it as a "middle jing" from the beginning. We can practice it as a "long jing" at the beginning and continue for 3 months to really grasp the details of this movement. We then shorten the distance and continue the practice for another 3 months. By this approach, we will eventually be able to shorten the distance and valuable time to meet the requirements of the "middle jing" much easier.

It should be noted that fa jing is a basic training and the practice should start from "long jing." It is also important to remember: "long jing" indeed has all the key components of the advanced movement - "short jing." Training should be conducted step by step without skipping any steps in between.

Figure 11 (Click to enlarge) 9. Degree of Jing: Visible, Hidden, and Melt

Let's move on to discuss the meaning of "visible," "hidden," and "melt" in jing, i.e., the three stages "visible jing," "hidden jing," and "melt jing." The "visible jing" can be seen easily and everyone can identify all movements in the power issuing process. The existence of jing in "hidden jing" cannot be identified clearly and not everyone can see and understand the movements well. The "melt jing" cannot be recognized at all. The "visible jing" is described with four traditional characters that mean "with shape and expression;" the "hidden jing" is "with ambiguous and almost non-existing shape and expression;" and the "melt jing" is "without shape and expression."

Then what is "shape?" And what is "expression?" There are the two steps in the power issuing process: preparation and utilization. In other words, the former is accumulating power and the latter is issuing power.

When one can advance his skill gradually from visible to hidden, and then from hidden to melt to accumulate and issue power, his movements become invisible to most people. Accumulating power is the preparation step that is like "pulling the bow." Issuing power is the utilization step that is like "releasing the arrow."

We can use "stealing heart palm" (偷心掌) in "da baji" as an example. I would show all the movements clearly if I demonstrate it. However, if my teacher, Sifu Liu Yun-Chiao, were to demonstrate it, you would be totally confused because you won't be able see all movements clearly. The layman may say, "Sifu Hsu, your baji is better than your teacher's!" This is due to the fact that I must try my best to intentionally show all the power issuing movements clearly so that people can see each step. Sifu Liu’s demonstration would not show the movements of accumulating and issuing power clearly because he used the "melt jing" all the time! As a martial arts practitioner, we should pay attention: The differences lie in each one's skill and achievement.

Last but not least: what is the mental aspect of jing? Here is the conclusion of this article.

Jing is not force; it is more advanced and refined than force. Jing is not a posture; it is a movement--postures are the preparatory and ending positions, while movement is the transition between postures. Jing is not spirit, expression, or "beauty" although jing can be expressed beautifully. Jing is not qi but it requires qi. Jing is not a physical body but it requires a physical body to carry it out. Jing is not a thought and not a mindset either, but it requires your mind to lead and focus it.

Then what's the use of mental training in kung fu? It is important to remember this: Chan si jing is endless and flexible. It is full of varieties and possibilities. It is not monotonous at all. It waits for the best opportunity to emerge calmly and quietly with no haste. It does not insist on subjective opinion and determination. It takes advantage of any opportunity without reservation and hesitation. When it identifies the target, it persists and does not give up easily. Therefore, it affects the practitioner's character, interpersonal and social skills, and attitude towards life. The characteristics of chan si jing are exactly the typical characteristics of Chinese people. That's why Chinese invented the kung fu. They invented chan si jing due to these special ethnic characteristics. The same can be said of other areas outside of martial arts, such as philosophy, arts, and literature.

Chinese individuals can take the full advantage of chan si jing due to their personalities and mental characteristics. Therefore I have the following advice for all practitioners of kung fu, especially non-Chinese practitioners who are reading this article: In addition to kung fu practice, you should study and come to understand the Chinese people, their culture and characteristics. This includes the study and experience of disciplines such as philosophy, history, the arts, cuisine, and even the language. This is the best way to help you to master kung fu and, at the same time, make this art, which is so deeply connected to its ethnic roots, into a genuine Global Chinese kung fu!

http://www.adamhsu.com/articles/taiwanblog_FaJing2.html

Note the date of the original article. In 1983 there wasn't much technical information on traditional Chinese martial arts in the West. Adam Hsu helped bring a lot of these ideas to the forefront of the art in the West. In that sense, I feel very indebted to Adam Hsu.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Fa Jing: Power Issuing Part II Adam Hsu

Postby Interloper on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:35 am

Has anyone here ever trained with Adam Hsu (seminar, etc.)? I know he has been writing essays for MA mags for decades.
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks for posting, it is a cool article.

1. The straight and horizontal jing are 2 basic and opposing powers. The diagonal power is supplemental. and the circular power would harmonize or communicate between straight and horizontal jing.

2. there are 3 levels, ming jing would be the apparent power. an jing or hidden power is more difficult to understand and practice, it is theorized to go under the flow or tone of the apparent power.

in short, we have to practice ming jing first and over time, we fine tune and grade the "level"s of the main apparent power into several hidden powers. or hidden powers ride along with the main apparent powers at a different level, time of progression and angular factor etc. This is the theory.

3. final level is hua jing or neutralizing or dissolving the power, we may deal with and dissovle the apparent power, but to hua hidden power would take much longer time to practice.

--

Adams Hsu was and still is one of the most prolific writers on CMA topics in Taiwan.

Usually people just write a book and a few articles, and that is it.

--

I read some of his writings and enjoyed his perspectives, too.

but for the most part, I think that we have to practice the same or similar disciplines/schools/styles, to be able to appreciate what he is saying.

I do not practice all the styles that he did.

so I was only able to relate the few styles that I practice to his writings.

--

;)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 pm

In his article, he mentioned melted jing.

He meant the power is melted into your structure or evaporated or just part of you.

This I may not relate.

;D ;) 8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:48 pm

melted energy (hua jing) -- better known as neutralizing power in most translated text.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Frank Bellemare on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 pm

I love Adam Hsu's writings. They are clear, logical and consistent. It's a rare thing in our small world to have an educated man study kung fu with many great masters and organise their collected teaching in a logical way. His book "The Sword Polisher's Record" changed the way I see CMA. I read it again every now and then and I'm always amazed at how clear he makes CMA training appear. We need more Adam Hsus!
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby I-mon on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:08 am

Interloper wrote:Has anyone here ever trained with Adam Hsu (seminar, etc.)? I know he has been writing essays for MA mags for decades.

i went and checked out his school one day last year when they were recruiting new students. everyone there has to learn something like 24 lines of tantui and longfist before they can start learning bajiquan or bagua (they also teach taiji and pigua but he said there were no pigua students at the moment). he was super nice, and there were a few young guys there doing some quite nice looking baji training.

i was too polite to ask to push hands with him.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:10 am

I-mon wrote:i was too polite to ask to push hands with him.

Dang. That's the part I was most interested in. ;D
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:13 am

I met Hsu about 6 months ago when he, along with several other teachers from Wutang in Taiwan, gave a demonstration at a private university in Taipei. At almost 70 years of age, he's put on some weight and gotten that "friendly grandpa" look.
He showed some Taizhu Long Fist on stage alongside his students, and demonstrated several applications. It seemed to me that he was just taking things really easy since the majority of the audience were laymen.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:36 am

Yes.

CMA or any MA really takes one to know one.

1. books are very difficult to read and even more difficult to write, with all the specific terms and difficult to pronounce old chinese characters.

every term has its specific usage--

2. in general, we start with tan tui or long fist in northern styles.

we may practice a snap kick with some hand moves several times to the left and back to the right and again to the left

till we drop.

this is a really good work out with repetition.

I picked up the habits and format, so I compiled some single posture from other styles and doing the road of repetition, too.

--

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan