I'm converting

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

I'm converting

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

After years of IMA practice, with one of the best IMA teachers I've met as my teacher, I am leaving IMA. I loved my teacher, but she couldn't teach students how to fight, not because she can't herself, but because none of my fellow students were interested in the Martial aspect. Hard to do it alone, you know? So now I am moving to Tokyo, and have the following options:

1. Su Dong Chen
Pros: great rep, supposedly a fighter
Cons: 1 hour from my place, once a week, on weekends when I prefer to be with the kids, unknown teaching ability

2. Laughter 7, Sakuraba's dojo
Pros: Sakuraba, who I consider to be the smartest MMA fighter, 8 minutes from my place, reasonable, solid fight training 5 days a week. It's on my way to work, and I don't have to pay for the commute. Hell, I could walk there. Might also help my career.
Cons: Cauliflower ear (kidding), might get lower level of training because I am not targetting pro. Unknown quality of instruction (It only opened 4 months ago)

3. Crazy Bee, Yamamoto Kid's dojo
Pros: Kid speaks English well. (Actually, this is neutral.), It's a damn nice facility, solid fight training 5 days a week, and even has kids classes. Might also help my career. Known skill at teaching.
Cons: Same as sakuraba

4. Akuzawa
Pros: fantastically interesting method, solid reputation.
Cons: unknown teaching ability, 1.5 hours from my place or more.

After having reviewed all the choices, I am pretty sure I am going with Sak or Crazy bee. I will most definitely at least visit Su's place, and if his students are good enough, then I will consider it. (I know, students are not the measure of a teacher always. Most of the students I have know were slackers, including me at times). Still, I am 90% sure it will be Sakuraba's with Crazy Bee as a second choice.

I hope I can still hang out and talk shop with all you silk jammie wearing fools...
Last edited by Muad'dib on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Re: I'm converting

Postby klonk on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Best of luck! Sakuraba's dojo sounds very interesting, I'd be keenly interested in checking it out if I had the opportunity.

You don't have to leave behind IMA altogether, if you don't want to. Standing practice mixes in fine with any sort of other practice, IMA or EMA. It is just the thing for people working on their own because it is in some measure self-correcting, and you know you aren't getting the movements wrong, because you aren't moving.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Johnny Drama on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:26 pm

I would go with either Sakuraba or Yamaotos dojo. If Sak can teach technique, his palce is a no brainer. If its lazy and just living off the name, I have a feeling Yamamotos gym will be a place where a hard work ethic is encouraged. Really look into that one. You have some great choices ahead of you. Good luck.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Yeah, Yamamoto has had several people visit his old gym, and give it glowing reviews. His new gym looks 10X nicer too. I'm not sure what Sak's gym will be like, or even if it will take "fitness" students like me. (Like I said, too old to turn pro...) The headquarters for one of the fringe branches of aikido is near me too, and a large Shin-Kyokushin Dojo, as well as a branch of Tatsumi Ryu traditional sword stuff. I'm hoping Saku's place works out though. Maybe when I get back I'll be able to give Josh vogel a run for his money. (unlikely)
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm

cool man! I would definitely go check those places out if I were there. And of course consult with mr. su and akuzawa. both of their shenfa are fantastic.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby JAB on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

You are not converting, you are evolving.
You have to ask such silly questions?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFhEy_4WkQ Nuff said IMO! ;D
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:09 pm

JAB wrote:You are not converting, you are evolving.
You have to ask such silly questions?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFhEy_4WkQ Nuff said IMO! ;D
Cheers
Jake

I just saw some of Killer Bee Yamamoto's clips. He's one of those dudes with a mean streak in the ring -- a natural born butt whupper so to speak.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:26 pm

He is also supposedly super nice in person. Great that someone can turn that on and off.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 pm

I'd go with Minoru Akuzawa/Aunkai. Learn his body skills and methods, inculcate them into yourself, and you will be able to apply them in any martial way you desire. That's why he teaches the internal skills and not any particular martial art, style or system. It's up to the student to take this "special ingredient" and express it through a martial art of choice (or none at all) later.

At least go to a seminar when he offers them. They have a website: http://www.aunkai.net/eng/
If you want to find out more about his teaching ability, I think one of his students posts here under the name of "Upyu." Maybe send him a PM.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Sakuraba is my favorite MMA fighter of all time. I would train with him on a regular basis, and with Su Dong Chen when you can, that is when you can travel there.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:23 pm

I'd go with Sakuraba in a heartbeat over the others unless there's an obvious red flag. 8 minutes away? You'll never miss a class.

As for your IMA, maintain it by yourself no matter what the cost. Never see your previous training as a waste. It wasn't. It got you to where you are today. Keep it in case you need to get someone else to where you are. And you'll likely later see value in it that you aren't getting in your other arts. FWIW.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Interloper, I used to push hands with Upyu (Rob John), who is a very nice guy. While I have respect for what Akuzawa is trying to teach, I'm not sure his teaching methods are for me. Really, for me it is not about style, ultimately. What I am looking for is combat effectiveness (as opposed to my prior internal heavy exp.), and a teacher who's teaching style matches my learning style. I think in many ways the last is most important, because most MA teachers have no clue about how different students learn, so focus on the ones who seem to "get it" without understanding that other students could get it just as easily, if it were explained differently. Educational theory is not really high on the MA teacher's priority list after all.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:18 pm

If you have kids just go to the nearest school.

That's what I'm doing, when I can I'll get training at some other places but when you have someone like Sak or a Gracie living near you you can't go wrong if that's what you're looking for.

Also as someone else said this way you never miss a class. Personally I believe you have to see your teacher at least twice a weak to see progress especially if the system is new to you.

Give us a full report on Sak's gym.

Good times,

G
CaliG

Postby Dale Dugas on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Su dong chen has some skills and will pass them on to you.

MMA is nice as a sport. Not for real fighting which Su can show you.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Zhong,

Do you plan on becoming a professional fighter or does your job involve dealing with physical violence on a regular basis?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan