Baji Qi Gong Translation Liu Yun Qiao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Baji Qi Gong Translation Liu Yun Qiao

Postby Bob on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:24 am

FYI to those of you who might be interested in Liu Yun Qiao's baji/pigua training methods.

Here is some of the translation from Liu's book [pamphlet]:

You can see the basic movements at:

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/bajipigua2.htm

Baji Qi Gong

Liu Yun Qiao

Preface to the Qi Gong Set

The most important movement in the qi gong set is the hun yuan posture. The hun yuan posture is a method of nurturing the qi which is a combination of heaven, man, and earth. The posture is the beginning step to enter the Dao.

The most essential idea of the hun yuan posture is wu ji [emptiness]. Within emtiness there is reality and through reality is born tai ji. After tai ji there is liang yi [two ideas] which contains the si xiang [4 images]. The 4 images thereby create the ba gua [8 trigrams] of the body. After arriving at ba gua there is a return to wu ji [emptiness/nothingness], which is the hun yuan.

The complete process of hun yuan goes as follows: wu ji --> tai ji --> liang yi --> si xiang --> ba gua --> Liu shi si gua [64 hexagrams] --> ba gua --> si xiang --> liang yi --> tai ji --> tai ji --> wu ji.

Even though the movements of the qi gong hun yuan set is simple, the blood and qi move through the 12 meridians, 3 yin channels and 3 yang channels. There is a nuturing method to turn essence [jing] into energy [qi] and finally into spirit [shen].

With constant practice the set will benefit the body and mind. If one already has a background and is practicing the martial arts, one will gain even greater benefits by practicing the set.

The abdomen is the point of wu ji [emptiness]

The navel is the point of tai ji.

The two kidneys are the liang yi [two ideas]

The two arms and legs are teh si xiang [4 images]

The eight sections of the legs and arms are the ba gua [8 trigrams]

Combining the joints of the appendages is the liu shi si gua [64 hexagrams].

Explanation of the Exercises

1) Wu Ji [emptiness]

Step 1: Relax the entire body
Step 2: Empty the mind
Step 3: Breath deep and long maintaining calmness

2) Tai ji [extreme polarity]

Step 1: naturally lif the arms, as shown in the picture, as if holding a ball at chest level
Step 2: place your attention at the zhong gong point

3) Liang Yi [two ideas]

Step 1: naturally lower both arms as if holding something tothe lower abdomen. Slightly bend the kness.
Step 2: Maintain you attention at the zhong gong point.

4) Si Xiang [4 images]

Step 1: slowly straighten the knees
Step 2: Both arms then are lifted up to the fron of the chest.
Step 3: move the qi down into the legs and up into the arms.

5) Ba Gua [8 trigrams]

Both arms straighten to the fron. At the same time breath out through curled lips.

6) Liu Shi Si Gua [64 trigrams]

Step 1: The straightened arms are now spread out to the sides of the body at should height with palms facing up. Stretch all the limbs including the toes, fingers, arms, legs and breath in.

Step 2: The toes grab the ground and the "bubbling spring" point is lifted up. The fingers of each hand slowly bend at each joint until forming a fist. Close [hold] the breath.

7) Ba Gua [8 trigrams]

Step 1: return the arms to the sides of the shoulders

Step 2: hold the breath.

8) Si xiang [4 images]

Step 1: move the fists together at the chin.

Step 2: continue holding the breath.

9) Liang Yi [two ideas]

Step 1 use force to press the fists together

Step 2: swallow the breath

Step 3: Both fists become palms and the fingers hand naturally and relaxed.

10) Tai Ji [extreme polarity]

Step 1: The body relaxes and the hands return to the zhong gong point.

Step 2: breath out through the mouth.

11) Hun Yuan Posture

Step 1: Both arms are lowere to the side of the body.

Step 2: remove all thoughts, empty the mind.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I learned this as part of a warm-up exercise the very first day I started with Tony Yang. However, no detailed explanation was given. Later I was given the small pamphlet written by Liu [or his students] and a friend translated this for me.

One other thing is that you face the sun [sun rise] or the East in the morning when doing this and face the sun [sunset] the West in the evening.

Although I was not told directly to do this in the sunshine itself, I now do it that way.

If you go back to link above, you can find some of the diagrams in the Part II Baji article we wrote.

Later.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Baji Qi Gong Translation Liu Yun Qiao

Postby twocircles on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Very cool!

I learned these some time ago, but the details had become dim in my memory.

Thanks a lot.

rj
twocircles
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan