Yin style bagua and throwing

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yin style bagua and throwing

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 am

This is something that has been on my mind somewhat recently: If you look at bagua, people usually attribute Cheng style's common use of shuai techniques to Cheng Ting Hua having been a Chinese wrestler, but I think Yin guys do a lot of throws too.
Would Yin style generally be considered as a predominantly striking based art, or is it a union of striking and throwing?
Within Cheng style I have actually been introduced to more striking than throwing, so maybe its just dependent on the teacher, but why do people always say that Cheng is for Shuai techniques and Yin is for striking?
Just interested to know what people think.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: Yin style bagua and throwing

Postby somatai on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:46 pm

yin is small circle hard hand....lots of strikes preface the throws, but there are loads of throws
somatai

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 pm

It seems to me like the Gao style guys (of Taiwan? Not sure about Tianjin or other places) seem to emphasize throwing the most.

The Beijing styles of Yin, Cheng, Liang, and Gao all seem to train striking first (but also have throwing methods).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:This is something that has been on my mind somewhat recently: If you look at bagua, people usually attribute Cheng style's common use of shuai techniques to Cheng Ting Hua having been a Chinese wrestler, but I think Yin guys do a lot of throws too.
Would Yin style generally be considered as a predominantly striking based art, or is it a union of striking and throwing?
Within Cheng style I have actually been introduced to more striking than throwing, so maybe its just dependent on the teacher, but why do people always say that Cheng is for Shuai techniques and Yin is for striking?
Just interested to know what people think.

The type of techniques a martial artist favors depends mainly upon his training background. Naturally, it'd make sense that Yin Fu, who stuided Luohan prior to Bagua, favored striking while Cheng Tin-Hua, who was a SC player, emphasized throwing techniques. However, keep in mind that in CMA, striking and grappling are often combined in one motion. A strike can be a throw, and a throw can be a strike. So when a Bagua master knocks someone down in a blink of an eye, who can say for sure whether he used a strike or a throw?

My Gao style teacher prefers moves that appear to be striking techniques, but as soon as he adds leg movements or changes body placements, the very same moves become throws and takedowns.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 am

C.J.W: yeah, Mr.Yang also likes putting legs and hands together to create "knock downs". I think that type of technique is really a hallmark of good bagua application. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan