Forget everything you know...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Forget everything you know...

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Someone on here had clued me in to the Yang Taiji forum last year but I never really looked into it.
Anyway, I was just trying to find some other translations and actually found some great insights to the same/similar ideas to what I'm trying to point out on this thread.

So, enjoy these posts by 'Audi' -

5. "Use Yi, do not use Li, 用意不用力": Despite what may appear from Yang Chengfu's explanation, I think that too much emphasis is often given to Li, Yi, and Jin as theoretical concepts. I think what is meant is simply that we should pay attention to how we use our muscles rather than to how much. If we put our minds on the right things, natural processes will give us the power we want. If we concentrate on simply using more muscular power to achieve our ends directly, we will actually block those processes from achieving the result we want. It is more about training method than about the level of muscular exertion.
Take care,
Audi

"5- You are right in the sense that we should not go so much deep into the abstract about these concepts."

My point was not so much that we should not go into the abstract, but that the abstract should be linked as closely as possible to the concrete. As I mentioned, my understanding of Persian is nearly nonexistent, but when I look at your translation and make an educated guess as to the meaning and structure, it is not clear to me that you used any Persian equivalent of 力 Li4 or 意 Yi4, but just transliterated them. This was not done in the English versions you used. By making this choice as a translator, I just wonder whether it overemphasize these terms as mysterious, foreign concepts, instead of things that we encounter every day all day.
Take care,
Audi

You have well pointed out what I have done in translating "Yong Yi Bu Yong Li". I have not translated the two words "Yi" and "Li". I had several reasons to do so and I have done this only in this one among the Ten Essentials. I think some words should not be translated and the same Chinese word should be used. I have done this for other words like "Shen" or "Jing Shen" and some others. The most important reason is that sometimes the equivalents of these kind of words in the second language (here Persian) have a long history and there are so many stories attached to them. As soon as you use them in translation the mind of the reader associates the meaning with these stories and this is where the problem occurs. The original intention of the Chinese word might not be associated with these concepts and stories. This is rooted in cultural background of each language and the history, beliefs and experiences of the people of that country. So I believe in these cases it is better to leave it as it is and try to convey the meaning by explaining the word. I should add that this problem is only related to "Yi". However I did the same for "Li" with the intention of highlighting the Jin and Li continuum, to draw the attentions to the fact that force in Taijiquan is more refined that normal force and strength we experience. I would like to know your opinion about this issue.

Best Regards,
Meghdad

Hi Meghdad,

What we are discussing is a problem inherent to all translations. Often what we must do is choose the least bad option rather than the best option. I cannot tell you what is best in English, let alone in Persian. I just want to be clear about some of the implications.

In English, I do not particular like the word "intent" as a translation for Yì 意. In my internal dialog with myself, I prefer the verb "to mean." In other words, I ask myself what do I mean by positioning my limbs a certain way or what is my purpose in doing it precisely in that manner. According to my understanding, at the middle level of trying to "understand energy" (懂劲), we should move with conscious awareness, and so every part of our body should have meaningful movement. I would think that there would be some way to express this in Persian without triggering too many other associations. Perhaps you need a phrase or a change in the part of speech. For instance, I like talking to my students about what they mean be bending their elbows in a particular fashion, but not about the "meaning" of doing so, even though Yì 意 can range as far as having that significance.

In English, I am more or less happy with rendering "Lì" as "strength" and "Jìn" as "power" or "energy." Grand Master Yang Zhenduo, for instance, has talked about "Jìn" as being simply "trained 'Lì.'" What we train, however, is more than just "Jìn" or "power," since we stress training from inside to outside. What we train most is "Nèi Jìn" or "internal power," rather than "Wài Jìn or "external power." We often use the term "Jìn" as shorthand for "Nèi Jìn," but I think it is good to maintain the distinction. Typically, Master Yang Jun uses the word "energy" when he talks about "(Nèi) Jìn," but I do not think he is trying to set up an English definition.

I think I lost the equivalent of 2-3 years worth of training by thinking of many of the Chinese terms as only philosophical terms, rather than concrete ones. One of the things that initially impressed my most about the Yangs was how practical they seemed. Because of my experience, I tend to favor translations that are as simple and direct as possible. Others, with a different background, might go the other way.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Audi

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Yes, good idea, go with the words :)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 am

In English, I do not particular like the word "intent" as a translation for Yì 意. In my internal dialog with myself, I prefer the verb "to mean." In other words, I ask myself what do I mean by positioning my limbs a certain way or what is my purpose in doing it precisely in that manner. According to my understanding, at the middle level of trying to "understand energy" (懂劲), we should move with conscious awareness, and so every part of our body should have meaningful movement.

really cant agree with his "translation" if he could do it, then there would be no need to translate it. He could allow his students to feel it in use, and not in use. This is what I had asked about before weather the translators can actually do what they'er translating.

, we should move with conscious awareness,

should be " we should let our conscious awareness guide the movement" the awareness itself is outside the movement, if one does the later the awareness will be come attached and stuck with in the movement. in reacting to force, Instead of changing the mind, one will tend to keep trying to change the body.....its different 8-)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Its a flash of a second goes with a few moves in a fight. I really don't know the moves are conscious or unconscious. And sometimes can't even remember what moves have been made.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 am

Hmm, in a fight ... Well, it's interesting how in (some) martial arts there is the idea of "no mind" (mu shin?). Is that, or can that be, related to "intent"? Btw, is "yi" really the same for all ima, cma or mas in general? Or, is "intent" (yi) different from one art to another?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 am

The art and diligent practice should open your eyes to the eastern mind. I firmly believe that all arts lead to Yi, but it must be done before you can know it. To say it, to read it, to translate it, is only lip service. Only if you ca do it can you say you know it. I am a barbarian not a scholar, so I will no longer belabor the subject in discourse, suffice it to say, I use Yi as mind speed. You think it, it is done, there is no intent only action, intent will be the result of the action.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 am

m, ok, but everybody has yi, and li and qi, etc. So, my question was about it was or whether it was manifested differently in different arts. Personally, I think "idea, intent" in the art of tcc is not the same as that of xingyi or bagua, but that's jmo. I think, for ex., that one primary intent in tcc is "to follow" the opponent.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 am

Wanderingdragon wrote: I use Yi as mind speed. You think it, it is done, there is no intent only action, intent will be the result of the action.

What's the difference between "Yi" and "plan"?

Example of a "plan":

- You take a girl to movie.
- You then take her to a fancy restaurant.
- You then buy her some expensive gift.
- You then take her back to your place.

What should the "Yi" play here? Do you just take her clothes off and mount on top of her?

I think MA is more "plan" than "Yi".
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 am

Well, most men have a "plan" when it comes to women, and the man's body can indicate his "yi" without him saying a word :) And, even so, different men have their own ways of executing their plans.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:58 am

johnwang wrote:
Wanderingdragon wrote: I use Yi as mind speed. You think it, it is done, there is no intent only action, intent will be the result of the action.

Example of a "plan":

What should the "Yi" play here? Do you just take her clothes off and mount on top of her?

John my Yi more like Dracula, no dates she is mine upon sight, and I take as I please. The dinner and movie and gifts are for those like yourself who must plan their action , with me it is done my intent is the result of my action.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby amor on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm

windwalker wrote:[

, we should move with conscious awareness,

should be " we should let our conscious awareness guide the movement" the awareness itself is outside the movement, if one does the later the awareness will be come attached and stuck with in the movement. in reacting to force, Instead of changing the mind, one will tend to keep trying to change the body.....its different 8-)

Would you please explain this a bit better or more clearly, if possible, because I think you're on to something and it kind of jives with me, but I can't get pass the moving with conscious awareness as opposed to letting our conscious awareness because for all intents and purposes, they sound like the same thing :-\

But to illustrate, you know how the Chen ManChing students do the 'conscious awareness" thing where they feel force and end up moving or yielding/deflecting by moving which is not what you are getting at. Because you are getting at performing a change in the mind to borrow and absorb by emptying the point of contact to allow the force to pass down through your body, while maintaining your center. At this point when the force enters you you can decide what to do with it. Either absorb and project back at them or borrow and stick ...?
amor
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

it would not be in keeping with this thread
I used to post at the site mentioned a long time ago. http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/phpBB3/ ... 0e806e1b5f
many are quite good at translating things, which makes for interesting reading
at times 8-)
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby ghostface on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 am

I learned that Yi is the focusing principle of our mental activities. When practicing, being aware of what's going on inside and intentionally produce an effect on the body mechanics without being disturbed by random thoughts and without being emotionally involved in the process can be called a stable Yi. Because of it's action of focusing Yi has also the effect of emptying the Xin.

So basically, what we try to do by using Yi is to produce changes in the body and empty the Xin of whatever has no direct relation with the practice. Use Yi to produce changes in the body can be called "doing". When facing an opponent, "doing" is too slow and more important, you want to project your Yi outside on your opponent. It seems this can be only done by forgetting everything one knows, letting the empty space in the Xin lead the process, maybe that's what is called "non-doing" in martial arts?

By the way, everybody has his own intuitive understanding of those subtle mechanisms. What works for oneself may not be working for someone else so at the end there is no arguing, just taking what is good in others experience and share ours is enough imo.
ghostface
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:
johnwang wrote:

Example of a "plan":

John my Yi more like Dracula, no dates she is mine upon sight, and I take as I please. The dinner and movie and gifts are for those like yourself who must plan their action , with me it is done my intent is the result of my action.

Good, for the eastern mind I think I will insert the word " YI " for intent and " SHEN " for action.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 am

Well, fwiw, "shen" is often translated into the English word "spirit."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan