Tai Chi for health

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Tai Chi for health

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 am

For the science mind: It just occured to me that what are traditionally 'Yin' tonifying foods, the majority of them contain the highest natural sources of hyaluronic acid. Look it up.

My story is the story of a raging Christ figure who tore himself off the cross and with blood in eyes looked up at the Romans and said “My turn cocksuckers.”

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 am

TCM is full of stuff that is being discovered after the fact. It really has nothing to do with believing in it or not, actually. Not any more than believing in your doctor no matter what his paradigm. As with martial arts, as long as we pay more attention to the results than the process we will stay on course.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Ian wrote:
I don't do CMAs and I don't believe in TCM, though.

We don't always train to exhaustion, but its useful to do so from time to time. Have you ever tried it?

Well you don't have to believe in what the chinese say about training to exhaustion but would you believe what former spetznaz coach Pavel Tsatsouline says about it?

If you haven't read his books you should check out http://www.amazon.com/Naked-Warrior-Pav ... 0938045555 for starters.

My story is the story of a raging Christ figure who tore himself off the cross and with blood in eyes looked up at the Romans and said “My turn cocksuckers.”

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:15 pm

I don't know what Pavel says about training to exhaustion, but why do SEALs get put through hell week?

I don't have what it takes to train to to exhaustion all the time. I do, however, think occasional forays into unfamiliar/uncomfortable territory is a great idea.
Ian

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:10 am

Ian wrote:I don't know what Pavel says about training to exhaustion, but why do SEALs get put through hell week?

I don't have what it takes to train to to exhaustion all the time. I do, however, think occasional forays into unfamiliar/uncomfortable territory is a great idea.

Well, he's against it. (aren't you into systema? I can't believe you haven't read his stuff.)

Hell week: to see who hasn't used up all their 'yin' prior to hell week. Yin is the cortisol hormones of the body, the hormones that allow one to deal with and endure longterm stress. Women naturally have an abundance of yin hormones like cortisol as they have to endure childbirth and the rearing of children. It's no surprise that the men with 'yin' body types make it through hell week while the larger 'yang' types fail.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:38 am

Thanks for the info. I haven't read ALL of Pavels books, but I'll get around to them.

I have a different interpretation of training to exhaustion.

You go through intense training, you develop mental toughness. "I've been through x, so I can get through this."

You also learn exactly how to relax, breathe effectively, move efficiently etc. Our last class was like this and everyone was striking a lot harder by the end.

You also learn the importance of soft work.

Yes I'm into systema and sometimes we train until we're very tired.

Like my swim coach told me though, after you've run a marathon, you've only used up around 5% of your body's energy reserves. Your body can take it; can your mind? "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree." I could go on :) (I had a sadistic swim coach :D)

It's very simple in my mind. By training to exhaustion, I'm less likely to give up when the going gets tough. I believe a lot of good fighters developed this attitude.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan