Request to Forum Administrators

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Request to Forum Administrators

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Is there anyway to make another sub-forum for just discussing Internal Martial Arts for use in fighting? So we can have discussions about just the basic internal bio-mechanics involved.

No videos of people getting lifted off their feet, rolling on the ground, bouncing, convulsing, etc.

No 'Ling Kong Jin'/ Empty Force. No 12 feet away non-touch videos or discussion about said videos.

Is that possible?

Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Re: Request to Forum Administrators

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:09 pm

in any of your threads which contain a lot of interesting info 8-)
if you ask, I am sure that most if not all,
will not use them to introduce other ideas :)

what of those that disagree, would you also ask them not
present their views also?

Empty Farce

wow almost missed it, pretty much says it all 8-)
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 pm

[Edit - forgot tags]

[sarcasm]
I guess you're just at too high a level of skill for me.

I just want to discuss basic, low-level, to middle-level stuff. Like the Fundamental bio-mechanics. The grunt work.

Your continual posting of high-level videos and your posts, just tend to derail every topic I start, or participate in, as I just want to keep the discussions to the basics.

And since we don't need to see videos showing stuff that's too advanced for our level of practice, then there would be no need to post the same videos of high level taijiquan and russian martial arts over and over again. It's just waste of time to watch the videos of stuff that I may never reach, and quite frankly never even want to learn that sort of stuff. I'm happy with my low to mid level practice and fighting skills.

I guess what I'm asking for would be more of a sub-forum for people who want to discuss just low-level, basic internal biomechanics to use for pugilistic fighting and throwing. We would only be asking that you high level guys refrain from posting in it, unless you could stoop down to our level and post about experiences you remember from your youth.
[/sarcasm]

:P

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Zonker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:08 pm

+1!
I'd love to read posts in a basics/fundamentals sub-forum!
Last edited by Zonker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Your continual posting of high-level videos and your posts, just tend to derail every topic I start, or participate in, as I just want to keep the discussions to the basics.

its not intentional
you post many good and sometimes neglected aspects of training.
no worries about me posting on your threads 8-)

peace out

d
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Windwalker,
It's not just you. On my topic "Forget everything you knew about 'yi...", I just posted the most basic, dumbed down instruction of definition of what it was, that had helped me tremendously when I was told it, and it still helps me everyday since then (I still practice Baguazhang's fundamental Jibengong: Circle Walking everyday). Now years later it's been filtered through my experiences and I wrote it best I could. The translation of 'Intent', just doesn't work for me, I don't know why but it doesn't.

And I don't know how to answer or really respond to you, graham, wanderingdragon, john wang, suckinlhbf, steve james, etc. because I can't comprehend what you all are writing about 'Yi', since it's all coming from the level of experience you guys are at. I can't understand it, let alone try to debate with you guys.

I'd found the posts by 'audi' on the taichi forum and he even wrote "According to my understanding, at the middle level of trying to "understand energy" (懂劲), we should move with conscious awareness, and so every part of our body should have meaningful movement.", and what he wrote is what I understand, so I guess I'm at the middle level. Most of that guy Audi's posts I understand. Unitaichi also posts there and I don't really understand a lot of what he writes, so he must also be at a higher level than me.

I thought my initial post in that thread was clear that I was talking about the most basic understanding of 'Yi' but apparently it wasn't. So I think maybe a small sub-forum is needed, where it's clear, and you advanced level guys can still have the whole rest of the forum to post on the intricacies of the advanced practices.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, you are too high level and we truly don't understand the words. I think this topic would have found a better audience in the distillery. That's a place I intentionally avoid because the discussions are too high level for me.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:33 am

The OP's idea has merit!
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 am

D - are you sure that's what you're really asking for? Or are you asking for a subforum where nobody can disagree with you?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 am

GrahamB wrote:D - are you sure that's what you're really asking for? Or are you asking for a subforum where nobody can disagree with you?

Want I'm asking for is an internal martial arts sub-forum for the members who, for whatever reason or another, just don't want to learn or see this sort of high-level stuff:

And it would be for members who don't want the discussions to be derailed by the introduction of the high-level of understanding and experiences that those clips require and that just go over the heads of us people who are just completely happy with their basic to mid-level practices, level of understanding, experience, and fighting abilities.

All these years I thought I was mostly on the same page as other members, but I guess since it's mostly only solo practice videos that members have shown of themselves that you just don't really know. I didn't think WD was into this advanced level work. Truthfully this all comes as quite a shock to my reality.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 am

Very few people want to see videos of students dancing about - and it's not high level either.

You do sound very confused.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Zonker on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 am

Hiya, I'm relatively new to these forums and have been reading as much of these forums as I can. The Distillery may be a section where specific points are hashed out and discussed, but a lot of these discussions go right over my head. I'm not looking to be spoon fed and, based upon my past training, realize that much of these training points and discussions will become more clear to me with years of practice. If there are inherent problems with proper instruction in IP/IMA and some of these problems are: A) Talented individuals who are unable to actually teach their skills; B) Charlatans who "teach" and pass on nonsense; and/or C) People who use high-faluting terms and phrases (which the rest of us don't really understand) to pass on proper training methods, wouldn't it serve these arts to have such a place to discuss and "simplify" the language used to teach basic and mid-level principles? Sorry, I'm a bear of very small brain and big, in-depth IP/IMA terms confuse me. Love the vids of the "no-touch" stuff and flying training partners, though. ::)

As and aside, I read FAQ12 which states that RSF goes on the rag every 6-8 weeks. I'm guessing we're in that 6-8 week cycle, huh? ;D
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 am

If people don't want to discuss those things in regular forums, then why suddenly would people want to discuss them in a special section?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, you are too high level and we truly don't understand the words. I think this topic would have found a better audience in the distillery. That's a place I intentionally avoid because the discussions are too high level for me.

@@@
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:36 am

D_Glenn wrote:
GrahamB wrote:D - are you sure that's what you're really asking for? Or are you asking for a subforum where nobody can disagree with you?

Want I'm asking for is an internal martial arts sub-forum for the members who, for whatever reason or another, just don't want to learn or see this sort of high-level stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHl_a24CMY

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHk15btS1I

And it would be for members who don't want the discussions to be derailed by the introduction of the high-level of understanding and experiences that just go over the heads of us people who are just completely happy with their basic to mid-level practices, level of understanding, experience, and fighting abilities.

All these years I thought I was mostly on the same page as other members, but I guess since it's mostly only solo practice videos that members have shown of themselves that you just don't really know. I didn't think WD was into this advanced level work. Truthfully this all comes as quite a shock to my reality..

the basic ideas you translate and present are what most if not all that is shown on the clips, why one can not understand this is really beyond me. In China, with the taiji group I work with the teacher is 93ys old now, he started shaolin, and would later master bagua, before meeting his own taiji teacher. My point being is that nothing is theory all is very explicit very concrete experience. many with many yrs of practice in other styles once meeting with him tend to stay,,,its quite different.

the videos you mentioned that I posted, if you get some time to read their bios, they are as solid as one can be in their own practices. a lot of what you present might not be accepted, and also would be considered high level as in this thread

The Five Shens
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21458

this is not high level? yet you present a point of view based on translations and your understanding,,,mine and others come from experience with people who can do what is translated.

my point being you write about a lot of things that help me to understand what I do, and have felt.
my postings are simply sharing some experiences that where/are common everyday happenings while in china, not a "farce"
as you posted in another thread.......

no worries for your threads, for me they are read only 8-) .....

peace out

d
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan