How long should one practice a day? Baguazhang.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

How long should one practice a day? Baguazhang.

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

I read a quote that made me think, how long should I really be dedicating to bagua practice at my starting level? I just recently started, and I do have a part time job so I do have more time than others. I have a simple little schedule thats around 2 1/2 hours long at the moment in the mornings. This seems like nothing compared to what I read in here.

Should I wait until I gain more body conditioning so I don't stress myself out? I'm taking Fu style, if that means anything.

Thanks!
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Re: How long should one practice a day? Baguazhang.

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:09 am

2 and a half a day is more than most. What you might have to worry about is burn out from practicing too much.

Its better to practice a half hour a day than practice 6 hours straight one day a week. Consistency is more important than how long you do it each day.

If 2 and a half hours is enjoyable and you have the time then do it, if it feels too much like work then back off and only do an hour and a half or whatever. Just be consistent.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 am

the age-old question! how much is enough? practice as much as you can, as often as you can is the rule i use. also, quality of practice over quantity of practice. the best practice routine is the one that works best for YOU, and you're the only one that knows what that is.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 am

Quality over quantity. No point in practicing if you are not practicing right. So if you can only maintain focus, and proper posture for say 15 minutes, it is better to do just that 15 minutes, then to try and push an hour where you will be re-enforcing bad habits for 45 minutes after the 15 good minutes. Get my drift?
Jake
JAB

Postby spring on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:58 am

You need to apply the principles of your art to everyday life, then its solved the problem. Bagua is based on the step, so think how often you walk and treat each step as a practice - mindful, rooted but light, driving your center and so on. Same with twisting, turning etc.
spring
Mingjing

Postby affa on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:04 am

if you aren't getting healthier or you keep getting your ass handed to you, it's not enough.
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:38 am

I think instead of my time limits, I'll just keep going until I feel it is enough, rather than saying I have to stop or start somewhere.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:37 pm

9000 circles a day or until you get struck by lightning. Which ever comes first. ;D Sorry, old joke.

Yo man just practice as much as you can and as correctly as you know how. The rest will take care of itself. Don't worry about practicing "wrong" if you are being attentive to what you were shown. Your teacher should be able to make sure you aren't missing anything. 2 and a half hours are plenty. Listen to your body too, which will prevent any burnout from happening in the first place. Also, see what your teacher says about how to train.
Chris Fleming

Postby edededed on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:55 pm

By the way, Chris... Does that prairie dog in your avatar have a name? I see it here and there...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 am

I guess people call it the Dramatic Prairie Dog. See also the Dramatic Lemur, Cat, etc.
Chris Fleming

Postby edededed on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 am

Cool, a good name for the critter :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:02 am

spring wrote:You need to apply the principles of your art to everyday life, then its solved the problem. Bagua is based on the step, so think how often you walk and treat each step as a practice - mindful, rooted but light, driving your center and so on. Same with twisting, turning etc.

True dat. I'm doing bagua 24/7. Luckily I have a job that allows me to practice all day long.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:44 am

I've "practiced" bagua at work before. This has happened more than one occasion. With lots of people around, sometimes space is cramped. There are some older employees who have a habit of walking very slow in one direction and then all of a sudden turning around quickly to go in the other direction with absolutely no mind whatsoever as to anyone else who is around them. To avoid a head on crash (and probably killing them as a result) I've had to do some bagua footwork with spins and S-shaped lines--works every time.
Chris Fleming

Postby Mut on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 pm

practice as much as you want just be careful not to burn out..... remember practice does not make perfect perfect practice makes perfect.....
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:47 am

However much you practice, at least 60% of what you do should be partner drills.
Ian

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan