bouncer work

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

bouncer work

Postby hopgarsansau on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 am

so i currently work as a bouncer, just wondering what techniques you guys would prefer to use in this sort of venue from your various styles? also any tips from you elders who have worked in the security service would help as well
hopgarsansau
Mingjing

Re: bouncer work

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 am

i worked the doors for quite a while.

some tips.

1. BE POLITE and RESPECTFUL ... even if someone is being an arsehole ... dont be .... even if your co-workers are ... dont be (they are the ones that get stabbed walking back to their car ...). I have seen more doorman smashed in cause they were cocky ignorant people than anything else.

2. be aware and protective of your personal space.

3. Talk with your hands ... as in have the hands up gesturing and moving alot when talking to people. it presents a natural moving guard that is off putting to someone wanting to take your head off.

4. give people an exit if they want it ... don't crowd people.

5. if its kicking off n you gotta 'go'. Then go hard ... cause 'controlling' a situation thats really bad, erratic and dangerous .... aint gonna happen. Just take it to the required resolution.

As for 'techniques' .... if you dont know what your doing physically then you shouldn't be there IMO. Alot of big guys get a kicking cause they rely on being big. I would say you must have some confidence in your abilities to put yourself into that job role, so just trust yourself and your training and do 'whats needed when its needed'. The fact is that the above and the human relations side of the job is just as / more important than the fights ....

I had some of the best experiences of my training life on the doors ... there is definate value to the job if you are interested in understanding people and yourself.

But dont stay there too long ... do what you wanna do for a while then move on ...

Have a good time ... hope it helps.

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Brady on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:53 am

I was/still occasionally work as a bouncer in the VIP section of a Boston club. If its gotten to the point where you need to use techniques, then you (or one of your buddies) messed up a lot along the way. IME most fights can easily be noticed and stopped before they happen. My best technique honestly is being chums with most of the regulars and diffusing situations early. This worked well for me because I'm not at all physically imposing at 5'8" 160 lbs. Several times some of the guys alerted me of someone packing a knife who slipped past security and that was dealt with QUICK.

The few times fights broke out I usually just used standing arm locks to drive someone to the floor/wall and wait for some of the other guys to come help out. One time I got caught in the middle of a huge brawl and a rather huge dude got me in a rear naked choke so I had to use a Judo throw (seionage variation). Another time a guy swung overhead at me with a bottle so I ducked and kneed him hard to the inner thigh/balls. The last big incident I was involved with was when two huge guys threw a couch at me and that time I just got leveled. Overall though, not sure what the law is around you but if I hurt someone I was personally liable and could get sued for it. Submissions FTW!

Enjoy! And lastly-- the best part of bouncing are how many of the girls throw themselves at you, so happy hunting.
Last edited by Brady on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brady
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:42 am

Yeah, mostly try not to have to use some sort of technique.

If you do, make sure they are talking to one of your homies when you get behind them, grab em by the neck kick their legs out from under them and drag them out the door that way.

S- that's how we used to do it.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:15 am

Brady summarizes pretty well. The women are over rated though ;)
In all honesty bro, get out of the business. It is ugly, and in the end unsatisfying. Now days it can be very dangerous too (hear about the NYC cop off duty bouncing, got a rear naked choke thrown on him and ended up dieing!!!!).
Jake
JAB

Postby hopgarsansau on Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:20 pm

i threw out two ecstacy dealers the other night at a rave and broke up some fights...it was a long night.

ya i'm not in this business for fun, i know its dangerous, but my current situation doesnt allow for me to pick and choose what i do. i work as a sushi waiter in the mornings and bouncer jobs pay more so i do that on weekends.
hopgarsansau
Mingjing

Postby Andy_S on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:04 pm

You threw two E dealers out of a rave? Isn't that a bit like chucking the tuna out of the sushi cabinet?

Andy S - not too in touch with what the kids are into these days
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:09 pm

hopgarsansau wrote:so i currently work as a bouncer, just wondering what techniques you guys would prefer to use in this sort of venue from your various styles? also any tips from you elders who have worked in the security service would help as well

In my youth, I worked in security at a hotel just outside of Detroit. I worked the midnight shift, which was responsible for closing down the bar. At the time I was training heavily in Yoshinkan Aikido.

In the few times I had to be physical with anyone, I found simple comealongs to be very helpful. I also had a pair of sap gloves. They were pretty useful too.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby hopgarsansau on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:43 pm

the bar had a zero tolerance drug policy and X is a big deal now in this time and age...you could do a lot of time getting caught with it.
hopgarsansau
Mingjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan