Front leg vs. back leg power

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Front leg vs. back leg power

Postby H2O_Dragon on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Not sure if this one's been discussed yet, figured it might be a fun topic. So....

What do you use? Front leg, back leg, or both. any comments or observations?
H2O_Dragon

Re: Front leg vs. back leg power

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Back leg pushes, front foot slides across ground, front foot stops, force goes out, weight goes back again.
Thats sort of the xingyi mentality at least.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm

I'd say it depends on what position you find yourself in, but you should always find some spring to take advantage from either leg if you are relaxed enough into your kua to be "corked" as they say in silat, but it's also in bagua that the legs are twisted into each other.

One leg is two legs, two legs are one leg.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 pm

There's a move where you lean on your front leg, take away that front leg support and strike as you fall forward.

That one's non-telegraphing.

IMO you don't always have to push, slide, spring, or twist.

And besides, when you fight multiple people, there often isn't a front or back leg.
Ian

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 am

Back leg drives forward. For most strikes anyways. The sinking in a technique can be with anything, I don't like the idea of falling and punching.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:02 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I don't like the idea of falling and punching.

'course you don't. you haven't trained or seen it done properly. :P
Ian

Postby Josealb on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 am

Half step. It does the body good.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 am

i can see this topic growing some mighty fine arguments.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:09 pm

From what I've seen, at least in Yang Taiji, is that both are used for most movements in the form. You usually start backweighted, pushing off the backfoot. As the weight continues to shift forward, The front leg begins to take over with a pulling motion.

What I've noticed fighting though (I'm referring to Boxing, Muay Thai, and Judo) is that you rarely, if ever, are on both feet. When striking, I tend to be on the front foot, when grappling, I seem to be on the back, but I can't ever recall having both feet juicing at the same time.

My other observation is that even though in the form, I'm actually pushing and pulling with my fight, in application, it's more 'squeezing' my leg muscles than either pushing or pulling.

Anyone else observe something similar?
H2O_Dragon

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:26 pm

In the basic Piquan, it is the back foot which is stable and weighted. Is it from this leg you bring strength? I have noticed that it is when you coordinate with the step of the front foot you can get some awesome jin. But you dont need to put your weight in it, really just tap the foot or put it down. So, is it the back leg or the front leg which bring strength to the fist? I think it is almost never an easy answer on which leg you should use in a certain situation. Just make sure you have a good body co-ordination and a good sense of timing, that is enough ;)

and btw, very good observations H2O :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:22 am

Ian wrote:

Falling has certain connotations. Namely being at gravities mercy. So it might be a semantic problem. Sinking is a much better word IMO because the word implies control. The way I have trained is to be centered at all times, some day I might be able to do that. If you are falling then you are not centered, (well I guess you can be centered and falling but is it still falling?) However you can sink and be centered.

I do admit that I have a lot to learn. Every once in a while my teacher will show me something that I would have thought was wrong before. So maybe he just hasn't taught me the falling stuff yet.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I do admit that I have a lot to learn. Every once in a while my teacher will show me something that I would have thought was wrong before. So maybe he just hasn't taught me the falling stuff yet.

I thought you had "two decades of personal experience"? Maybe its one of those schools that wait for decade number three for the good stuff. ;D
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Damnnnnn...

S- kicks back feet
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Ian wrote:

I know what your talking about Ian. This technique is very quick, very solid and can be used to fire of multiple shots in a seamless and unbroken manner. Your also correct in saying that the telegraphing is cut to a minimum. Follow step also uses this technique to strike negating the need for a wind-up.

DeusTrismegistus,
how it works is that, while "falling" (albeit for a split second) by removing contact of one leg with the floor, the other leg is used to transfer the energy of the body's falling mass, down to the floor and back towards the body part(s) used to apply the force. It is well worth investigating.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:33 pm

I use the same 'falling' idea when I do Uchi Mata. Never thought of it for striking tho. Hmmm.....
H2O_Dragon

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan