Practice after sex...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Practice after sex...

Postby edededed on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Yeah, sounds like wishful thinking to me...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Elliot on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 pm

D Glenn,

My reading comprehension skills may not be on par with your exceptional writing skills, and you are certainly on another level when it comes to being a smart ass.

However, you should understand that Western medicine studies a lot of things, trying to handpick certain subjects of Western medical research and somehow make them tantamount to archaic Chinese medical theory does not validate archaic Chinese medical theory.
Elliot

Postby klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Elliot wrote:D Glenn,

My reading comprehension skills may not be on par with your exceptional writing skills, and you are certainly on another level when it comes to being a smart ass.

However, you should understand that Western medicine studies a lot of things, trying to handpick certain subjects of Western medical research and somehow make them tantamount to archaic Chinese medical theory does not validate archaic Chinese medical theory.

Elliot, you are cherry picking among the arguments here. That will never do. It is sophomoric, an ancient Greek word. It's a fine word, you should look it up.

There is reality on the one hand, and on the other there are theories to explain it. There are also theories to deny it, but they need not concern us here.

A very long while ago, ancient people, both in the East and in the West, began to catalog what they observed and drew conclusions. Their conclusions do not limit the validity of their observations. If you do not like their conclusions, you are still bound to inspect, if not respect, their observations. That much is fair science.

I am certainly on record as saying the chi and meridians theory is just that, a theory, an explanation of phenomena, but not the only explanation. It is the phenomena that are more interesting. Certain patterns of training will produce certain reactions in the athlete. This is certainly verifiable by any tests you care to impose upon yourself relative to the current discussion (as if that's going to happen.)

In short, I think you will never be quite as secure as you might be, in your own position, unless, and until, you grab your socks and head on down to the gym.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 pm

Pardon me, Elliot, but what is your agenda here (a Chinese martial arts discussion board)?

Do you practice Chinese martial arts? If not, what do you practice?

You have made it clear that you base your world outlook on "Western science" (i.e. that view that rejects all others), and that is fine - many of us (me, too) have been there before. However, it does seem a bit queer that you keep pushing this outlook to people here who are obviously interested in widening their horizons and learning about things that are not included in Western learning. Outright rejecting anything not within the current thresholds of Western science seems to imply that you think that everything to know is known already.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:48 pm

I've wondered about that too, Ed. He is not here to learn, so presumably he is here to teach. (Of course! ;) )

He does not write well enough to be Mike Cherrill.

No observable respect for, or understanding of, such concepts as are discussed here--no! He knows better.

It is said that when the pupils are ready the master will arrive. In this case the pupils around here are evidently not ready. Perhaps it is because, all combined, we have centuries of martial arts to his...what? One or two years? In this case I would suggest the master buzz off.

Away with you, Elliot, and the horse you rode in on.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Elliot on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Great posts Klonk. Sophomoric is a good word, I didn't have to look it up, they told me what it meant when I was a sophmore (wait a minute, are you taking smart ass lessons from D Glenn?)

Eeded,
Does one have to have an agenda to post on a martial arts discussion board? If so, what is the accepted agenda here? I'd like to fit in and not disturb the standard dogma.

It's fascinating how all the experts here project their ideas onto my posts. I'm here to discuss, what could I possibly teach people who have the ability to actually inherit centuries of knowledge. :o

p.s. Klonk, I know you believe anything old is better than anything new, but I drive a car. :)
Elliot

Postby klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:18 pm

The elderly professor looked keenly at me and said:

"What is the purpose of your inquiry, young man? If you don't know that, you can hardly expect to learn aught beside!"

p.s. Elliot, you may depart on a starship so far as I care.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Elliot,

You didn't answer any of my questions. :)

As for your questions:

In general, people posting on Chinese martial arts discussion boards are interested in Chinese martial arts. The usual agenda is thus, talking about Chinese martial arts (not politics, as many EF members seem to think).

In the same way, people posting on hamster discussion boards are for the most part interested in hamsters, and thus, their agenda is to talk about hamsters.

If you are not interested in the main subject of discussion here, I wonder if you might not find a more interesting place elsewhere. If you are interested, then you have of course found the right place.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 am

Elliot never answers any questions. He only gives lectures.

It this were a Turing Test bot, I would give it a fail.

I'm putting this matter on ignore for now.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:36 am

Elliot wrote:Great posts Klonk. Sophomoric is a good word, I didn't have to look it up, they told me what it meant when I was a sophmore (wait a minute, are you taking smart ass lessons from D Glenn?)

Eeded,
Does one have to have an agenda to post on a martial arts discussion board? If so, what is the accepted agenda here? I'd like to fit in and not disturb the standard dogma.

It's fascinating how all the experts here project their ideas onto my posts. I'm here to discuss, what could I possibly teach people who have the ability to actually inherit centuries of knowledge. :o

p.s. Klonk, I know you believe anything old is better than anything new, but I drive a car. :)

-ban-
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Elliot on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am

Eded,

I'm not here to discuss my personal life, I'm here to discuss the topics on the board. The problem seems to be the agenda here isn't really discussion, it's agreement. Someone posts about retaining sperm being good for you, I disagree, and cite evidence, people here (who, for the most part seem to agree that retaining sperm is somehow good for you, apparently because the ancient Chinese said so) counter with a measure of hostility, yet no real logical counter argument (much like religious fanatics).

People interested in rational inquiry do not mind dissenting points of view, they view them as a challenge. Discussion will ensue. Those with irrational faith and the ignorant will respond to dissenting points of view by either shunning the one that challenges their unconfirmed beliefs or ignoring him and his troublesome message (see Klonk's and Deus' posts above).
Elliot

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 am

Elliot maybe you started on the wrong foot here. Right or wrong, I also have the impression that you came on the board to preach to the heathens. The reason is maybe because you always seem to challenge and contradict. Also the tone of your post seems to be mostly sarcastic or derisive (which lead me to react to your posts a few times). Maybe it is only typical message board miscommunication.

I don't think that you're really trolling, but these are my impressions and I have the feeling that they may be shared by a few others who have stronger feelings toward CMA than I do. I am just trying to pinpoint the source of hostility directed at you.

I am not saying to agree with all it is said here, but consider that most people here do not know you. It helps if you can present yourself briefly, as a courtesy toward the board. This will be perceived as good intentions. Also, you said that you have been disappointed by the initial reaction of some members toward your inquiries and that gave your posts a bitter tone, but you may want to reconsider that. At least for starters.

My intention is not to criticize you, but to help you fit in, because you sound like an intelligent guy with good intentions but strong beliefs. Some background info about you may help.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

Elliot wrote:Eded,

I'm not here to discuss my personal life, I'm here to discuss the topics on the board. The problem seems to be the agenda here isn't really discussion, it's agreement. Someone posts about retaining sperm being good for you, I disagree, and cite evidence, people here (who, for the most part seem to agree that retaining sperm is somehow good for you, apparently because the ancient Chinese said so) counter with a measure of hostility, yet no real logical counter argument (much like religious fanatics).

People interested in rational inquiry do not mind dissenting points of view, they view them as a challenge. Discussion will ensue. Those with irrational faith and the ignorant will respond to dissenting points of view by either shunning the one that challenges their unconfirmed beliefs or ignoring him and his troublesome message (see Klonk's and Deus' posts above).

Some people aren't worth argueing with. Usually those who base their arguments on logical fallacies like yours. But you think you already know everything so you probably understand that.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Elliot on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:30 am

Darthwing,
Points taken, thanks.

Deus,
Which logical fallacies would you be referring to?
Elliot

Postby wiesiek on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:21 am

Elliot wrote:Eded,

(who, for the most part seem to agree that retaining sperm is somehow good for you, apparently because the ancient Chinese said so) counter with a measure of hostility, yet no real logical counter argument (much like religious fanatics).

If you train IMA one of 1st goal to achive is to "open" Du and Ren meridians
it isn`t easy task

if you add retaining to training regime /but ONLY if you know "Cloud and rain" tech./
it can be done in 6 months /compare to couple of years of trainings w/o :P /

and I kow this not only
becaue the ancient Chinese said so
as in whole MAs thing:
experience was 1st,
theory came later
so
real logical counter argument simply doesn`t exist
truth is
that we are the same and little different in the same time - this is the main reason that not everythings is for everybody :)
Last edited by wiesiek on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan