Throwing and Multiple Attackers

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Throwing and Multiple Attackers

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:53 am

Just a thought:

How do you throw when facing multiple attackers?

IME, when you have multiple dudes trying to strike or grab you, as soon as you commit too much to one person e.g. with a two-handed grab and a leg sweep, you'll get taken down.
Ian

Re: Throwing and Multiple Attackers

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:55 am

I only have a little bit of experience drilling non compliently with multiples.
My take on it is that one of the easiest weapons to use is pushing or uprooting one guy into another guy or the group (gasp!), then running.
Taking the time to set up a throw might leave you open to the others.
Just a thought.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:08 am

When I have sparred 2 or more people in the past I have played with this some.

When sparring multiples the game is usually to keep moving and get in and out quickly while trying to keep your partners in a line. You can grab for a bit of time if you use the person you grab as a shield. Then you can set up your throw. This is risky though. A lot of times when I get a throw against multiple partners it is when I manage to separate them by a good distance or when one of them gets in a hurry and rushes in. The throw comes right off of whatever technique they did, so you might block a haymaker and go straight for a hip throw with neck surrounding. Or block a kick and sweep immediately.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Finny on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:08 am

What mix said

Strike more, throw less vs. multiples.

Shoot/tackle/shove enemies into their friends.

run
Finny
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

The funny thing is that when I discovered the shoving thing, I had just been playing with DT, AlexMTL, Amen, and I think Vlad.
I was getting ready to leave and then suddenly DT says "You can't leave so easy" or something like that and those bastards all attacked me. If memory serves me right, I went straight for Amen and pushed him at one of the other guys and ran away.
It was funny, but eventually Alex got behind me and held me while they pretended to give me the beats.
Good times. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am

Finny wrote:What mix said

Strike more, throw less vs. multiples.

Shoot/tackle/shove enemies into their friends.

run

Actually, striking can help take someone down much faster, if you affect the supporting muscles. Also, throwing them into one another helps The Cause.

PS:

Mix, good times man! ;D
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am

Not that you would throw, but more think about projecting people into other people or into or off objects that are nearby.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

BKF used to always say attack the biggest baddest Mofo there and be sure once he's down he stays down.

Growing up in LA I'd have to say he's right.

I saw a lot of fights go down where even wussiest fighter would turn into Rocky knowing he had an OG watching his back.
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby JAB on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Throw one foot in front of the other and book it!
JAB

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:07 pm

CaliG wrote:BKF used to always say attack the biggest baddest Mofo there and be sure once he's down he stays down.

Growing up in LA I'd have to say he's right.

I saw a lot of fights go down where even wussiest fighter would turn into Rocky knowing he had an OG watching his back.

Yes, I heard this advice from a lot of people (one of them being one of my school teachers). But I like even better another: if you have to hurt people, do so whoever you can touch. Because sometimes you don't have time to get to the Bad Mofo. Of course, if you can finish him first, do it, but don't seek him out. It's like Chinna: if happens, it happens but don't try to do it on purpose.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Don't train for multiples wish i did.

I have had experience of actually being attacked by muiltiple people (3) last year. Boy do you learn fast when it is for real! First guy came i stupidly grappled with then found my head being smakced about by the other two. So quickly stopped that idea and hit one guy and threw (pushed) him into a wall and went straight for the 3rd guy and hit him. Turn just in time to see the 2st guy coming at me so i could deal with him, then they're grouped and backed off. It is amazing what blind luck can do for you!

I have heard that when facing multiples it can be not as frightening as it first appears, because their attention is also split between you and their friends therefore you select one (the nearest/one who you think is going to attack first) and use him as a shield (momentarly, sp?) between you and the others. But i only read that a couple of weeks ago! :-\ in a Gozo Shioda Aikido book.
AllanF

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:56 pm

I have heard a first hand account of a senior, UK-based Japanese Judo master dealing with an entire rugby team on a cross-channel ferry (!). Our man apparenlty did exactly what Judo (and Taiji) is supposed to do: blend with incoming force and leverage it to advantage. Apparently most of the rugby boys went in hard on him and ended up on their arses.

It is easier to deal with a committed force than a non-commital one, and rugby tackles are all about commitment.

There is a difference between grappling and throwing...just as there is a difference between striking when sparring and striking when fighting.

BTW, cracking result there Kilted! Next time ensure someone films it, please.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan