Kimbo Does The Limbo!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Kimbo Does The Limbo!

Postby Kurt Robbins on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:12 pm

I highly doubt it was a thrown fight! Kimbo rushed in when he got caught; it wasn't the jab so much as Kimbo charging into the jab.
And furthermore his chin whips past the shoulder - looks like a knock out to me.
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby zenshiite on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote:The more I watch the clips the more bogus it looks to me - looking a lot more like WWE.

And speaking of professional wrestling, did you notice Terry 'Hulk' Hogan and his wife sitting at ringside to see this bout?

Doc

That was his daughter Doc. The wife is estranged.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby dragontigerpalm on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm

zenshiite wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote:The more I watch the clips the more bogus it looks to me - looking a lot more like WWE.

And speaking of professional wrestling, did you notice Terry 'Hulk' Hogan and his wife sitting at ringside to see this bout?

Doc

That was his daughter Doc. The wife is estranged.

That might have been his new girlfriend who supposedly looks a lot like his daughter.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Sprint on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 pm

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Kimbo has pretty much reached the end of the line as a pro fighter. Having thought about it, I think his chin has gone and whoever fights him next will have one aim only - to test that chin. It comes to a lot of fighters - it's just the accumulation of years of getting hit. Kimbo would never have become the fighter he is/was without being able to eat jabs like that for breakfast. As some have pointed out he should not have gone down from that shot. Unfortunately for fighting and Kimbo, he is now box office and I foresee things getting pretty ugly. Will he have the self awareness to call it a day? I doubt it. What fighter ever did?
Sprint
Wuji

Postby ashe on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:55 am

i think it's staged so there can be a rematch with lot's of hype a la "redbelt".

it just looks too bogus. kimbo took HUGE shots from gannon and never went down like that. not one of petruzelli's shots even caused any movement in kimbo's head.

EDIT- ok. watching the clip again i see he did take that first shot right on the button but still...
Last edited by ashe on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:34 am

I dunno. If you were XC elite, and wanted to set up a big "rematch", would you risk your franchise fighter, the guy you are relying on for draw, against a no-name? How are you gonna hype that? "battle of the suckers"?
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:51 am

ashe wrote:

i think it's staged so there can be a rematch with lot's of hype a la "redbelt".

it just looks too bogus. kimbo took HUGE shots from gannon and never went down like that. not one of petruzelli's shots even caused any movement in kimbo's head.

EDIT- ok. watching the clip again i see he did take that first shot right on the button but still...

The way I see it Kimbo turns his head at the jab which had nothing on it, didn't snap his head back and certainly didn't KO him. Kimbo moves immediately on the floor. Seth hits the top of Kimbo's head, his shoulder and catches the side of his eye. Then Kimbo rolls as Seth hits air twice. With Kimbo on his back with his head exposed Seth hits the pecs then over the top of the head with punches that look pulled. Seth hits the air after the ref called the fight harder than he hit Kimbo. This was a three dollar bill.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:04 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I dunno. If you were XC elite, and wanted to set up a big "rematch", would you risk your franchise fighter, the guy you are relying on for draw, against a no-name? How are you gonna hype that? "battle of the suckers"?

Agreed, especially since up until the actual fight he was supposed to be fighting Ken Shamrock. A "staged" fight with an alternate back-up, that's going a little far. :-\

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:45 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I dunno. If you were XC elite, and wanted to set up a big "rematch", would you risk your franchise fighter, the guy you are relying on for draw, against a no-name? How are you gonna hype that? "battle of the suckers"?

Where was the risk to Kimbo? He was hardly touched. The hype for future fight(s) is a no brainer. Now you have two draws: can the unknown repeat his stunning performance, is he the real deal or was it a fluke; and can Kimbo comeback from such a humiliating defeat. The only suckers are the members of the audience.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:18 am

Fight promoters don't worry about risks to fighters, they worry about risks to the draw of the promotion. If hulk hogan jumped up and took Shamrock's place, and beat kimbo, that would be a sensational fight/rematch. Seth fucking nobody winning in 14 seconds... who is going to really give a damn. MMA fans these days are more sophisticated then you might think.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Would more fans really be glued to the tube for Kimbo's next fight had he beaten the nobody Petruzelli? There's no drama factor in that outcome. Apparently Seth is already upping the drama by claiming that he was told by XCElite to only play standup to give Kimbo the edge which by implication makes his victory all the more impressive and definitely ups the post fight buzz. We'll just have to see how this all plays out.

BTW, sophisticated fan is pretty close to an oxymoron IMO.
Last edited by dragontigerpalm on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan