xylh

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

xylh

Postby somatai on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:57 pm

http://abledo.com/tendon%20power.htm

poached this from .net anyone have any experience with this chap?
somatai

Re: xylh

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:12 pm

This chap who goes by the nickname "Da Xia" (Grand Cavalier) stirred up a lot of internet trash talk among XYLH stylists in China, especially those from Shanghai about 4,5 years ago. He writes many articles glorifying the superior skill of his XYLH teacher, and touts him as the "only heir" of true XYLH from Shanghai.

Several years ago he started a long distance learning program, which allows people to purchase instructional DVDs and practice on their own at home.

From reading his Chinese articles, I feel that his teacher might indeed have something special.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Actually, this is something we have been talking about for years here, though in some greater or lesser intensity as time passes. An interesting aside is for example, the fact that a kangaroos jumping power is tied to its tendon's rather than its muscles. the muscles initiate the movement, and when the Kangaroo lands they control the impact, then relax, and transfer the force of the landing to the tendon, which then sends them flying.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Right! Only XYLH develops and employs 'tendon power'. :o I think not. ::)

The intrinsic energy potential and core power potential of every true Internal Art, IMO, is expressed in every movement and technique as an elastic and flexible strength which emanates from the joints and tendons of the body. It generates a 'coiled spring' kind of strength which is often traditionally compared to that of an archery bowstring. As such, when the joints and tendons are properly stretched, while the limbs remain relaxed, and curved like an archer's bow, a recoil power is developed that can repel whatever it comes into contact with. 8-)

In application, the attacker's experience is much like sprinting at a fast speed in the darkness of night and then suddenly running into a clothesline or a thick wire securely stretched between two posts, or like a quickly rolling marble suddenly spun off to the side when contacting the rotation of a rapidly spinning top. This should be considered the norm in these arts, not the exception found only in one style or method.

Doc ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:31 pm

i linked the wrong page....my question was simply does anyone know this guy....i get tendon work is in all of it....although i would also say many say that but don't do it....so it is commonly known but not so often properly trained
somatai

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I think you linked the right page, I didn't read it as saying that only XYLH developed tendon power. And I agree most people don't train this, or don't do it properly. This is one of the reasons I hold low stance, and do the form low (with the exception of Hao, which does not lend itself to that.) If you hold low stance, it puts more stress on your tendon's and less on your musculature, and promotes tendon development.

Edit: Ah, I just re-read it, and I can see where Doc's coming from, but I don't think that was the point of your posting it.
Last edited by Muad'dib on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi All,

I been aware of Dr Zhang and his teacher, Chen Shoufu for quite some time now and I am also have heard of their grandmaster, Tie Guochen, who lived in Shanghai.

From what I have been told, Tie Guochen's teacher was not Yang Dianqin, but someone altogether. Tie Guochen's XYLHQ does not even come from Zhou Kou.

I think the articles I have read from them are fairly poor in my opinion and nothing no beginner in IMA should not be aware of, regardless of what style (Taiji, Ba Gua, Xing Yi, etc).

I cannot say what he can or can't do as I have never crossed hands with either of them, but just from looking at the postures presented, does not look so great.

JB
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan