Opinions about the "Classical Tai Chi" school?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Opinions about the "Classical Tai Chi" school?

Postby cdobe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:37 pm

GrahamB wrote:Hi,

On a related note - I really like those old pictures of Wu Chien Chuan, there's just something very good about them - he's got a great posture, mental focus, and seems to have deep twists and spirals going on in his body. I've been trying to find a video of somebody on YouTube doing the Wu form that embodies these principles..... and so far completely failed. Nobody else seems to have that deep spirally look to them in their forms...

Is this just because:

a) He was just really, really very good, and nobody else is quite as good at Wu.

b) Nobody wants to put the good stuff on video.

c) I've just not been looking in the right places.

d) He just looks better because they are still photos.

?

May I remind you, that you miss the opportunities when you have them ;)

And stop watching clips on the internet and move to China... :P

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:36 am

AH, I am sorry great master, hopefully one day you will forgive me and let me back into the temple to train.... ;D

Either that or you should try to visit somewhere that isn't in the middle of nowhere and has a train station! ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:44 am

Ok, here's a question for you Mr Sung Tree-Hugger Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat:

In the photos of Wu Chien Chuan, he turns to the left before he turns to the right at the beginning of the form.

http://www.thebigqi.com/wu%20jian%20quan.html

Why is it that all the videos of Wu forms don't have this left turn in?

e.g.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YV1IQX75U

Is it because he's doing the "long form" and the ones online are shorter versions? Or is that a different view of a posture that isn't done to the left? Ah ok, I think I just answered my own question... ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:10 am

That's because it's a side view, Mr. Little Britain Energy Twin.

GrahamB wrote:Ok, here's a question for you Mr Sung Tree-Hugger Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat:

In the photos of Wu Chien Chuan, he turns to the left before he turns to the right at the beginning of the form.

http://www.thebigqi.com/wu%20jian%20quan.html

Why is it that all the videos of Wu forms don't have this left turn in?

e.g.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YV1IQX75U

Is it because he's doing the "long form" and the ones online are shorter versions? Or is that a different view of a posture that isn't done to the left? Ah ok, I think I just answered my own question... ;D
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mtltaichi on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 pm

I started learning the Classical Tai Chi form back in January from the DVDs and visited Master Hwa for a seminar in conjunction with his birthday banquet at the end of June. A very dedicated and generous teacher and a real gentleman in my opinion. And he has some very cool things to teach! By the way, the DVDs are by far the best I have ever seen for learning a martial arts form on your own and are supported by a Yahoo forum, news letters and posted videos on YouTube.

I have been doing large frame Wu for 18 years (my teacher, Irving Leong, learned from Cheng Tin Hung in the early 60s). One of Master Hwa’s other students was a senior student of Eddie Wu in Toronto. Just to say that his students are familiar with the commonly recognised large frame Wu style. I do not/cannot speak on Master Hwa’s behalf but I’m happy to post my impressions.

What Master Hwa teaches is small frame Wu. The movements and sequences are very similar to large frame but the details are quite different. Firstly, he teaches a square form. In the square form (I have not learned this) the feet are parallel and the step size is very small (heel to toe distance). There are quite specific instructions relating to how muscles in the waist area are used to lift and pull with the feet. The upper body and hand movements are broken down into many precise steps and there is a focus on moving one specific part of the body while keeping everything else very still.

In addition he teaches a round, small frame form (the DVDs focus on this). The lower body movements are the same as the square form (with the same internal details) but the upper body and hand movements are smooth and continuous. And the use of internal muscles for moving the upper body and hands is added.

The best thing about Master Hwa’s approach to teaching, in my opinion, is its clarity and step by step approach. There are no mysteries or secrets, just methodical, cumulative steps. And for each step, he has developed a way to demonstrate it and often an exercise to help speed up progress.

A lot of the principles and steps are very applicable to large frame Wu and so have helped invigorate my practice of it as well.
mtltaichi
Santi

Postby Samoobramba on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks for your comments. :-) He has few DVDs. Which do you recommend I am not interested in the form? How many principles (drills and exercises) are included in his form instructional DVD (that go beyond the form instruction)? What do you recommend if I am not interested in the Wu style? Would be in this case his form instructional DVD interesting for me?
Samoobramba
Santi

Postby mtltaichi on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Not sure how to advise you Samoobramba. The DVDs teach the form and the techniques, principles and exercises are mostly given within the context of the form. Guess it all depends on what your expectations are and how you learn.

Perhaps you want to start with the Tai Chi Overview (Vol. 1) first. It provides a general overview of the material and internal discipline stuff with some preliminary (and representative) teaching material. Details at http://www.classicaltaichi.com/taichi-v ... tents.html. This first DVD is not a big investment ($, time) and yet is quite comprehensive (almost 2 hours of material from memory).
mtltaichi
Santi

Postby CaliG on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 pm

I think you need to rename this thread "Wu Classical Taiji school" if you're looking for feedback from Wu stylists.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan