Bodytype

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bodytype

Postby C-Hopkins on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Here's a question for you guys-

How do you know what system fits your body type?

Are different people better suited for certain styles given height/weight/build, etc?
Last edited by C-Hopkins on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Re: Bodytype

Postby FigureFour on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 pm

i dont believe i qualify as a 'mega-experienced' member but...

im willing to bet that if you look at most systems youll find that theyve had skilled players of varying body types. chinese systems tend to have a pretty large body of material. probably its better to get a skilled teacher and then ask yourself the question 'what aspects of the system that i practice work best with my body type?'
FigureFour
Santi

Postby David Boxen on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:52 pm

All I know is that long-arm techniques and lots of grabbing have never worked well for someone like me with stubby arms and fingers. I looked to learn bagua b/c I figured it suited someone who wants to keep moving and get in close.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby H2O_Dragon on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:57 pm

It's not so much that any system is suited to any specific body type. In any martial art, you'll tend to gravitate toward certain techniques or concepts more than others. This is based on a combination of body type, personality, ability, and just plain old personal preference. The whole point is to make the art useable for you.
H2O_Dragon

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:05 am

My teacher explained this to me once. He said that guys with long lean bodies and long arms should do bagua because it is so extended and gives them greater reach. He said small compact guys should do xingyi because it allows them to build more power and gives them the ability to go up the centre with greater ease. He said people with strong hips should do Chen taiji, since the kua is emphasized so much (but maybe I'm misinterpreting that. I don't know much about taiji). :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:45 am

Whatever system feels the best.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby C-Hopkins on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 am

mixjourneyman wrote:My teacher explained this to me once. He said that guys with long lean bodies and long arms should do bagua because it is so extended and gives them greater reach. He said small compact guys should do xingyi because it allows them to build more power and gives them the ability to go up the centre with greater ease. He said people with strong hips should do Chen taiji, since the kua is emphasized so much (but maybe I'm misinterpreting that. I don't know much about taiji). :)

This is interesting Mix. This is why I asked-

Specifically, Shuai Jiao teaches that certain body types work best for that system as well (Master Wang has displayed the charechters several times before)-

So I figured, maybe other systems have a simlar perspective...

In the Tongbei combat thread on .net, someone relays a story about Strider Clark and how when he went to Beijing, when they saw him, they said he was "born to do Tongbei" because of his height and long arms.

I'd love to hear what other Masters have said regarding these and any other systems.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby redmund2905 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:09 am

mixjourneyman wrote:My teacher explained this to me once. He said that guys with long lean bodies and long arms should do bagua because it is so extended and gives them greater reach. He said small compact guys should do xingyi because it allows them to build more power and gives them the ability to go up the centre with greater ease. He said people with strong hips should do Chen taiji, since the kua is emphasized so much (but maybe I'm misinterpreting that. I don't know much about taiji). :)

Interesting comment as to xingyi -- I would've thought that bigger guys would be more of the archetype. Not sure how much detail your teacher went into, but did he expound on what art he believed larger, mesomorph types should do (or were better suited for)?
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby Swede on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:12 am

One theory--just theory, so take it with a grain of salt--that I have heard about the different styles of taiji was that each new style was created both out of the experience of the founder and to match his body type. For example, Yang Cheng Fu would have a harder time doing Chen style movements because he was a big guy--so when he standardized Yang style's movements, he made them smaller spirals, less "wiggly" because that suited his body. It isn't about better or worse, it is about how the big guy didn't need as much wiggling around or as big of spirals to get the job done. Wu style, however, had to change again because Wu Jian Qian wasn't build like Yang was, so he put (for example) more lean into diagonal flying because he needed to get the contact point in a bit closer to his shoulder to get the same effect.

I'm not saying to totally believe this theory because to be honest I never really put forth the work to gather evidence to support or refute it. It kinda makes sense though, but again, I don't know enough to say good or not good. I'd be curious to hear more knowledgable folks' reaction.
Swede
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:41 am

redmund2905 wrote:

Interesting comment as to xingyi -- I would've thought that bigger guys would be more of the archetype. Not sure how much detail your teacher went into, but did he expound on what art he believed larger, mesomorph types should do (or were better suited for)?

Basically, the reason why stocky little guys should do xingyi is because their bodies are suitable to generating maximum force from the type of training that xingyi has. They have much more body mass in a much more isolated area and can learn to really throw it around. I think it also has to do with being able to move inside the centre line without going over top of it (though thats just my own idea). I think the reason why MrYang wanted me to learn xingyi is because I'm a fat bastard and needed some cardio ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am

Wu Jianquan didn't learn from Yang Chengfu, so this part of the theory isn't really convincing.

Swede wrote:One theory--just theory, so take it with a grain of salt--that I have heard about the different styles of taiji was that each new style was created both out of the experience of the founder and to match his body type. For example, Yang Cheng Fu would have a harder time doing Chen style movements because he was a big guy--so when he standardized Yang style's movements, he made them smaller spirals, less "wiggly" because that suited his body. It isn't about better or worse, it is about how the big guy didn't need as much wiggling around or as big of spirals to get the job done. Wu style, however, had to change again because Wu Jian Qian wasn't build like Yang was, so he put (for example) more lean into diagonal flying because he needed to get the contact point in a bit closer to his shoulder to get the same effect.

I'm not saying to totally believe this theory because to be honest I never really put forth the work to gather evidence to support or refute it. It kinda makes sense though, but again, I don't know enough to say good or not good. I'd be curious to hear more knowledgable folks' reaction.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 am

nice Mix. Xingi has also done well by me I think for the same reason.

Any other systems? Baji,Pigua,Dai Xinyi,Etc.?

What about hard styles?
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby ParryPerson on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 am

I always wondered about this. If certain styles lend themselves more to different body types. I'm sure any body type can do any style, but I had wondered.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 am

I believe that each traditional CMA system has something to offer to everybody regardless of his or her body type.

It might be true that Bagua is good for tall, lanky poeple with long arms and that Xingyi for those that are short and stocky, but let's not forget that are also strategies and techniques in those arts that'd work well vice versa.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

MMA with IMA. You choose the MMA foundation that suits you; IMA is the engine that drives it.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan