Nootropics Anyone?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Nootropics Anyone?

Postby gzregorz on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 am

Anyone here take nootropics? I've been putting my own together with positive effects. Anyone else?
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: Nootropics Anyone?

Postby Azer on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:39 am

I've tried this before, its available over the counter in Russia and probably most of Eastern Europe. Often used for exams and such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracetam

There is supposedly a more potent version now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noopept
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 am

it seems like a pretty broad category, just looking at the wikipedia page on nootropics. i've had good luck with sam-e and 5htp taken daily for mood, and thulsi for energy and nerves. i have a friend who really likes rhodiola, and oddly enough a tincture of rosemary and a few other things seems to really work to sharpen up the brain for a few hours. totally subjective, sample of 1 etc.
vagabond
Huajing

Postby gzregorz on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah, I take chlorine, bacopa, and l theanine as well as ginko and fish oil.

I'm currently experimenting with Focus Factor simply because it's on sale at Costco and I've always been curious about it. It's actually a mix of a multi vitamin and nootropic stack, although I'd prefer a pure nootropic stack like Alpha Brain that's stuff too expensive (then again perhaps it's worth it).

There was a website called nootropic.com that had lots of good information but I think someone else bought the domain name because I can't seem to find it.
Last edited by gzregorz on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Is there somewhere for good scientific studies demonstrating a genuine increase in memory, IQ, concentration etc vs side effects?

Seems hard to separate the possible placebos from the genuine article, if there is such a thing yet.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Taichiturtle on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 am

TrainingDummy wrote:Is there somewhere for good scientific studies demonstrating a genuine increase in memory, IQ, concentration etc vs side effects?

Seems hard to separate the possible placebos from the genuine article, if there is such a thing yet.

It's the problem with all of these things. I can't see noopept making it into the brain from an oral dose, even if it looks good in animal studies. Piracetam certainly could make it into the brain. But data..... Pubmed?
Taichiturtle
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:27 am

I take coffee, daily.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am

Although I understand the skepticism, are their studies saying that if you eat healthier you will feel better?

Perhaps it is the placebo effect but I've taken these for months and the feeling is the same as when I started, a better memory and a clearer mind. As a matter of fact I actually drink less coffee now.

The the way I see it is give it a try if it works for you great if not then move on. I experiment with supplements and found most do have noticeable facts, but finding desired effect can be a little tougher.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm

gzregorz wrote:Although I understand the skepticism, are their studies saying that if you eat healthier you will feel better?

I'm not coming from a skeptical point of view. I realize that millions of dollars are being spent on research towards these types of products and it's only a matter of time before a genuine article hits the market.

Even though, it's a time sink to sift through the science and marketing. So if someone already has done it for me, a link to quality, independent studies would be appreciated.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Right, my point is I think it would be hard to measure the results. No, it's not going to change your life but I find it useful right up there with good quality sleeping, eating well and exercise habits. I too would be interested in the research.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 am

gzregorz wrote:Anyone here take nootropics? I've been putting my own together with positive effects. Anyone else?

Bulk Nutrition/ 1Fast400 forums started manufacturing under a new label: Smart Powders http://www.smartpowders.com/nootropics.html?p=1

Have you experimented with some others, like mainly interested if you've tried Alpha GPC + racetems?

How Pramiracetam works
Pramiracetam does not seem to influence the brain in a similar manner as Noopept and Aniracetam, via the dopaminergic or serotonin receptors. Pramiracetam appears to rather induce choline uptake in the hippocampus (the area thought to be the center of the brain for emotion & memory), and thus, requires high levels of bioavailable acetylcholine (provided by such products as Smart Powders Alpha GPC).

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

If you jump to 40:00 you can hear Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss discussing nootropics here. They are saying some interesting things about some products I am not familiar with. One is a nasal spray found in Europe that Tim used to use to get scores of 98 on exams of Chinese characters.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztM4gDX2u8 ... tM4gDX2u8A
Last edited by gzregorz on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Azer on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I just saw this in my youtube feed:

Check out the side effects, some crazy stuff there. Seems to work on similar pathways as some of the racetam meds.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolpidem
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Azer wrote:I just saw this in my youtube feed:

Check out the side effects, some crazy stuff there. Seems to work on similar pathways as some of the racetam meds.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolpidem

Zolpidem/ Ambien is a powerful sleep aid. Works on the GABA receptors. Racetams that work on the GABA receptors are more in the anticonvulsant/ calming category and are actually more the opposite of what you want to feel from a nootropic - increased focus and memory.

Ambien has a common side effect of causing sleepwalking and I came across some information that there needs to be both GABA and Glycine in order to fall asleep, enter REM, and remain paralyzed during sleep.

For people who are battling insomnia try adding a cheap supplement called TMG (Tri methyl glycine) to your nightly cocktail. TMG is also a good liver detoxifier, plays a part in energy production, also a precursor to Sam-E.

Interesting vid though. There's some work being done with using chemicals that permanently block receptors (cause brain damage) to stimulate new growth in people with brain injuries.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for heads up about that nasal spray, I can imagine misuse of the wrong nasal spray could be deadly then again so can studying Chinese characters. ;)
gzregorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan