Shanxi xingyiquan - Wang Deming?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Shanxi xingyiquan - Wang Deming?

Postby shenme on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Does anyone know anything about Wang Deming (Beijing) http://www.wangdeming.com/index.html

From his website it says he trains/teaches Shanxi xingyiquan (lineage - Wang Ji Wu > Pan Zhi Yuan > Wang Deming) but he also has multiple other styles he claims mastery of too and that tends to set of all sort of alarms for me.
Last edited by shenme on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Re: Shanxi xingyiquan - Wang Deming?

Postby edededed on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:19 pm

I have seen his name in lists of Sun Zhijun's disciples.

His taijiquan seems to be the Beijing lineage of Yang Chengfu -> Cui Yishi -> Liu Gaoming, although he does seem a bit young perhaps?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:23 am

It says he was born in 55, so that shouldn't be too young, I would think.
I thought my teacher seemed young when I saw his photo, then I met him and he kicked my ass, then I was sold. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:49 am

I meant, I learned a bit of taijiquan from a disciple of Liu Gaoming a long time ago; he is rather young compared to her, but maybe she was just old :p
edededed
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:21 am

woops.

My bad. :-\
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby shenme on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks but does he actually know Shanxi Xingyi or is it just forms or the Modern Wushu stuff?

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby JoseFreitas on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:05 am

I have a bunch of his videos.

His Bagua seems to be bona fide Cheng style from Sun Zhijun's lineage, since he appears together with him on some VCDs. I didn't particularly like them, but I obviously will stop short of saying they were bad; they were OK.

His Xingyi seems good. I liked his forms, but didn't see any usage. Don't remember if his series has tow-person sets. One thing it has, which I liked, was a bunch of short specialized forms, for instance a really neat short set with lots of elbow strikes. But I really hated one thing: his videos were from that company that did Sun Zhijun's first video sets, they boldly speed up a lot of the forms so you think that the guys is going really fast! Grrrr! But his forms were good and his instructions clear. He seems to have a little wushu style in there, probably because he was on the competition scene, but not too much.

For what it's worth....
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby edededed on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:43 pm

It's always kind of obvious when someone jumps and lands really quickly :P
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 pm

shenme wrote:Thanks but does he actually know Shanxi Xingyi or is it just forms or the Modern Wushu stuff?

Wang Jiwu was a Hebei Branch teacher from Liu Qilan's lineage. He worked as a bodyguard for a while (which is a good sign, IMO..working as a bodyguard in a route will give you experience fighting thieves, when there was action). He moved to Shanxi later in his life, and established his school there. It's not Wushu.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby shenme on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:
shenme wrote:Thanks but does he actually know Shanxi Xingyi or is it just forms or the Modern Wushu stuff?

Wang Jiwu was a Hebei Branch teacher from Liu Qilan's lineage. He worked as a bodyguard for a while (which is a good sign, IMO..working as a bodyguard in a route will give you experience fighting thieves, when there was action). He moved to Shanxi later in his life, and established his school there. It's not Wushu.

Thank You

I am kind of looking for someone to train with when I am in Beijing and I came across Wang Deming by accident. Generally when I am in China I am hanging out with the in-laws, shopping and looking at the touristy stuff… and of course eating :)

I am pretty much a newb to Hebei style here and the Bodyguard part I take as a good sign.

Again Thanks

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan