Bashi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bashi

Postby serendipityfox on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 am

My teacher ahas taught me BaShi- very effective fundamental training. What is the background? Is it a very old fundamental training set for Shaolin?
serendipityfox
Santi

Re: Bashi

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 am

Do you have any pictures/videos available, to pinpoint which style you are referring to? I ask because there are many forms and exercises called 'Ba Shi' in Chinese martial arts, and even quite a few coming from Shaolin. For example - my teacher in China teaches a martial art called Shaolin Jingang Bashi, which features many 'Ba Shi' exercises.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby serendipityfox on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Heh... thanks jonathon, actually It was the form I learned from your teacher!
serendipityfox
Santi

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 am

Haha, nice to know ^_^ What's your name? Did you study with Zhou shifu in Tianjin, or when he was in Poland?

As for Jingang's Liu He Ba Shi -

I have not seen these 8 combinations elsewhere as they are taught by Zhou. However, most of the techniques are very common in other martial systems. The first movement is very characteristic to Jingang, with the diagonal uppercut. Second movement can be seen in many northern systems, such as northern mantis. Third movement is also very common, and the chopping is similar to Pigua and Tongbei. Forth is a pretty standard 'Shaolin' reverse punch, though Zhou teaches it with a bit more Baji flavour. Fifth is a sort of combination found in many Shaolin styles. Sixth is very similar to forth, just with sucking-in and issuing-out, and has stepping akin to that found in Baji. Seventh is a heavy-hands open-close practice you can find in Pigua, Tongbei and Shaolin systems. Eighth is unique to Jingang, but similar to stuff in arts like northern mantis.

It is said that Jingang was an advanced inner-court style in Shaolin. I wouldn't know. It looks as if it's a style that was wisely constructed and put together by combining the best from many other styles. Jingang does have a lot of Buddhist symbolism, which is apparent in the opening of the postures, with the hands going to the dantian held as in a Buddhist prayer position.

Several Baji lineages adopted Liu He Ba Shi from Jingang over the years. Li Ruidong, founder of Li style Taiji Quan, practiced Jingang Bashi, but only taught Liu He Ba Shi to his students.

These eight movements serve to build a foundation for the entire system. Later are taught Liu He Sha Shi, which are more elaborate 8 movements very similar to these. All in all, there are 64 variations to the basic eight (8X8), taught in increasing difficulty. Then come '64 hard hands', and after these the '64 soft hands', each basically being a more elaborate and complex version of the previous 64. There's tons of extra material after that as well. The art only becomes softer and more 'internal' about when you learn the 64 soft hands, which can take a while. Prior to that, the focus is on building a very strong foundation and body. Liu He Ba Shi in particular are meant to stretch the body in all directions, making it more pliable.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan