How to evaluate qigong instruction

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

How to evaluate qigong instruction

Postby everything on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Suppose you want to take a qigong class but you know nothing of the quality of this class. How do you judge the quality before signing up? If it's a martial arts class, you can get a little demo in a free class. If it's qigong, what happens? Suppose you cannot or are not sure you can feel qi so you have no idea if anything happens or happened. You have no way to know if this class will be worth it. It takes time to feel anything so you could be wasting your time or you could actually be investing your time. Alternatively, suppose you are farther along than most people who would go to a Qigong 101 class and you're not really sure there is even anything to be gained in this class because it's Qigong 101 and you're not sure this instructor can even teach anything beyond this level (similar to many taiji "teachers" with anything "martial"). As in the martial arts class, I would expect a hands on demo and be able to feel something in either scenario, e.g., a feeling similar to getting acupuncture. What do you think?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: How to evaluate qigong instruction

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

What do you think? ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

As in the martial arts class, I would expect a hands on demo and be able to feel something in either scenario, e.g., a feeling similar to getting acupuncture. But this kind of transparency doesn't seem prevalent.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm

;)
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 pm

for the most part, qigong deals with awareness first, which takes time as we begin without knowing how to be aware. From that point, small epiphanies along the way an then cultivation.

Like body building, you will not have results immediately, like learning to write, you will not be able to do so after you learn your first letter, or because you now own a pen.

It is unreasonable to expect anything from the starting point other than the knowing that at least you have begun.

with some wit and perspicacity, it shouldn't take all that long before you realize that what you are doing has value or not. If,on the other hand you happen to be a a dullard, then perhaps you will spend ages on it with no results at all. ;)
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks, Darth. That answers my question for the first scenario, and I'd have to agree 100%. What do you think about the second scenario?
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:05 pm

well, in your second scenario, you are saying that you come equipped with prior knowledge and should be able to examine and see if there is something? Is that correct?

If so, I would still approach with an empty cup because it is my choice to seek out further understanding. Again, it would not take long to realize if there was value in continued study with the given person, or to continue seeking a teacher to give you more cultivation exercises that will build upon what you already have, or perhaps start on a different path.

I like my qigong teachers to be old and healthy. That to me is definitive results. For instance, there is an old folks home down the street from me and one of the gents there is an octogenarian, his students are in their 60's and his taichi is quite good (yang style). I enjoy watching him with his grannies, it's refreshing. However, I still enjoy the hardship of sillum practice and will continue with that until I am ready to delve deeper in to the Yang that I have been learning but only supplementing with. Luckily, My traiing partner is investing the time into his taichi and I will have the pleasure of gaining his instruction in time. He's over 50 now and is very young looking and full of energy. To me, that's good enough! (Many of the over 50's I know are quite slovenly and resigned to poor health, aches and pains and doing no more about it than downing a variety of medications...yuck!)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Is the teacher a vibrant, healthy (physically/mentally/emotionally), calm, and mature person? We judge a tree by its fruit.
Last edited by kreese on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:12 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:for the most part, qigong deals with awareness first, which takes time as we begin without knowing how to be aware. From that point, small epiphanies along the way an then cultivation.

Like body building, you will not have results immediately, like learning to write, you will not be able to do so after you learn your first letter, or because you now own a pen.

It is unreasonable to expect anything from the starting point other than the knowing that at least you have begun.

with some wit and perspicacity, it shouldn't take all that long before you realize that what you are doing has value or not. If,on the other hand you happen to be a a dullard, then perhaps you will spend ages on it with no results at all. ;)

good post can't say it much clearer than that
somatai

Postby everything on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Ah yes, old and healthy seems like one good sign. I enjoy martial arts but at the same time I feel ready to go much deeper in qigong (whether or not it helps my martial arts, I really don't care), so I'd like to find a highly qualified teacher. Let's say someone who says something like, "well you're making progress but you have a blockage here and here, and try this, this, and this" and helps my process. Come to think of it, it won't be someone who has to advertise or teach a "class" so never mind about my class question.
everything
Wuji

Postby somatai on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm

much easier to learn to relax the mind
somatai

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 pm

I'd want a demonstration (slapping the bottom out of a beer bottle?), as well as a chance to touch his glowing chi balls.

Nah. What Kreese said.

kreese wrote:Is the teacher a vibrant, healthy (physically/mentally/emotionally), calm, and mature person? We judge a tree by its fruit.
Ian

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 am

kreese wrote:Is the teacher a vibrant, healthy (physically/mentally/emotionally), calm, and mature person? We judge a tree by its fruit.

I agree to about 50 percent . . . nah, maybe 35-40 % only, not more than that. It is not as easy to judge a person by his appearance and behavior as one might think. If the teacher is 80 years old and very healthy and vital, that is one thing. But most qigong teachers you will encounter will not be that old.

Some people are very good to act and behave like other people believe that a qigong teacher should act and behave. Other teachers, like myself, will not try to hide that they had a terrible day or are in a bad mood. Everyone have their own ups and downs. Personally, I don't trust people who put up a facade and hide their true selves.

I think the only way is to read a lot from different sources, maybe trying to question everybody you know about the subjct. Then, when you have enough knowledge you will know what to ask, and how to listen, to the person who calls himelf "qigong" teacher. However, it will take quite some time and effort to do some research, but I would not suggest anyone taking a class in qigong or taiji before having some knowledge about it. But then again, what texts or literature should one trust? Yes, it is very hard . . .
Last edited by Bao on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:32 am

In my opinion, qigong teachers have a high probability to be, well, fake. I personally thus like to learn from those who also do IMA (and can demonstrate capability in such); otherwise you could get some kind of demonstration, I guess, but you won't be guaranteed to "feel" anything right away - better to see some kind of visual demonstration instead (moving dantian around, etc.) that anyone can confirm.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:08 am

The best indicator of qigong practice is the color of one's palms after a session, as qi leads the blood and over time the opening of small capillaries to the hands/ extremities will also show the amount of qigong work one has done in their life. In the beginning the palms will be mostly white with red splotches, then mostly red with white spots, then gradually the white spots will fade and eventually years later the whole palm will turn to a dark blueish red almost like the color of a cow's liver.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan