martial ex-pat's: hope your not a bum.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

martial ex-pat's: hope your not a bum.

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Hope you guys out in Asia "living the dream" are taking full advantage of training, competitions, and testing the skills you're picking up!

http://fighters-journey.blogspot.com/20 ... x-pat.html
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: martial ex-pat's: hope your not a bum.

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Then there are those westerners on the touring “seminar” circuit, who have lived or are living “the dream” training abroad somewhere in Asia, and have nothing to show but “blah-blah-blah” theory talk on forums. Nothing to show in regards to competitions, fighting, and real skills of their art in question with non-compliant persons. A lot of talk from these folks, not much walk from them for sure. At best they are able to handle their own students with lesser skills, have good ability to market, and self-promotion. I am not a fan of these chaps in the slightest, especially when they claim secret skills and hidden methods. Most amateur part-time fighters can knock their professional non-fighting ass out cold.

Buyer Beware of these bums, most likely not worth your hard earned money to attend their seminars.

Lastly, there is another ex-pat breed who may not have competed and/or fought, however they are not full-time martial artist, but DO have real skill, are recognized by a lineage and teacher, but on the contrary, are not on the "seminar" circuit, nor active participants in martial art forums, or youtube. Having real skill, these folks are quiet and just keep to themselves. I have met a few and applause them. Bravo!

if one posts on a forum its not good, :-\
the good ones dont post, who then is he applauding 8-)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm

This is the guy doing the 5 tien kan videos
I can see some shortcomings on his site
However he is not a bum
His standard is at least as good as most on this site and better than many
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 pm

How did you come to that conclusion Wayne when it has Matt's ( Neija boxers) name at the bottom of the blog ?
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Guilty as charged!

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:13 pm

My mistake us old guys get confused when people use two names
His name is similar to the other guy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:20 am

time to stop lurking for long enough to say this:

never was very impressed with the training in shanghai, tianjin, or taipei. most of the Chinese folk I have met, even some with big names, really suck. some of them are great, like totally mind blowingly awesome, but only a few and not all of them are willing to share with you. I still haven't met anyone over here as good as my teacher, but on the other hand, I did manage to learn all about tea, erhu, gu qin, I can read classical Chinese now, planning a masters degree about the relationship between dao de jing and meditation at ubc, and still doing gongfu every day.
never been in a competition, never will be, not my reason for practicing. My shoulder is messed up from sanda, so I don't spar that much, i only ever push hands when forced now, but guys like jon niklin from the board can attest to my skills in that department. My MA training may seem less serious that when I showed up in Shanghai, but my life is way more colourful and good than it used to be before coming here.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 am

mixjourneyman wrote:time to stop lurking for long enough to say this:

never was very impressed with the training in shanghai, tianjin, or taipei. most of the Chinese folk I have met, even some with big names, really suck. some of them are great, like totally mind blowingly awesome, but only a few and not all of them are willing to share with you. I still haven't met anyone over here as good as my teacher, but on the other hand, I did manage to learn all about tea, erhu, gu qin, I can read classical Chinese now, planning a masters degree about the relationship between dao de jing and meditation at ubc, and still doing gongfu every day.
never been in a competition, never will be, not my reason for practicing. My shoulder is messed up from sanda, so I don't spar that much, i only ever push hands when forced now, but guys like jon niklin from the board can attest to my skills in that department. My MA training may seem less serious that when I showed up in Shanghai, but my life is way more colourful and good than it used to be before coming here.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. :D

yeah but you not teaching martial arts in asian and you were doing other work in China like teaching English right? my rant was more in regards to the bums who live and train full time then try to pass off as some kind of expert.... doing "seminars" world-wide. I was referring to a some people in my experience in Thailand mostly. I've met a ton of people who live and train and fight in asia or had at one time, then there are others jokers training full time, not testing their stuff in an environment where there is no shortage to fight events. Any major town in Thailand were tourists go.... have at least 3 fight events a week for pro, am, for "farang" ex-pat and tourist fighters. so when i see these folks talking "one punch KO's" of Tai chi chuan fight theory or having superb "Iron body skills" that a Pro muay Thai fighter couldn't penetrate...that type of talk on forums...i could careless about the jizz coming out of their stupid mouth.
neijia_boxer

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

I'd love to see a Thai boxer try to take on my Taijiquan when we're both old.. :P Otherwise, I don't train to be able to take on professional athletes.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:I'd love to see a Thai boxer try to take on my Taijiquan when we're both old.. :P

I've heard this argument from many people for many years. I've given it a lot of thought, and frankly….. my money would still be on the Thai Boxer when you're both 80 ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:23 am

Well, you always get what you deserve.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 am

Matt,
right on man.
Haven't been to Thailand, heard it is fun.

I might think about teaching some seminars later on actually. I feel like the stuff I have learned here is really valuable and it is worth sharing. But to be honest, most guys living out here who do gongfu tend to get eaten by the bar scene or the local weirdness.
My thought is that theory is great on paper, but results are worth sharing. It shouldn't matter if the result is in fighting, health, mind, or all three, as long as you are up front about what you have to share.
One touch KO's and stuff like that should be relegated to the bin already.....

albeit, I have been known to one fart KO after eating mala niu rou.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 am

yeah thailand. were stupid, over-weight, and ugly poser martial artists can go and be a superstar. Cause you can get hot thai bar girl only cause your a walking ATM....un-like in your home country where your just a loser.
neijia_boxer

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 am

a close friend of mine who trains under qian zhao hong said this to me: "you have it all wrong, they are beautiful together. they both get what they want. the old man gets a beautiful woman by his side, and the young lady gets money. They have found a kind of love together."
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:21 am

GrahamB wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:I'd love to see a Thai boxer try to take on my Taijiquan when we're both old.. :P

I've heard this argument from many people for many years. I've given it a lot of thought, and frankly….. my money would still be on the Thai Boxer when you're both 80 ;D

Luckily for me, he'll be dead by then, most likely. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan