Aw, damn! I was enjoying this until...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Aw, damn! I was enjoying this until...

Postby JessOBrien on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:09 pm

I've been severely beaten by two of Hong yi Xiang's students and neither one of them ever hurt me, even when moving full speed and very high power in quite free form situations. I've gotten banged up a lot but damn it was worth it. It helped me learn how to bang up other people. Without being hit, you'll never be able to hit. At least that is my experience. And from the students of Hong Yi Xiang that I've met, that attitude is alive and well. One of the best things about taking a smack from a great teacher is that when other people hit you, it doesn't hurt much. And that helps you realize that you are stronger than you thought.
-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:03 am

Point taken, however there is a difference between constructive exchanges and destructive exchanges. It sounds like yours was the former, whereas Mr Pittman's was the latter (based on the story that was posted).

Based on that, I can't say I blame him for feeling the way he does.
chud
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:46 am

Except Pittman's article commented on Hung directly and Danny's story had to do with one of his students.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:54 pm

JessOBrien wrote: One of the best things about taking a smack from a great teacher is that when other people hit you, it doesn't hurt much. And that helps you realize that you are stronger than you thought.
-Jess O

Jess has Beng Quaned the gut of truth and now truth will be much tougher for most of us to bang around in our free time. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan