New private sub-section for internal power discussions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

New private sub-section for internal power discussions

Postby Bodywork on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Wouldn't it be great if RSF the International Martial art forum had a private invitation only sub-section for discussions of internal power for martial artists interested in internal power?
Bodywork

Re: New private sub-section for internal power discussions

Postby XinKuzi on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Why private, invitation only? Why have it at RSF at all if it's just a completely private circle-jerk?

The RSF circle-jerk should be open to any and all who follow proper circle-jerking etiquette!
XinKuzi
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm

XinKuzi wrote:Why private, invitation only? Why have it at RSF at all if it's just a completely private circle-jerk?

The RSF circle-jerk should be open to any and all who follow proper circle-jerking etiquette!

Because to some of us the forum is what has become the circle jerk and some of us who like internal arts might like to discuss it with others who are actually interested in internal power and are not interested in debating and arguing with people who:
1. Don't have any
2. Have no idea what it is
3. Think it is bullshit
4. Think it is equal to good golfing or any good athlete.

We want to leave everyone else to enjoy their non- internal discussions on RSF The internal Martial arts forum-while we get to discuss training in actual internal power. I think it is an idea that with some thought might get off the ground.
Dan
There are a number of very skilled and knowledgeable practitioners who simply don't post at all because doing so exposes them to endless streams of mindless rejoinders from ill-informed, poorly trained, and notably unaccomplished practitioners who are suffering from meta-cognitive failure to such an extreme degree that the result calls to mind the old proverb about the inadvisability of wrestling pigs......
Bodywork

Postby chud on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Bodywork wrote:Wouldn't it be great if RSF the International Martial art forum had a private invitation only sub-section for discussions of internal power for martial artists interested in internal power?

Great idea and I think it would be cool, but unfortunately it will never happen, at least not here.
I made a similar proposal for a combat subforum and many seemed to like the idea, but the mods didn't even entertain it.
Start it up on your own, elsewhere. If you need help with hosting or anything, I can help you; I work in that business.
Last edited by chud on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm

please consider me for an invite if this gets off the ground.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 pm

While I think I agree with the general sentiment of the proposal, I am curious who gets to pass out invites . . .

Implicit in the proposal is the idea that someone here has an opinion that trumps everyone else on what is or is not legitimate discussion. For example, regarding:

1. Don't have any
2. Have no idea what it is
3. Think it is bullshit
4. Think it is equal to good golfing or any good athlete

1. Don't know if I do or not. I do not accept the proposal that not knowing means I do not have it. The problem here is that just making the claim either way begs the question: Do I even understand what "it" is in the mind of the person asking?

2. Similar to number 1. Who is there that I would accept as an absolute authority on this question?

3. Ok. That's clear enough. I can agree with this one.

4. This one is not as difficult to address as the first 2 but it still gets back to presupposing there is an absolute authority on the subject. Even if I personally do not think they are the same...this presupposes that this is a settled issue. It may be settled for certain people but it's not like there's a holy scrip somewhere spelling it out. :/

It sounds to me like the sort of thing that is good for a list, like "The Animal List" or something. Or a new forum even because whoever creates a forum certainly has the prerogative to define what constitutes acceptable participation.

Finally, don't anyone confuse anything I have written here with any of my personal opinions about IP. I am talking more about epistimology than about IP.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm

I think it's a cool idea to talk about ip, it's something I believe in and am working towards cultivating, but my concern is what about those of us that aren't long time practitioners? Shouldn't we be allowed the chance to gain insight from discussions, even if the level that we are able to participate in said discussions is not as high? Just my thoughts.
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Postby kshurika on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Why has no one said it?

Elitist. Utterly elitist.

Why not just restrict the general discussion to internal martial arts, internal power and training for same and leave out Wing Chun, kettlebells, good shoes for taiji and - what's that other thing that comes up all the time? - oh yeah, yoga.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby fuga on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Another idea is to make it a subforum that is highly moderated so that any discussions do not spiral into unproductive veins.

I would prefer it to be open so that I could learn. But I would hope that folks would be more willing to share specifics of their training (descriptions of specific exercises, videos, etc.). Otherwise what is the point of having a place to share without any sharing being done?

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 pm

kshurika wrote:Why has no one said it?

Elitist. Utterly elitist.

Well if I were a race care mechanic and belonged to a race car mechanics forum I would not last long if we spent all our time being interupted by people asking how to fix their brakes on their twelve year old Toyota. You're either on point and know the subject or not.

Why not just restrict the general discussion to internal martial arts, internal power and training for same and leave out Wing Chun, kettlebells, good shoes for taiji and - what's that other thing that comes up all the time? - oh yeah, yoga.

Yeah...that's working out real well isn't it? It puts the Mods on overtime trying to keep up.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

fuga wrote:Another idea is to make it a subforum that is highly moderated so that any discussions do not spiral into unproductive veins.

I would prefer it to be open so that I could learn. But I would hope that folks would be more willing to share specifics of their training (descriptions of specific exercises, videos, etc.). Otherwise what is the point of having a place to share without any sharing being done?

-pete

I don't want a place to share with people who do nothing but chastise, harass, present stupid, unrelated material and generally waste time and clutter and ruin threads. If they don't believe internal power is real (which in itself is rather stupid) then fuck off and go to bullshido, Judo forum or any where else. Am I the only one who has checked in on this MMA fest that RSF has become and just left? I mean WTF? This used to be a great resource and I liked coming here. It seems all the good ones just up and left.
Bodywork

Postby phil b on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm

I would like to see a section where IP can be discussed with derailing every time.
I rarely post here, because most of the discussions quickly become pointless. There's a lot of bitching and I've been bitched at for giving my opinion. I've been bitched at by people who know fuck all about me and make dumb ass comments about me while talking like they're an expert!
I would support a section that was educational.
Let's face it, we don't have to agree, but why make it personal?
I've never met Dan, but his posts make more sense than 99% of this "internal" forum.

Phil
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby Patrick on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 pm

What happens in this private sub-section? Is it a place, where you get people to agree with you, otherwise there out?
Is agreeing and having an 80% match with your opinion the same as having internal power?
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Mods,

I think creating a new "IP-only" sub forum would be a good idea - it doesn't need to be private, invitation-only (that kind of elitist mindset isn't what RSF was ever about) just moderated more strictly to stay on topic.

This forum has stopped being the happy-go-lucky bar where you could sit down for a beer and a chat with your mates that I always liked and more and more is becoming dominated by the constant bitching that this forum isn't' serious enough or internal enough and doesn't talk about IP enough.

Personally I always liked that everything was in the mix together, but I can't stand this moaning - I get enough of that from my kids, I don't need it here too!

(Personally I think the "IP-only sub forum" will pretty soon go down in flames due to the egos of the people involved, but hey, I'm willing to give it a go).

(You should probably also create an 'other arts' sub forum too, since there are a lot of discussions of those too, that I personally very much enjoy.)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 am

i'm for it!

RSF should be about that as well as general discussion on CIMA. It was/is what drew me to the forum in the first place but sadly recently there has been little or no discussion on the subject.

Though i am not sure about the invite only part.
AllanF

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan