TST History question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

TST History question

Postby RickMatz on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 am

When Xu Hongji formed the Shen Lung Tang Shou Tao, did he actually make any technical changes to the original TST material, or did he simply want to be independent?
Last edited by RickMatz on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickMatz
Huajing

Re: TST History question

Postby JessOBrien on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

From what I heard Xu Hong Ji had other teachers besides Hong Yi Xiang and he added some new forms and conditioning exercises to the system.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:47 pm

I read that XHJ was also into Boxing... Don't know if he continued after training with Hong.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:58 am

He wanted to be independent. As he told me once, Chinese all want to be the General, not the soldier.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Bill wrote:He wanted to be independent. As he told me once, Chinese all want to be the General, not the soldier.

100%+
All want to be boss, not emplyee!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Hsu was a "blood brother" and best friend of my classmate Li Tsonghsiung at the Yizong School under Master Zhang. Li told me that Hsu had some very significant differences of opinion regarding the practice and application of the curriculum - he had learned from other teachers before Hong Yixiang, and afterwards as well.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Cool history!
The martial arts world of Taiwan sounds like it has many cross connections between teachers, friends and lineages.
99% of the story is untold, but it's always fun to hear new things about it.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Ken

In this context what does 'blood brother' signify? Best buds or something closer?

Hsu was always on the lookout for something unique. He told a story once of him being in a park and while watching a man cross the park he noticed that each time the guy put down his foot, the sidewalk would crack underneath. Hsu said he ran up to the guy and tried to find out more info but the man would not talk to him.

When he was a young man he learned boxing and in school, under Japanese rule, all boys had to take judo and learn to speak Japanese. He said when he learned judo there was no weight classes. Big, small, didnt matter.
Last edited by Bill on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Hsu and Li's families were close, and at some point they became "jiebai xiongdi" - "Sworn Brothers" -a relationship that is taken quite seriously in China and Taiwan (it usually is done in a local temple, or at least in front of an altar). Hsu was about 10 years older than Li, and Li always referred to him as "ge" (brother).

I also heard the story Bill relates about Hsu seeing a man of mystery in the park- but I've heard the same story related about other teachers as well, and also told by other teachers - it seems (IMO) a popular "tall tale".
Last edited by kenneth fish on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Ha ha... Maybe they were all talking about the same guy? :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:55 am

I was approached once by a very old man at CKS Mem Hall who seemed to have an old version of tai chi, very organic and similar to some of the better stuff I've seen at 228. His main emphasis to me was to do everything slow. It was one of those really strange encounters that you might even doubt actually happened later if you don't mention it to someone. I did film myself doing tai chi, the forces of Taiwan were strong that day apparently.

There is definitely something special in Taiwan, at least from where I see it, and yet it is so random I ended up here. I never would have predicted I'd be here, and who I am now compared to who I was 5 years ago, and who I thought I was trying to be...well as they say you have to experience Taiwan to understand what it's all about.

A funny thing is that I met another guy who studied Gao bagua, graduated from the university where I grew up, and is now into eclectic MA or whatever is happening now, and something interesting is a brewin'...

...we should make Taipei a place for an annual RSF blowout training, bbq, meetup, fight club, thing. Yes, I can see it now...
Last edited by kreese on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 am

kreese wrote:...we should make Taipei a place for an annual RSF blowout training, bbq, meetup, fight club, thing. Yes, I can see it now...

That would SOOOO rock! ;D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 am

kenneth fish wrote:Hsu and Li's families were close, and at some point they became "jiebai xiongdi" - "Sworn Brothers" -a relationship that is taken quite seriously in China and Taiwan (it usually is done in a local temple, or at least in front of an altar)...

...or sometimes a peach orchard will do . . .
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 am

That guy in the park would have been easy to follow home.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 am

In 1975 hsu took us to the airport to greet a group of Bak Mei guys from HK
They were going to fight in a tournament in the south of Taiwan
I was told that hsu had gone to hk to train after his split with Hung
The story was he ended up as the senior student there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji