teaching bagua with health in mind

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: teaching bagua with health in mind

Postby Wudangshan on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm

ok well I agree with the above, for MY training. But not for all. But unless you train 6 hours a day 6 days a week, then you are only taking your martial art so far. Ive seen 8 year olds with no academic studies whatsoever out train most people.. Most people....if you have a job and are a responsible tax payer, dont have this time though. Most people can usually only study one aspect of an art. sorry, even an hour a day is cuttin it short. Me personally say, yes, of course study an art to its fullest. But even if you start small and find it interesting, you will naturally want to move forth. People dont study Tai chi just for either martial or health. Typically its one or the other. and Im speaking the "general public" who study. And if they have the right teacher, he will teach them the balancing side of that art regardless. But as a guide (not just a teacher) should not sway people from wanting to learn anything that you can provide. Encourage them to learn what they want, and give them what they need. Now I hear an argue with this too, not to overthink this but, yes, some will say you will have a bunch of people that half ass the art. But if you learn properly in your art anyway, you would know it is better to do something simple, flawlessly and effortlessly, then to know an entire art half assed. Im not trying to be rude or cut anyone down, really, my intentions are purely for arguements sake and really want to konw peoples opinion.
Wudangshan
Santi

Postby Bhassler on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:33 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Help people as best you can. Be clear about what you can and can't help them with. Don't be a dick to them. Etc.

Not much more to it. If you know some stuff why not teach it to others? As long as you aren't misrepresenting it or yourself, it's a good thing to help people.

Probably very few of us consider ourselves masters, worthy to pass on great lineages. But teaching the basics as you were taught is a good thing for most of us to do. It's a learning experience and lots of fun to see someone get excited about these new and interesting ways of movement.

-Jess O

Agreed. As for what constitutes health, I would define it as the ability to do what you want to do. So why not ask the student what they think it means to be healthy and go from there? It's much easier to teach to an intent when you have concrete goals in mind.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Help people as best you can. Be clear about what you can and can't help them with. Don't be a dick to them. Etc.

Not much more to it. If you know some stuff why not teach it to others? As long as you aren't misrepresenting it or yourself, it's a good thing to help people.

Probably very few of us consider ourselves masters, worthy to pass on great lineages. But teaching the basics as you were taught is a good thing for most of us to do. It's a learning experience and lots of fun to see someone get excited about these new and interesting ways of movement.

-Jess O

Great post Jess, well said.
Last edited by chud on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Mix,

Is your training motto "semper fudge"?

I'm sorry, I kid, I kid. :D
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Mix,

Remember to charge extra $$$s if somebody wants to bring their energy twin. That's my advice - no discount for energy twins. I've been burned before. It wasn't pretty....

;D

G
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:55 am

GrahamB wrote:Mix,

Remember to charge extra $$$s if somebody wants to bring their energy twin. That's my advice - no discount for energy twins. I've been burned before. It wasn't pretty....

;D

G

Some of the comments in here a pure gold.

Semper fudge.... ;D

Jess, that was incredibly eloquent and well put.
Figure four, I like what you said too.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 am

If they are in your area, why not just direct them to Yang Hai?
Fubo
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:47 am

I would, but my area is not Yang Hai's area. He lives in Montreal and I live near Toronto (about 7 hours from MTL by car).
I just go visit Mr.Yang for a few weeks at a time when I have holidays (and money :P ).
Besides, Mr.Yang's classes are much more hardcore martially oriented than my own (Ie: we throw each other around pretty hard. Good fun!).
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 am

"bagua for emotional understanding"??

tell him to get a dog!
Ian

Postby baguamen22 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:38 am

Ian wrote:"bagua for emotional understanding"??

tell him to get a dog!

I lol'd. :D
baguamen22
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan