fa jin vs fa jing

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: fa jin vs fa jing

Postby onyomi on Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 am

The Beijing pronunciation is more like fa-jir, i think. The character definitely can be pronounced jing4 or jin4, though as people said, for Chinese southerners these two sound basically the same. Definitely not to be confused with jing1 (essences).
onyomi
Mingjing

Postby Little Bai on Fri May 16, 2008 11:51 am

Southerners indeed do not differentiate between jin and jing, but in correct putonghua, the pronunciation is jin. (Northern) Chinese phonetics developed over time, and jin and jing are two different syllabyles. If you want to be phonetically correct, go with jin. If you don't care, either one's fine.
Little Bai
Mingjing

Postby bailewen on Sun May 18, 2008 5:48 am

Shit. Wuyizidi beat me to it.

This issue was confusing as hell for me too because in Xi'an they use the retroflex "r" a lot as well. Not as much as Beijingers but most all -in and -ing endings end up being pronounced -ir.

It's written like Wuyizidi said but actually, two characters like "jin-er" as described above, are pronounced in a singel syllable: jinr or just jir. (sounds like "jeer")

cdobe wrote:I'm convinced that in standard Pinyin, Jin and Jing are not interchangeable.
When you want to say 'issue power' you say 'Fa1 Jin4' 发劲. Most people around here write 'Fa Jing', but I consistently spelled it the way that I think is correct. My theory was, that people thought about 'to issue energy' 'Fa1 Jing1' 发精. But 'Fa Jin' is a Taiji synonym to 'Fa1 Li4' 发力.

CD

My Shifu uses fa jin and fa li somewhat interchangeably but the general rule is that "fa li" is what almost everbody here on emptyflower (almost, not all) refer to as "fa jin" but "fa jin" as Shifu uses it, can also refer to a very subtle tiny little push or pull. Anytime you express a jin, however small and subtle, it is still "fa jin". Fa li usually just means to explode or to use heavy force.
Last edited by bailewen on Sun May 18, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun May 18, 2008 12:27 pm

as I understand it's usage in the arts I've studied from taiwan, we use fa jin for all of it. the subtle jin experssion, and the big explosions both.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon May 19, 2008 5:34 am

My teacher uses english.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan