Yang family (Banhou) fast frame (kuaiquan)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yang family (Banhou) fast frame (kuaiquan)

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:33 am

This is the fast frame as passed down by Yang Banhou, who told his disciples to have received it from Yang Luchan.
This exact same frame was then passed down to Shaohou as "Banhou's fast frame" while Shaohou himself also created *his* fast frame - so at Shaohou's generation two fast frames were known and practiced.

FYI

YM

太極拳快架

預備勢、起勢、攬雀尾、單鞭、提手上勢、白鶴亮翅、左摟膝拗步、手揮琵琶、左右摟膝拗步、手揮琵琶、左摟膝拗步、進步搬攔捶、如封似閉、十字手、收勢、起勢、攬雀尾、單鞭、古樹盤根、肘底看捶、左倒攆猴、轉身左按、轉身右按、右倒攆猴、轉身右按、轉身左按、斜飛勢、提手上勢、白鶴亮翅、左摟膝拗步、童子抱球、海底針、扇通背、轉身撇身捶、搬攔捶、上步攬雀尾、單鞭、小雲手、單鞭、高探馬、左右分腳、轉身蹬腳、踐步栽捶、翻身二起、左打虎勢、右打虎勢、右蹬腳、右雙峰貫耳、左雙峰貫耳、轉身右按、左按、轉身右蹬腳、左蹬腳、搬攔捶、如封似閉、十字手、收勢、起勢、攬雀尾、斜單鞭、左右野馬分鬃、攬雀尾、單鞭、玉女穿梭、攬雀尾、單鞭、中雲手、單鞭、下勢、左右金雞獨立、左倒攆猴、右插手、右倒攆猴、左插手、左倒攆猴、右插手、斜飛勢、提手上勢、白鶴亮翅、左摟膝拗步、海底針、扇通背、轉身白蛇吐信、搬攔捶、上步攬雀尾、單鞭、大雲手、單鞭、高探馬帶穿掌、單擺蓮、進步指襠捶、上步攬雀尾、單鞭、下勢、上步七星、退步跨虎、跨虎蹬山、古樹盤根、雙擺蓮、彎弓射虎、搬攔捶、如封似閉、十字手、披身合太極。
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Re: Yang family (Banhou) fast frame (kuaiquan)

Postby edededed on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:36 am

As with Changquan, could you tell us where this quanpu came from?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:49 am

edededed wrote:As with Changquan, could you tell us where this quanpu came from?

If you read my message you will see this is from both Banhou as well as Shaohou lines.

You can check out Li Wancheng or Lin Jinsheng's lines, for instance

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:43 am

Here is the fast frame from Banhou.
This is the earliest Fast Frame still available from the first generation Yang family, passed down and still practiced also by Shaohou's descendants, according to the quanpu abovementioned.
This is a public video, and the only one available for as much as I know, so I guess it is not a problem to upload it.
All other videos I have are private and I don't have permission to disclose them for public viewing.
In any case, while the skills of the performer may be different the set is exactly the same.

Best

YM

Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:24 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:while the skills of the performer may be different the set is exactly the same.

You mean that he suck?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:35 am

Bao wrote:You mean that he suck?

Why this question ?
My comment was in regard to the fact that the set (choreography) remains the same in various lines and what may vary (obviously) are only the skills of the performer

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:05 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:
Bao wrote:You mean that he suck?

Why this question ?

Because when you look at some movements as "picking the needle from the bottom of the sea" (0.25), you can see clearly that his shenfa is disconnected, that he do not use full body movement. Also, his top look strong, but the rooting is week.

I wish you or someone else could show a better clip on this form . . .
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:15 am

Bao wrote:Because when you look at some movements as "picking the needle from the bottom of the sea" (0.25), you can see clearly that his shenfa is disconnected, that he do not use full body movement. Also, his top look strong, but the rooting is week.

I wish you or someone else could show a better clip on this form . . .

I posted the video with the precise goal of showing the set, not discussing the skills of the performer, and I am aware that there are always 'better' and 'worst' pratictioners out there.
Skills are always subjective, until one crosses hands seriously and the result may give more objective pov's.

In general, if you are used to what is passed by 'standard Taijiquan' out there you might be surprised - to say the least - in watching some people from the Banhou/Shaohou's lines. But this would be a long discussion and I, of course, don't know what your experiences are.

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:I posted the video with the precise goal of showing the set, not discussing the skills of the performer, and I am aware that there are always 'better' and 'worst' pratictioners out there.
Skills are always subjective, until one crosses hands seriously and the result may give more objective pov's.

When you present something, the difference is the same as the difference between a good and a bad commercial.

If you never heard "Ave Maria before, and someone make you listen to a bad "American Idol" amateur, you will have no clue how the song should be sung or how the beutiful the song could be. You will just think "bad" or "mediocre".
Last edited by Bao on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 am

Bao wrote:When you present something, the difference is the same as the difference between a good and a bad commercial.

If you never heard "Ave Maria before, and someone make you listen to a bad "American Idol" amateur, you will have no clue how the song should be sung or how the beutiful the song could be. You will just think "bad" or "mediocre".

I am afraid we are going a bit off-topic but, however ... your judgement/thinking of 'bad', 'mediocre' or 'good' is always versus a set of comparison that you have created with your life/experiences.

'Good' or 'bad' are only so in respect to a certain standard or goal that you have in mind, they are not absolute truth.

IMHO

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:25 am

Anyone can here when someone is singing false. Not much life experience is needed comparing songs, dance, painitngs or other art. Children understand when they hear someone sing false and will appreciate paintings of great artists.

My point was that the performance in your clip might not be representative for how the form (or taijiquan) should be played. And the point of your last post was . . . ?
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:21 am

Bao wrote:Children understand when they hear someone sing false and will appreciate paintings of great artists.

I suppose you don't have small children then :)

No need to agree, and as we are really going off-topic I'd leave it at that if that's ok with you

Best

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Franklin on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:11 am

thanks for posting the video-

very interesting

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 am

This your lineage too?

I like this form a lot. Kid's got good mechanics.
H2O_Dragon

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 am

Very interesting - though, bar the punch ground - turn - kick - sequence it bears little relationship to any Taiji I am familiar with. (To put it another way: If you had not told me that was Taiji, I would not have guessed it). Is anyone here familiar with this form or style of practice?

YM:

Why, our of curiousity, are the other videos you have for private viewing only?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan