I'm converting

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: I'm converting

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:44 am

is there something inherently superior about walking in circles?

Yup.

Circle walking is not just walking in a circle. It's about all kinds of small variations of posture that are the part of the style they're in. In the bagua I do we do pretty extreme twisting at the begining, and it's more like holding a yoga posture than the repetitive quality garnered by pounding on a heavy bag...even if you can get all zen wit it :) . The long term posture holding and deep twisting focus the mind in the areas of tension in the body and hold them there. Then you get to figure out how to release that. In the process you have to modify the way you think and react to movement in the interior of the body. Since a lot of your thought processes are feedback loops telling you about danger in the environment and whether or not you are going to fall down (basic balance) you have to work through how to not react to those stimuli in the same way so that your body can relax (be sung) enough to start utilizing the fluid dynamics of the body and tendonous strength over brute muscular force (as awesome as that is for pounding someone when it's appropriate).

Anyhoo, there's only two ways to do that to the body...stretch it or twist it, and forcing spiral shapes (twisting) into your nervous system over a long period of time via walkikng in a circle changes both the way you think and the way you move as well as your ability have a much higher level of control of movement throughout the totality of the body based on the way the mind has to become intimate with the body by the spiral postural distinctions.

Does that make sense?

Best,

S- king of the runon sentence
Last edited by shawnsegler on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:24 pm

Just for the record I train more with BJJ cats. We do Vale Tudo, but I cannot always make the class, and it is not our focus. I have also been training with a boxer, but no MMA. Kurt Robbins posts here every now and then, does MMA with Matt Humes school. He will agree with about 99.9% of what I say. Couple others.
Nothing wrong with CMA, but lets not get so defensive to the point where we attack and belittle other arts. Every school is different in every style. Sure there are assholes in MMA gyms out there, as there are in CMA (just talking to a friend yesterday about how bad certain Hung Ga schools have become in the area in this regard!). I admit Yamamoto is kind of a dick in the ring, but in the highlight real I saw nothing but professional instruction and training, where there was no excessive ego (exception being the clip of the stereotypical pitbull ::) ), nor bullying. Look at Imanari as the same example....kind of a prick in the ring, but an amazing practitioner.
Check out each school and compare it to what you wish to get out of training. Nothing wrong with Su, I am sure. But just because you have access to some of the best MMA fighters in the WORLD, does not mean they are going to be pricks to you. Does not mean they won't not be pricks either though ;) .

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby ashe on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Jake,

i think you missed the several times where i said i would train in sakurabas place given the opportunity, because i respect the ability and the work ethic those guys have when it comes to training and the inevitable result of your game being stepped up by association.

i was also careful to add the initial caveat that my opinions are based on the information that i have and my experience so far with people who have been "close" to the scene.

EDIT- i'll admit though, that my words sounded simultaneously both more off hand and absolute than the intent behind them.

but, even if the fighters themselves are a different story, the industry itself is fostering a predatory attitude.

and with the exception of rorion (?) gracie, i don't think i've heard of any mma guys really taking their art to the level of really pursuing some kind of self cultivation (so far).
Last edited by ashe on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:17 am

Ashe,
Was not directed directly to you. And I agree that the "industry" is sending it down the tubes!
Rorion eh?? I would argue Rickson over Rorion. But that is a different thread. There are many bro, but like many true warriors they do not boast or brag publicy.
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby ashe on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:56 am

JAB wrote: I would argue Rickson over Rorion.

you're probably right. i can't remember which brother it was. the one who had that video where he was doing yoga on the beach and talking about how he basically uses BJJ to explore himself as a person, to test himself and grow...

do you remember that clip?
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Elliot on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:00 am

Shawn,
Very informative post. I see that walking the circle in Bagua is much more than just walking in circles. The practice sounds like excellent training for whatever attributes the style requires. On the other hand, if you ever get a chance to train in a fight school, you may be surprised to find the attributes gained from similar, long, repetitive training although different from those developed with specific CMA forms, are no less "deep."

utilizing the fluid dynamics of the body and tendonous strength over brute muscular force

Spoken like a good boxing coach. :)
Elliot

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:19 am

Oh, I'm sure. They are just different.

Go walk the circle for a couple of years and let me know how you feel then.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:44 am

ashe wrote:
JAB wrote: I would argue Rickson over Rorion.

you're probably right. i can't remember which brother it was. the one who had that video where he was doing yoga on the beach and talking about how he basically uses BJJ to explore himself as a person, to test himself and grow...

do you remember that clip?

Dunno about the clip but that sure sounds like Rickson.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:01 pm

It was Rickson
He was also the first to recognize that BJJ had to move on...to Vale Tudo. It was interesting to see a BJJer without a gi and wearing 5 oz gloves.
The ground and pound upsets many advantages that BJJ can bring to a match. So does a good stand up game. Many predicted the game would evolve and it did-nicely.
That said BJJ remains a great system.
Bodywork

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Rickson indeed. I have video footage of him doing seminars in the early 90's with a pony tail! I would have loved to have met him!
Jake
JAB

Postby Elliot on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:48 pm

the one who had that video where he was doing yoga on the beach and talking about how he basically uses BJJ to explore himself as a person, to test himself and grow...

The clip is from a documentary called "Choke."

http://www.amazon.com/Rickson-Gracie-Ch ... 6305870748
Elliot

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:33 pm

Get the troll out of my thread and off this board please.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:Get the troll out of my thread and off this board please.

but there are so many... which one do you mean? :D
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Upyu on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:49 am

Sup D!
Sucks to hear you're quitting, there's decent teachers out there though.
I'd definitely go with whatever is closer...
You should hit me up when you got time, I'm definitely not the same guy as I was 2-3 years ago ;D

Anyways, I'd drop by Ark's class before making a full opinion of what the method's like... ;)
I kinda gave you a reallly brief one-over as to what are conditioning drills are like, which doesn't in any way represent how the curriculum is now.

If you're ever out this way, I'm training with Ryan Bow occasionally, it's awesome since for whatever reason NO ONE shows up to his damn class...
which means 1 - 1 time with the top ranked shooto-fighter for grapplin practice...for like 4000Y a month ;D

Sent you a pm, check ur inbox
Upyu
Anjing

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:01 am

Rob, you punk. I thought you left the country...

As for the same guy 2-3 years ago, the same goes for me... I'm worse. (3 years of school will take it out of you.)

I'll give you a call. Where is Ryan Bow, btw?

At this point, it may be entirely moot anyway, since my budget sucks...
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan