High level vs. low level

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: High level vs. low level

Postby Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 7:20 pm

That's so awesome.

It's similar to how I was taught to deal with multiple attackers. Still - EXPLODE!!1 HIT EVERYONE, ASK QUESTIONS LATER omfg - run away!

Doesn't get you the ladies though :(

edit - Why were you trying to capoeira a monkey? You brute.
Last edited by Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby I-mon on Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Ian wrote:That's so awesome.

It's similar to how I was taught to deal with multiple attackers. Still - EXPLODE!!1 HIT EVERYONE, ASK QUESTIONS LATER omfg - run away!

same reason you go out to dinner with mad russians who carry automatic weapons - for fun!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue May 20, 2008 7:27 pm

That's the fight-or-flight instinct taken to High Level: Fake-Like-You're-Gonna-Fight, then Flight. ;D
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 7:58 pm

I-mon wrote:
Ian wrote:That's so awesome.

same reason you go out to dinner with mad russians who carry automatic weapons - for fun!

violence stiffies?

it's ok bro, I know where you can get help for that.

will ferrell as neil diamond: "one time I killed a drifter to get an erection." ;D
Ian

Postby 64Palms on Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm

The low should seek the high and the high should seek the low.

This is the same as a beginner who has irrational power, poor technique and "simple" power - why does he have this? Because it is all he knows, this type of power is natural to him. As martial artists we train. We train so we can develop skills that become second nature to us. Natural movements, control of fight or flight response, etc. We want to train hard so that our movement become more like the beginners - natural power, but to us. This is the old Beginner to Master back to Beginner. All we are when we are high level are beginners with a different set of experiences leading to cultivation of our natural movement and power.

I have seen in many martial arts schools and people with proficient amount of well instructed training get into alot of trouble when they encounter someone who has never had any training in their lives. The more we train the more we have to think about what we need to do. I know i am thinking about martial arts movements and techniques 24/7. The beginner, most likely, is not thinking of these things (not until they start to know a few moves) and hence their mind is naturally more empty than ours. The reason we train, i hope, is to be able to reach a different state of emptiness and as i said cultivate different natural ability. We know there is light at the end of this martial tunnel, but i think many will be surprised to find that they have just been walking in circles (excuse the pun).
64Palms
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan