bridging drills

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: bridging drills

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 am

kreese wrote:Interesting, D_Glenn. The soft hand is ready to become hard.

Is 'jie' intercepting, as in Jeet Kun Do?

Actually look at chuan zhang as the segments of the arm should feel hard and intent is put out but the wrist, elbow, and shoulder are loose and react to and conform to the opponents arm and move, chuan is trying to find a hole or opening so it needs to move and roll while maintaining contact to what it's already met, moving like a rope, the pointed fingers are weaving and tight to avoid getting caught on clothing as they make the way for the elbow and shoulder to strike, they only stab to soft spots like under the jaw bone. So segments of arm- hard, joints - soft.

Sort of the opposite of chuan or 'yang' side to chuan's 'yin' is the arm should be like a cow's tounge, instead of hardness think of giving a feeling of heaviness and using a rubbing or kneading and rolling on the opponent to transform. If kneading dough with a rolling pin you need to really 'press' down and roll or it tears. The opponent needs to feel that weight. You could say the segments of the arm are soft while now the joints are held hard/strong.

In both palms though the intent is strong and like CJ.Wang said you use your intent to steal theirs and get them to follow your game plan. In chuan zhang though intent is in the hand to the fingertips and bones of the forearm around neiguan point, and the broken segments helps to hide the body from the opponent. In the open palm of the 'yang' palm or common dragon shape palm intent is at the wrist, heel of palm, and laogong point and then in the elbow dropping and shoulder where the strategy makes use of the opponent being able to feel the body just usually they feel it a split-second to late. Yin Fu was tall and skinny that's why he focused on the chuan zhang or 'yin' side of bagua.

Sorry but I don't know the first thing about JKD. :-\

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Re: bridging drills

Postby kreese on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Thank you for elaborating.

Recently I discovered that I was putting too much intent into the piercing hand. When I put it into the other hand, things feel much more balanced. This is solo form, here, btw. In application practice, I also think the soft hand is more deceptive, more 'stealth', and ready to go 'yang' in an instant. I find that when a hand has too much intent, the next thing it must do is relax. This is mostly at the level of intent, but it really makes a difference physically in terms of balance and power. So I think, because we do different styles, we are talking about the same principles (you, more in depth than I understand) just in different ways. Maybe not.

jeet kune do is supposed to mean The Way of the Intercepting Fist, maybe jie quan dao in Mandarin. Maybe not.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan