Relaxation: Who really trusts it?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Relaxation: Who really trusts it?

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:17 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:limp noodle is pretty definitionally a violation of proper structure. You can be relaxed and use correct form at the same time, but limp noodle implies you move whereever moved, etc.

IME, relaxation is a matter of good structure, that is maintained through relaxation and tension at juuust the right places.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Bodywork wrote:Which is...exactly...why noodling will not help. Anyone with any level of knowledge will folllow a noodler into his body. Noodling is a badge...of a lack of understanding.
the same energy to noodle is the same evergy to cause change in their incoming force, in the same time frame. Noddling against a a low level guy willl maybe create a pause. Against a good player it will get you owned.
Ya know the inverse of all of this is the total equation.
Noodling to incoming or pulling force...does crap with a more experienced player.
So adding to it or changing the force of a better player wth it...does crap.
So for me ...noodling-is- crap.

IMO since ther energy is the same, the time frames are the same, then moving in any manner without connection is pretty much a waste of time and opportunity.

If you are a total noodle, empty without control, I do agree. But you can empty your arms and still keep control of your center. A good player, like my teacher, you can not follow him, he will not be owned, just continue to lead you into emptiness. And at the same time, he will follow your structure and flow in like water. He will feel like a noodle and appear totally limp, yet he remains excellent control. . . . I guess this is what italians call "al dente". ;)
Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 pm

I would never call taking power out of my arms, or keading someone into a hole...noodling. Those I have met who "noodle" or who are noodles had a very limited idea of connection.
Since by you describe your teacher as having it-I wonder if he would consider leading...noodling? Maybe we're just discussing semantics.
Bodywork

Postby H2O_Dragon on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Bodywork wrote:I would never call taking power out of my arms, or keading someone into a hole...noodling.

That's funny, cause that's exactly what I've been trying to describe to you as noodling.
H2O_Dragon

Postby Bodywork on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 am

Hey, I keep allowing for semantics, but I'm not reading much substance in a response.
I've just never heard or seen someone championing "noodling." Noodling was always a sign of low level skill.
Having empty arms because you have no ability to connect to them-so you hide your center from attack through lazy arms - is quite different then having a seriously connected body and leading into holes with thoroughly connected bodywork. The quickness of change, from leading to a direction is fast BECAUSE of a connected limbs-to-body use of the arms. Inversely the hole has less substance or potential to fall into because the noodler is only "letting" the push of the opponent die away. No one worth his salt is going to lose his balance from pushing. You don't need to. Their weight transfer or emanating never goes past their balance point. So by and large, and at best...it's all low level defense. Connectedness lets the arm that's leading become a pull or a direction change because it never lacked connection. Further the leading empty side is supported by the positive side. so again the body remains in balance; positive and negative. It's never empty.
That said there are a lot or people who get messed up with their notions of connectedness and arm and shoulder involvement' from stiff arm judo and jujutsu (who call it strong) to noodling players who call -that- soft. Since neither demonstrate what we should all be seeking move from the center, control of the center, and change - both people are easy to blow through and own.
Bodywork

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:33 am

Wow I've missed so much of this thread, but i'd have to say I trust relaxation implicitly. Through relaxation, or the steadfast clinging to this ideology, I have fostered skills of striking power and speed of motion that I sincerely doubt I would have found otherwise.

The trick is, how to maintain relaxation with all the other requirements of getting the job done.

In terms of keeping the mind relaxed and focused, well only man hours and experience can help there. When speaking of body mechanics, repetition and circular motion are always helpful.

However, operating from the centre seems to be of the upmost importence in maintaining a balance between strength and softness (well at least in this moment in time ;) )
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 am

Bodywork wrote:Hey, I keep allowing for semantics, but I'm not reading much substance in a response.

That's cause Im too lazy to type a long response. But for someone who's allowing room for semantics, you sure are hung up on a Word. Just for the record, the only place I've seen the word 'noodling' used is on this forum. It's not a term I learned from my teachers.

I'm not sure where this lecture on 'connection' comes from, as I've never even mentioned it. But yeah, you always maintain connection, and yeah, you still maintain a connection when you 'hide your center', which is the term I was taught. So I hope you're not trying to spin what I'm saying is giving up root or breaking connection, cause that's not the case.
H2O_Dragon

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:42 am

I do think there is a problem with semantics here. People have different names for different things. Some people will call "noodeling" a loss or bad understaning of shen fa. Some people will say that it is a seemingly collapsing of structure, not totally but partially, and that it is a most practical method in certain situations. If the word is a problem, then let us put away the word and discuss useful methods instead.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 am

I concur.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby WILLIE on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 am

Bodywork wrote:Hey, I keep allowing for semantics, but I'm not reading much substance in a response.
I've just never heard or seen someone championing "noodling." Noodling was always a sign of low level skill.
Having empty arms because you have no ability to connect to them-so you hide your center from attack through lazy arms - is quite different then having a seriously connected body and leading into holes with thoroughly connected bodywork. The quickness of change, from leading to a direction is fast BECAUSE of a connected limbs-to-body use of the arms. Inversely the hole has less substance or potential to fall into because the noodler is only "letting" the push of the opponent die away. No one worth his salt is going to lose his balance from pushing. You don't need to. Their weight transfer or emanating never goes past their balance point. So by and large, and at best...it's all low level defense. Connectedness lets the arm that's leading become a pull or a direction change because it never lacked connection. Further the leading empty side is supported by the positive side. so again the body remains in balance; positive and negative. It's never empty.
That said there are a lot or people who get messed up with their notions of connectedness and arm and shoulder involvement' from stiff arm judo and jujutsu (who call it strong) to noodling players who call -that- soft. Since neither demonstrate what we should all be seeking move from the center, control of the center, and change - both people are easy to blow through and own.

interesting
cheers
Last edited by WILLIE on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WILLIE

Postby somatai on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:57 am

rock on WILLIE!
Last edited by somatai on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
somatai

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:06 am

S- kicks back and cracks yet another beer.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby WILLIE on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:26 am

shawnsegler wrote:S- kicks back and cracks yet another beer.

i got surprizes for that big boy,problem is he's real good and got 70lbs on me.

no joking now that guys real good! i met him once.

everything he says is just about right,but he has never seen the other side by someone who's good at it.

really, you could feel that guys intent from several feet away,scary stuff! no joking!

cheers
WILLIE

Postby Interloper on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 am

Willie,
There are much smaller people who can do the same thing as "big guys." True, body mass helps, but I've seen people with much less weight on them toss 300 lb. bruisers with ease. It ain't all about size.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:35 pm

"Noodling" is like a "sickness" in the same way that double weightedness or lack of differentiation between yin and yang. It's sort of the push hands equivalent of swinging wildly. It can work on a lesser skilled player because it's kind of random and unpredictable and is at least better than freezing up. It's a kind of "throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks" way of attempting to neutralize a push.

By way of comparison, one of the differences between a master chess player and a random amateur is that the master never makes a move that does not accomplish something. There are no wasted moves. In push hands it is the same. There should be no motion that does not accomplish something. Shifu has been on my case particularly over this issue recently. He pushes, I noodle, he adjusts and points out that, "Wow...that was like, 2 whole changes to neutralize my one single change." ie. It's really really slow. Noodling is flailing about for an answer to the "question" posed by the incoming jin. If you really understood the jin, there would be no need to noodle. You would just change once rather than a whole series of times.

That's my take on "noodling".
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan