How do you train?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How do you train?

Postby ParryPerson on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 am

As a beginner ...

stretches
drills
qigong
as much circle walking as my ankles will allow.

At work I'm on my feet a lot so I try and stretch the ankles/legs stand in san ti as much as possible.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Morning before office- i usually will do internal training- mostly Neijia- Yang Taichi, Pakuachang, Hsingyichuan form-work and calisthenics/qigong.

Afterwork- 3X a week: Muay thai and boxing class- teachers never teach the same class twice. good cardio and partner training.

Days not at school- (training extremely to simulate fatigue you will get in fight competitions) i have a running day, stairs/track/circuits day, weights and kettlebell day, 12 timed rounds on heavy bag.

weekends give me more time to have a good Neijia workout with friends- basic and fundamental work, partner training.
neijia_boxer

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Tonight it was:

~Punches - 10 mins.
~Kicks - 10 mins.
~Elbows & Knees - 3 mins.

~Shaolin 3 Exercises

~followed by a long-ass ground stretch

~then on to San Ti, 10 mins. each side

Finished off with about 5 minutes of standing qigong with palms facing the sky.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 pm

bigphatwong wrote:Tonight it was:

~Punches - 10 mins.
~Kicks - 10 mins.
~Elbows & Knees - 3 mins.

~Shaolin 3 Exercises

~followed by a long-ass ground stretch

~then on to San Ti, 10 mins. each side

Finished off with about 5 minutes of standing qigong with palms facing the sky.

So splain this to me... you do 10 min of punches, how do you structure that? Like one particular type of punch or multiple types and for how long each? Which comes out to about how many punches thrown?

Just curious, because heretofore I've been really bad about structuring my own practice. In fact, I suck.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 pm

zenshiite wrote:So splain this to me... you do 10 min of punches, how do you structure that? Like one particular type of punch or multiple types and for how long each? Which comes out to about how many punches thrown?

Just curious, because heretofore I've been really bad about structuring my own practice. In fact, I suck.

zenshiite,
I was just drilling the basic boxing hand tools, aiming for about 100 high-intensity reps each. Same with the kicks, etc. The goal was to get the hard physical workout in before moving on to the internal stuff. It burns off a lot of excess tension that way. :)
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:22 am

Cool. I need to stop being so damned lazy. Haha.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Lately I've been taking 10 minutes of my daily training and just focusing on one technique a week.

There are so many out there it seems like the way to go.
CaliG

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Lately I'll go to the gym first and do my weight lifting, then it's on to the park for IMA training. Later on I'll do iron palm. Some chi gong even later if there's time for it all.
Chris Fleming

Postby Silent Screaming on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:48 pm

- about an hour of standing, working on correct skeletal alignment, flexibility while in the stances (ankles, hips and back), and slow transitions for balance / correct movement, i also try and consciously contract all of the muscles individually (and feel them moving when i transition etc) (focusing on sitting and standing lately (realised the genius of the horse stance :P)

- an hour of resistance training (bodyweight (alot of fingertip pushups :'( ), squats, sit ups etc), i use my staff for wrist strengthening / movement etc, flexibility (the normal stretching i.e. hamstrings / seated forward bends etc)

- 2 - 3 hours of technique training (using (as close as pos) good movement, building more general coordination vs subtle), especially making sure i move as a single unit (dog wagging the tail vs tail wagging the dog)

- think at night :P (work on mental / emotional states, pay attention to how affecting body / everything in life, strategy etc)

------------------

- usually i adjust depending on weaknesses, or what i have periodized in terms of conditioning (i.e. at the mo, im working on rehabing my injuries as opposed to a max strength or endurance phase etc)
Last edited by Silent Screaming on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silent Screaming
Santi

Postby kiwihapgar on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Saturday and Sunday mornings Tai Chi with some 'old timers' in the park. Nothing serious just social fun and a good morning workout. About 1 hour each day. Keeps my spirit grounded:o)

Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings are unsupervised kung fu (Hop Gar) training in the corner of a friends gwoon. 1.5 hours each. Forms and basics with light weights.

Wednesday nights (2 hrs) are one on one kung fu Q & A with my Sifu and Saturdays afternoons (2 hrs) are general 'public' classes with Sifu which i help run.

Just forms and lots of two person "doi da" drills at this point. Hope to expand this to san sau next year.

Won't last forever unfortunately.....just trying to accumulate training in the 'bank' before kids and other commitments later on in life take precedent.
Last edited by kiwihapgar on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Chan
Hung Gar and Hap Gar
Wellington, New Zealand

http://nzlingnan.blogspot.com
kiwihapgar
Santi

Postby velalavela on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Kiwi hapgar! You've been holding out on us man!

That's a lot. Tuesday and Thursday as well as one on one with Sifu. That's why your Hap Gar form look good at that Chinwoo demo. Also the applications demo you did.

When I started Fut Gar. 2 hours Wednedsday and 2 hours Sunday night class with our Sifu. Then and hour or two practice with club members Saturday's: Some times sessions with our Fut Gar GM when he visisted.

Lots of basics/drills. Lots of stance work, lots of Horse stance, , Hei Gung, Dynamic tension excercises/sets, power development, grabing skills, Some Chin Na, some weapons drills and forms, two man weapons sets.

Endurance work, kicks/strikes, bag work, two man sets and two man 1, 2 and 5 step sparing. Sometimes free sparing, Technique work. A lot of basic striking and blocking, a lot of body/arm/leg conditioning as well

Multiple attacks, some with set drills sometimes free attacks, or dealing with a circle or line of attackers throwing tecniques and having to deal with that from one after the other attacker.

Basics were actually the biggest component, But we were learning contact and some sparing from the begining as well.

I also used to train with the same 'old boddies' in the morning in the park that Kiwihapgar mentions. Yang Style taiji. It's a good way to start the day and good to do your Taiji every day. Also good to see your sifus in the morning and keep in touch/pay your respects. My Fut Gar GM would almost always be there as well as my yang Style teacher.

I would try and practice at least 1 hour on days with no set training class.

Later

Monday was 1,5 hour Fut Gar, now Southern Preying Mantis/Bak Mei and Hei Gung with one of my Fut gar GM's 1st students. Some of this training is not so different from the Fut Gar club actually.

Wednesday 1 hour Push hands with My Wu Style Sifu. 1 hour Taiji Sword, then used to be 1 Hour Shaolin (not so much time now).

Friday 1 hour Shaolin basics/stretching. I try to keep this up as good for fitness etc.

Saturday 2 hours Hap Gar/Hung Gar.... basics, drills, forms and two man sets/drills with Kiwihapgar our Hap gar/Hung Gar Sifu and rest of that club.

Sunday 1.5 hour push hands practice with Wu style club and Yang Style Taiji Club and Taiji drills: Spear/Sabre, some form practice.

Try and train some forms when no training night . Wu Taiji forms in the morning or in evening, especially the long form.

Trying to maintain this, but family and work commitments have to come first these days.

regards
Last edited by velalavela on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
velalavela
Anjing

Postby Silent Screaming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 pm

jeez, seems like theres quite the nz presence on this forum :P
Silent Screaming
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 am

early mornings - some yoga,breathing and gigong
noon/or after - standing and XIC neigong set/or BGZ
midnight/ or before - breathing, qigong and siting meditation
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I usually hold stance and walk the circle. I usually only practice the first palm chance of the bagua I do. I do form, but rather than focus on X minutes, I focus on doing it perfectly (not to say that no one else is). If I am off that day, I just don't do it. If I get it for X minutes than for some reason the form breaks down, then I stop. I'd look for a pushhands partner, but I need someone in my neck of the woods who can get up and meet me at 5 am. = unlikely.

You still practicing your bagua, Zhong?
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan