Hand or foot first?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Hand or foot first?

Postby Brady on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 am

In your practice, do you attempt to have the hand lead the foot or the foot lead the hand? Do you train both? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two methods? When is it appropriate to use them?

I have a couple ideas/have heard a few opinions but thought it could make for interesting discussion.
Brady
Wuji

Re: Hand or foot first?

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:45 am

In our style, at first you propagate from foot to hand, then your hand "becomes" your foot, then you don't think about either.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:56 am

One principle we use is for the fist to lead the body.

Kinda like swimming freestyle.

powpowpowpowpow
Ian

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:27 am

It depends if you have to step or not. Close distance, the hand leading does not telegraph as much as the partner noticing the other body parts moving first. But when stepping, use the body's natural motion to initiate your attack therefore hiding it in the step.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:12 am

Your center and your hands are one; both move as one. And your opponent should "feel your foot" (the ground) in your hand. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:27 am

Hands and feet should move at the same time.

Part of the 6 coordinations in Jiulong Baguazhang
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:51 am

Dale Dugas wrote:Hands and feet should move at the same time.

My question is, why on earth would they not? I mean, I'm super new, and I was never taught foot or "fist" first, it's just a full movement done at once.

Why would you move one thing before the other?

I'm not saying any way is the right and only way, I'm just honestly curious as a newbie :D
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 am

Read the original post -- it wasn't (at least as I understood it) about which moves first, but which leads which.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:54 am

Dmitri wrote:Read the original post -- it wasn't (at least as I understood it) about which moves first, but which leads which.

I guess I typed wrong, I meant neither leads the other.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 am

ParryPerson wrote:
Dale Dugas wrote:Hands and feet should move at the same time.

My question is, why on earth would they not? I mean, I'm super new, and I was never taught foot or "fist" first, it's just a full movement done at once.

Why would you move one thing before the other?

I'm not saying any way is the right and only way, I'm just honestly curious as a newbie :D

One reason would be telegraphing.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:15 am

Xingyi: the dan tien and thigh's lead, the hand and the foot leave and arrive at the same time..

MMA: depends what I'm doing. Jab, the hand leaves first and the feet follow a second after (for no telegraphy purposes). Cross, the body leads the hand and legs, the body goes first the hand and feet go pretty close to each other.

Thats how it goes for my practice at least.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 am

Mix, have you considered doing your MMA more like your XY? I mean, why should the jab have any different type of mechanics/power generation than cross?

BTW that particular thing has always been "amusing" (for the lack of better word -- no disrespect implied) to me, i.e. that cross is considered (by non-IMA types) more powerful than jab. There should be no difference whatsoever between how powerful those two are, if one practices IMA.
Just MHO; others' mileage will vary as always.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:25 pm

Dmitri wrote:Mix, have you considered doing your MMA more like your XY? I mean, why should the jab have any different type of mechanics/power generation than cross?

BTW that particular thing has always been "amusing" (for the lack of better word -- no disrespect implied) to me, i.e. that cross is considered (by non-IMA types) more powerful than jab. There should be no difference whatsoever between how powerful those two are, if one practices IMA.
Just MHO; others' mileage will vary as always.

the jab is different then the cross because boxers stand a little side ways and you (generally) step forward with the jab but not with the cross.

you jab with your front hand and cross with your back. since you cross with your back hand and your facing a little side ways you can generate more power by rotating your center through the punch more. you should even turn on the ball of your back foot to allow the maxium follow through for your punch. but you would not step forward during a cross.

you can generate power with a jab too but thats more because your stepping forward with a jab and body mechanic then rotating like you do with a cross. since your jabbing with your front hand and your already turned a little side ways there less room for rotating and generating power. also jabs are used a lot as a set up or distraction or to keep someone off you as you retreat...

personally i use all the stuff i learned from yi chuan to generate power for boxing, you just have to break it down different. when i'm practicing my jab a lot of how i think about the punch is directly related to yi chuan body mechanics. especially how you use your back and coordinate your body from the feet up.

adding this link of freddie roach. notice how he addresses transfering weight between differnt punches, this reminds me of how people talk about substantial an insubstantial in some branches of tai chi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5tex84U_Y
Last edited by jpaton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:40 pm

The thing about the jab in modern boxing and mma is that its meant to be fast and not easy to see. If you put your whole body into your jab as you throw it, you will telegraph big time and the strike likely won't land.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:40 pm

I don't think you will find the idea of jab anywhere in IMA for that very reason.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan