Front leg vs. back leg power

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Front leg vs. back leg power

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Just a quick adjunct,

The question of front or back foot seems to me to be largely a question of relativity. The main factors as I see it are what type of strike,what distance are you working at and whether the strike is generated with the contralateral or ipsilateral hand to foot.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:
The question of front or back foot seems to me to be largely a question of relativity.

How so? I see them as delivering specific, different types of power. Back foot seems to be more of a straight force, front foot seems to be more circular.

Walk the Torque wrote:The main factors as I see it are what type of strike,what distance are you working at and whether the strike is generated with the contralateral or ipsilateral hand to foot.

I definately agree with this, I still see the front and back foot as having a different 'quality' or 'flavor'. Not sure what word to use, but they ain't quite the same to me.

Thoughts?
H2O_Dragon

Postby waterdaan on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:50 pm

:-[
contralateral or ipsilateral
-joint-
waterdaan
Santi

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:53 am

Josealb wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:I do admit that I have a lot to learn. Every once in a while my teacher will show me something that I would have thought was wrong before. So maybe he just hasn't taught me the falling stuff yet.

I thought you had "two decades of personal experience"? Maybe its one of those schools that wait for decade number three for the good stuff. ;D

Almost, 2, 17 years as near as I can recollect. And i think you should shut you freaking mouth about other peoples schools you don't know shit about. I have never once insulted someone else for their opinion or personal experience or their school. Yet you seem to think thats acceptable behavior, I didn't think it was supposed to be on the flower but maybe I am wrong. I find it personally insulting and if you said that shit to my face I would knock your fucking head off. I am not going to justify my training to an asshole like you. There are at least 1 person on this board who can account for what I know (iwalkthecircle) and him and Fong both know my teacher and train with his colleagues. If you want to be insulting why don't you ask them if your justified.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:10 am

Actually, im pretty damn sure you have NEVER insulted anyone like that to their face. No other duck footed fat boy has ever done it....why should you?

Just chill. Lay off the insults and if you don't wanna justify...then don't.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 am

I thought Deus was quite skinny. ;D
Ian

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 am

Josealb wrote:Actually, im pretty damn sure you have NEVER insulted anyone like that to their face. No other duck footed fat boy has ever done it....why should you?

Just chill. Lay off the insults and if you don't wanna justify...then don't.

Only a couple times.

I will lay off the insults when you do. Otherwise expect tit for tat.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 am

Did you just offer me tit? :o
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:01 am

Enough.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:05 am

S has spoken. Deus, lets not derail threads with insults...(even if i think you're the new graham). ;D

Peace, love and milk cookies.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:08 am

I have been playing alot lately with what Dan Harden stresses alot, that when one leg spirals up into the opposite hand the other is spiraling down as a balancer. So I guess both legs help generate the power in a coordinated fashion. Makes sense to me and if Dan's any example it hurts like a mofo (wincing thinking about it).
Brady
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:46 am

Josealb wrote:S has spoken. Deus, lets not derail threads with insults...(even if i think you're the new graham). ;D

Peace, love and milk cookies.

I will stand down if you will. My response in the other thread won't be edited or deleted though as I read this after writing it.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:50 am

It's done. Shut it.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby H2O_Dragon on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Dear Jose and Deus,

Please get the fuck off my thread with that shit before I knock one of you upside the head with back leg power and the other with front leg.

Have a nice day
H2O_Dragon

Postby nianfong on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 pm

thanks for the self-regulation guys. :)

deus, I think you're just arguing over semantics about what "falling" means. we're ALWAYS at the mercy of gravity. if we use gravity to our advantage, it makes things better for us. I think you need to be shown the concept of the "falling" step which is very similar to the following step.

In fact, the falling step (to an exaggerated extent) is used in several shuai-jiao throws. esp shaving, where you "fall" onto the shaving foot. inner hooks are most effective when you fall into them and catch yourself after as well. John Wang talked about it all the time as "destroying your own balance" and then regaining it again. Same goes for outside leg seizing, where you bump the opponent's leg on the inside. When you bump that leg, you have to put your weight into your leg to give it power, and it also speeds up the step.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan